Eppglant reaction, nix FODMAPs?

So I roasted some eggplant in olive oil today and the tiniest amount immediately brings on an Itchy throat/mouth, etc

I'm taking the hint to avoid eggplant but does this mean I should avoid all other nightshades as well?

I love tomatoes and bell peppers and have never had (noticeable) issues with them.

Also, how does this relate to FODMAP foods in general? I don't have a very good understanding of these concepts.

If you noticed the issue with just eggplant, then I would avoid it. If you have never had an issue with tomoatoes and bell peppers, I don't see why you would eliminate them.

I guess I don't understand your question about FODMAP foods. Are you aiming to eat a low FODMAP diet because of digestive issues?

Thanks for the answer. That makes sense.

I guess I'm not sure what really constitutes having enough digestive issues to consider eating low FODMAP.. Would I have to be diagnosed with IBS or some GI disorder? How do you know if your gut needs to heal or if you are intolerant? I think I've read somewhere that symptoms could be subtle or just go unnoticed if you've been dealing with it for a while without knowing what it was?

Like, if I were to go to a general physician, what would I ask them to check for gut/digestive health just because I'm not sure if it's functioning optimally?

Or is it safe to assume that I don't really have a problem if there isn't something constantly bothering me?

Well for myself personally, I wouldn't assume there is anything wrong unless I was being bothered by something. For instance, I'm trying to keep to a low FODMAP diet because I'm having a lot of issues digesting certain veggies and fruits (I found that it was veggies and fruits through elimination and trial/error over the last several months). I get extremely bloated and have really bad gas, and then when I go #2 it's usually the runs. I'm bothered by it every day. The bloating makes me look pregnant, and the gas is so bad that it can clear the room, lol!!! Sorry for the TMI, just trying to give you some perspective. The only time I've had complete relief from my symptoms was for about a week and a half, I basically cut out all fruits and had maybe one serving of veggies a day, and it was a really mild veggie, like squash or something.

I started my W30 and added all the veggies back in, and now I'm back to gas, bloating, runs every day but I'm having trouble sticking to low FODMAP for some reason. I'm going to try again tomorrow to get back on the low FODMAP track so I can end this horrible tummy issue.

So anyway, unless you are having issues on a frequent basis, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Alright, thanks a lot, I am feeling full all the time since I started w30 but I'm also eating more protein than I ever have....hopefully it'll even out, but it's been a few days now..

I'm sorry to hear about your digestion issues, hope your tummy gets better. I knew a girl who had similar problems and squash was her go to veggie and she was doing the GAPS diet, which helped her a lot.

I bet you probably know more about it than I do.

Archived