what to do with Cabbage?

ChikomoFitness27

I cook mine the sane way as Amber, also mix it up with a bunch of other veggies. A favourite is red and white cabbage, mushrooms, silverbeet, chopped green beans, kale, ghee and coconut aminos

For me, pork and cabbage go hand in hand. Two of my favorite things...

I like to sautee ground pork (you can usually find some good options at Whole Foods) and red cabbage together, with spices and maybe onions, all in ghee.

If you are feeling adventurous and can find compliant bacon (I have to get it at a specialty butcher), make some compliant mayo, and add both to raw green cabbage for an awesome cole slaw.

Best of luck!

I love cabbage now!  I think sauteed cabbage is the reason I no longer crave buttered pasta.

I often eat cabbage with sausage or eggs for breakfast.  Just a saute with some ghee or bacon fat, salt and pepper works great.  I also love these recipes:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4626288075/chez-panisse-braised-red-cabbage

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

The second one takes a pretty long time, but it's hands-off time while it braises in the oven.  Then, when I'm ready to eat it, I just heat it up at a higher heat with a protein (nomnompaleo's Kalua pig is my fav with this), and it gets a bit caramelized.  Yum! 

I'm a little late to this question but I like a method Mod Tom suggested when I begged for a recipe for kale and Swiss chard (both of which I previously hated but now happily eat almost daily).

Melt some coconut oil or ghee in a sauté pan over medium/high heat.  Add 1/2 cup (or as much as you want) of diced onion and  a clove or two of garlic cut in thick slivers.  Sauté until lightly browned. Add ~1/3 of a small head of shredded red cabbage (I guess you could use green, but I use red) and a splash or two of apple cider vinegar and a small handful of dried cranberries (I get the ones sweetened with apple juice). Stir fry until the cabbage is wilted to your taste. Divide in two bowls, top with your protein of choice and dig in.  This is also a great destination for any leftover steamed veggies you have lurking in your fridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I think cabbage is now one of my favorite foods. Who says that? But seriously, I might eat it everyday. Cooked, raw, fermented, whatever! I have actually found it to have such a really complex flavor - kinda sweet, kinda spicy, crunchy, yuuummmmy. Who would have ever thought cabbage would be one of my favorite foods? Ha!

I use it in place of lettuce sometimes. I find it a little more satisfying because of the crunch. I use the leaves as wraps...when I can successfully break them off without ripping them, that is. 

Here's one of my new favorite salads which I have made with cabbage or massaged kale:

Salad:

Cabbage

Grapefruit

Avocado

Dressing (I don't usually measure, I just make to taste):

Olive oil

Apple cider vinegar

Cumin

Paprika or chili powder or cayenne or chipotle

Salt

Pepper

It's delicious!!!!

My favorite cabbage recipe...

1/2 lb. ground beef

1/2 lb. bulk sweet italian pork sausage

1 sweet onion

1 small head of cabbage

1 jar favorite marinara or tomato sauce

salt and pepper

Mix the beef and sausage together and put in a hot skillet. Brown and break appart. Slice the onion into thin strips and add to the pan, sautee until translucent. Cut cabbage into quarters and core, then cut into thin slices and add to the pan. Toss the cabbage with the meat and onions until mixed, season with salt and pepper, then cover and cook on low until the cabbage has wilted (if your cabbage is already steamed, skip this step). Stir in the jar of tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. I like to add mozzarella and parmesan cheese and throw it under the broiler, but obviously that is not whole30 and it's still tasty without it.

Cabbage, apple, and onions. 

1/2 head cabbage, 1 apple, 1 onion.

If you have compliant bacon fat, you can use that. Start half the onion and apple in a medium pan with some sort of fat (ghee, bacon fat, olive oil), wait 'til they get a little color on them, then pile in half the cabbage, sprinkle in the rest of the onion and apple, then top with the rest of the cabbage. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the pile and put on a lid. Don't stir for at least five minutes, longer if you know your stove top. You want things to pick up some color. Stir (using tongs is easiest), making sure to rotate everything, get some more color on stuff. Cook until cabbage is tender, but not mushy. Finish with a little bit of vinegar (maybe 2-3 tsps), I tend to use apple cider vinegar, but have used umeboshi vinegar, white or red wine vinegar, or this lovely white balsamic I found. Stir to coat/combine. Eat with pork, chicken, or anything. Super yum.

Archived