Anchovies?

Jenn B

Trying to up my calcium intake, heard anchovies are high in calcium.

What can I do to make them interesting (other than salad dressing- I need more than that would provide)

I have never eaten anchovies, but have a can in waiting.

i'm not sure i'd want to eat a protein portion size amount of anchovies - I've only ever had them sparingly, and usually used to season food (cooked in to a sauce for example, where they "melt" in)

I think salmon with bones, and sardines are a good source of calcium...and probably better tasting? or easier to use?

Anchovies are great in small amounts. When they are mushed into ghee or some other heated fat, they melt and nobody knows they are there. Sardines are probably more palatable out of the can.

Tom anchovies in bone broth. Genius.

• 4 months later...

I add a can of anchovies to the pot when I am making bone broth. They add a nutty, salty flavor that really works.

Tom, you ARE a genius! I was just going to post what to do with a large can of anchovies, and found this thread. I used 2 anchovies for a recipe on Christmas Eve, and have the rest of a 28 oz can left. Is that too much to add to a pot of bone broth?

So psyched to make bone broth. We'll be using bones from a deboned turkey  - will likely make this broth tomorrow night.

If you are just trying to get calcium, just eat lots of leafy green veggies, canned tuna and salmon (they leave the bones in and cook them so long the bones disintegrate into the meat, giving it extra calcium) and drink bone broth.

Archived