Training for my 1st marathon while on my 1st Whole30

hvazquez

I am on Day 4 of my first Whole30.  So far I feel pretty good!  Surprisingly, the hardest thing for me to give up is chewing gum!  :D

I'm doing the Chicago Marathon in October.  I've continued working out as usual, but have not been able to run this week.  Usually, my Saturdays involve a longer run.  What would be the best pre/post workout fuel for this?

I appreciate your input!

Hilda

Pre-WO, even long runs, you want protein and fat... Before my long runs, I do best with 2 HB eggs and 1/2 avo, plus coconut milk in my coffee. Post WO you want lean protein and carbs. Personally, I do canned tuna for my lean protein because its the quickest/easiest source for me. And then sweet potato... Always sweet potato after my runs. :)

Also, as you get into your longer long runs, you'll want to find replacements for those gels/sugar drinks. What has worked best for me is making my own cashew/almond butter, putting it into a ziplock bag & cutting off a tiny corner --- I squeeze it into pitted dates. Freeze them then wrap individually in wax paper. You'll want to keep them frozen until you're ready to leave for your run and also keep them in a ziplock... That way if the nut butter oozes at all from the heat while you're running, the mess wi be contained to inside the ziplock instead of your running belt. I've also been having great luck with coconut water on my long runs.

Good luck with your training!!

Archived