Mayo Smells Bad :(

So I made some olive oil mayo on Saturday and love it so much, it tased great!  I used an egg, tasting oil, mustard, lemon juice, salt....blended and came out perfect!  Then on Monday I went to use it and it tasted and smelled off - I put it back in the fridge thinking that it was just me.  Then I tasted it again last night and it was clearly bad, I threw it out.  

The egg I used was Born free, a cage free humanely raised egg that said on the carton it was good until Sept 5th.

Can mayo go bad for any other reason?  Could my lemon have been bad?  Please help....it is pricey to make so I don't want to have this happen again!

Yes, I had it in a sealed mason jar!   it could have picked up a smell from somewhere maybe.  I am going to try again this evening with a super fresh organic egg and see if that makes a difference.  The batch I made on saturday was soooo good and I really want to have it as a good source of fat!

Thank you!!

To be honest I've never had homemade mayo smell bad. I tried the Autoimmune protocol (no eggs) for a month and had forgotten there was some mayo left at the back of the fridge. When I finally discovered it :ph34r: no comments on how often i clean out my fridge please :ph34r: it had actually started to grow mold but the smell was still fine. Can't comment on the flavour, I'll eat a lot but I draw the line at anything mouldy :)

Shouldn't matter if the egg was organic or not. I've made my mayo with both kinds of eggs and it's always lasted at least a week smelling fresh.

Have you checked whether the oil you used has gone rancid? BTW, what is a tasting oil?

Archived