Losing too much weight... need some advice

kat2021

I don't know if this is the right place for it or not, but I need some advice.

I completed a Whole 60 at the end of May, and I've stayed about 90% on it since then. I have dark chocolate a few times a week, I've had dairy, rice and corn on a few occasions, and I eat white potatoes again.  I've had alcohol a few times, but it makes my seasonal allergies kick up, so I've pretty much stayed away from it.  Otherwise, my diet has stayed pretty much Whole 30 - with plenty of protein and good fats.  I don't limit portions, eat until I'm full, and I've not been restricting carbs or anything else. 

So my problem is, I'm still losing weight.  I've lost about 16 pounds since the end of March (and I was a healthy weight before starting) and I feel like I'm getting close to being too thin - my BMI is just a little over 20, and I know that's still in the healthy range, but bones are starting to stick out a bit! Anyway, I like eating like this and I want to continue, but I'm wondering when the weightloss is going to stop.  Seriously, I eat nearly as much as my husband does, and he's more than double my weight and a foot taller than I am.  Does my body need to get to some kind of a set-point?  Or do I just need to eat more?  I don't like the idea of stuffing myself, but I'm not sure how else to maintain where I'm at.  I exercise moderately (mostly walking and body-weight stuff) and I'd like to pick that up a bit more, but I'm worried I'll drop more pounds if I do.  Any thoughts?

You may need to just eat more fat or more calorie-dense foods (like nuts or nut butters?). That's a way to get more calories without necessarily feeling like you are stuffing yourself.

Can you post a few days of meals to give us a better idea of what, and how much, you are eating?

Yesterday (this is pretty typical - I have the same breakfast and lunch pretty much every weekday) I had about 2 cups of sweet potato curry (sweet potatoes stewed w/shredded coconut & coconut oil, hot peppers, spices) with two poached eggs and black coffee for breakfast.  Later in the morning I had a cup and a half of blueberries, a peach and a handful of mixed nuts.  (I didn't snack much during the Whole 30 period, but I've been trying to up my calories a bit, so I've added in some extra fruit & nuts). Lunch was a big salad (6 cups) of cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, onions, peppers, broccoli, greens, etc. with a can of tuna and dressed w/a few tablespoons of EVOO and some lime juice.  Dinner was a buffalo burger patty w/sliced tomatoes and onions, and two servings of roasted potatoes and summer squash.  Had a few slices of watermelon and half a dark chocolate bar later on.  I'm not normally a calorie counter, but I think I have to be getting at least 2,000 a day - probably more, since I tend to eat my veggies with a lot of olive oil or coconut oil.

I would increase your protein portions. You are on the low end of the template for protein. I am 5'4" with about 20-30 more lbs to lose and I eat 4 eggs for breakfast almost every day and it isn't uncommon for me to eat two burger patties for a meal. As someone who DID calorie count when I started paleo (before W30) I am willing to bet you are still under 2000 calories easy. I was a little surprised at how hard it was to go over 1700 calories once I cut grains, legumes, sugar, and dairy out of my diet.

Have you tried plugging everything into a calorie counter? You might be surprised at how little you're actually eating - veggies are filling but not very caloric!

You might also try:

-avocados: delicious snack, 200-300 calories a pop. I eat them straight with some balsamic and sea salt.

-cook with full-fat coconut milk. Liquid food = easy additional fat/calories without that nasty stuffed feeling.

-eat fattier meat. Tuna is so lean!

Also, randomly, that sweet potato curry sounds DELICIOUS and I think I'm going to try making some because I've been looking for ways to add some variety to my carbs lately.

Archived