Corn reactions

conniedraws

Has anybody else had strong reactions to corn?

Yesterday was my non-gluten grain evaluation day. I had tortilla chips with guac from Chipotle with lunch. And corn on the cob with ghee with dinner.

After lunch I had a headache and tummy pain. After dinner I had a slight headache and later different tummy pain when trying to sleep. Then most of today I've had a slight headache.

I was surprised by it. Any ideas?

I've known I had sensitivity to corn for about 15 years and have played around with reintroducing it from time to time (corn syrup in foods such as ice cream, corn on the cob, a few tortilla chips now and then).

The almost instant reaction I get is a vaginal drip that usually leaves a milky stain in my underwear, probably a candida-type reaction.

Corn is one of the most reactive, allergenic foods there is. Believe me, life without corn is much better!

We can remember how good something used to taste but that is enough. Now we move on to making clear, informed choices before putting something in our mouths!

When I have any corn (even the tiniest trace), I get the following symptoms:

* stomach ache

* headache

* bad sinus congestion

* painful depressions on my tongue (it looks and feels like my taste buds have dissolved into craters)

* acne on my back

It makes me sad to realize I should never have popcorn again.

Yesterday was my non-gluten grain evaluation day. I had tortilla chips with guac from Chipotle with lunch. And corn on the cob with ghee with dinner.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I am sorry to hear about your sub-optimal reaction. :(

Serious question here: why do people eat corn? It doesn't do much for me. It's a pain to prepare and eat, doesn't taste that great, and kinda, err... passes through the body. I understand it's a pain-in-the-butt ingredient that seems to pop up in a lot of packaged foods, but do people actually prefer it as, say, a side dish?

Yep, may be a cultural thing. I grew up in Mexican family in Texas where we ate lots of corn, tortilla chips, and corn tortillas.  Like several times a week. I sorta miss them. But seeing my reaction to them keeps me away. I'd like to try Popcorn, too but doubt will go over well.

@RVing pilfrim & @angelajl: So corn syrup bothers you too? like anything labeled "high fructose corn syrup"?

Can you tell me specifically what kinds of products you especially have to stay away from? I know its prolific, but what in particular were you surprised about?

@angelajl: So corn syrup bothers you too? like anything labeled "high fructose corn syrup"?

Can you tell me specifically what kinds of products you especially have to stay away from? I know its prolific, but what in particular were you surprised about?

~~~

I never had overt reactions to corn until a few years ago. I grew up eating popcorn, tortilla chips, corn-on-the-cob, corn kernels. You name it, I ate it with - seemingly - no problem. Oh, and I grew up in a Scandinavian family in Wisconsin, and we had corn several times/week!

Nowadays, corn is in everything processed! Listerine strips surprised me. Any kind of breath mints (it seems like they all have corn starch). Nyquil. That one caught me by surprise, though in hindsight, it shouldn't have. Xanthan gum used in many "allergen free" baked goods (it's a micro-organism that feeds off corn). Any processed goods that contain traces of corn. Ideally I'd avoid any of these things.

So that leaves me with eating just things I've cooked at home.

What really grinds my gears is that my antihistamine - which I *have to* take every day for allergies - contains corn!

• 4 years later...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I just finished a Whole 45 and tried to reintroduce corn. I'm having a similar experience, am itchy, have a rash, stomach pain, congestion and 'hang over' feeling this morning. I can't believe all of this after eating a small portion of fresh corn!

If I'm having this reaction to corn, it is worth it to try other forms of "gluten-free grains" in this reintroduction phase? Or should I assume I will have a similar reaction? Not sure how to best go about this reintroduction without it taking a year! I suffer from chronic hives, so this process of reintroducing is very important to me. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Babygrrl04 said:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I just finished a Whole 45 and tried to reintroduce corn. I'm having a similar experience, am itchy, have a rash, stomach pain, congestion and 'hang over' feeling this morning. I can't believe all of this after eating a small portion of fresh corn!

If I'm having this reaction to corn, it is worth it to try other forms of "gluten-free grains" in this reintroduction phase? Or should I assume I will have a similar reaction? Not sure how to best go about this reintroduction without it taking a year! I suffer from chronic hives, so this process of reintroducing is very important to me. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

Ya, if you are trying to find a cause of chronic hives, your reintroduction is going to take longer if you want to sort out all the problematic foods. Sorry, I can't make it go faster for you, it takes as long as it takes if you are reintroducing individual foods. And yes, in your case I would do all the non-gluten grains separately. Quinoa might not react like corn which might not react like rice etc.

Archived