Fruit and digestion

carens19

Still working to reprogram my brain.... I have been educated that since fruit digests so much more quickly than any other food, it should be eaten by itself, prior to a meal, to give it enough time to digest.  If eaten with food, the fruit is "stuck" while the longer digesting food processes and in the interim the fruit can putrify causing digestive issues.   So I am reluctant to eat fruit at the end of my meal even tho I know thousands of people on this program do this.  I am still having some digestive discomfort, possibly due to coffee in the morning, so I am questioning this as well.  Thanks for any insight!

Hey carens19 - I was educated the same about fruit.  I haven't noticed any problems with eating a little fruit after a meal.  Usually - I'm full and skip the fruit.  But - coffee- really messes with my stomach - especially if I put coconut oil in it.  So - my morning drink is now warm lemon water with a little coconut oil mixed in.  Sometimes I put a little cinnamon in it too.  It's delicious and puts a smile on my face.

• Moderators

The idea that fruit will putrify while meat is digesting in your stomach is complete crap. Really. The fear that any food will rot inside your stomach and cause you harm is crap. This is part of the nuttiness that advises you to complete cleansing detox fasts of one sort or another as if your body would be harmed by the contents of your colon if you don't. Our bodies know how to keep clean without us starving them or subjecting them to crazy cleanses or complicated eating rituals. Really, this is fear stuff that has nothing to do with the reality of how the body functions.

What Tom said.

I grew up in an Italian household. We had the large Sunday dinners. We always ate the salad after dinner. The greens and salad dressing (usually just oil and vinegar) were thought to help digestion. Then we had fresh fruit after that, for the same reason.

I'm eating some fresh pineapple right now. A pineapple is a bromeiliad. What is one of the ingredients in digestive enzymes? Bromelian. It's natures meat tenderizer.

Archived