Could someone help with roasting sweet potatoes please?

rollo

Hey all,

I've read that if you want to roast sweet potatoes, you cut 'em up, then coat 'em in olive oil, add spices, then roast 'em in the oven.

my question is...if we're not supposed to use EVOO for cooking...is it okay to use 'em when roasting the sweet potatoes?

or is there a different way to roast 'em I should be following?

thanks!

Rollo

I don't use any fat at all - they don't come out crispy and brown, but I don't mind!

I try to use CO or ghee for cooking - if I want potatoes cooked in fat, ill melt a bit in a pan, pour it over the potatoes (or just use a roasting dish to melt the oil in and stick the potatoes straight in that) and toss them around til covered.

I use coconut oil, it smells and tastes great. I also sprinkle some good sea salt on them. This week I cut up a rather large sweet potato into 6 pieces and roasted it. Then I put them in the fridge. This way, I had separate servings for each meal, breakfast or lunch or dinner. And all I had to do was nuke it. It tasted a lot better than frozen sweet potatoes.

I think Evoo is not good for frying because it may smoke. I'm not sure about roasting, but I would think with a high temp, it would do the same.

• Moderators

Many of my older recipes called for cooking with EVOO because I did not know any better. Now that I know better, I use coconut oil or ghee for roasting even though it takes more work melting the fat before use instead of just pouring it out of the bottle. So, I did it wrong for at least a year and still got healthier. I am sure my health is improved just a little bit by not using EVOO when roasting now, but the damage from heated EVOO is probably not possible to notice. That is the issue with a lot of things related to what we eat. We can eat lots of things that are not good, but that do not provoke noticeable problems. 

I roast mine in a variety of ways -

halved, spread with ghee or dripping using a knife (no need to melt first), salt and pepper

wedges - melt coconut oil in the tray in the oven first then toss in the HOT fat, salt, pepper and smoked parika

cut into small cubes (often along with any other root veg like carrot, squash, celeriac) - toss with any melted oil and a selection of herbs depending on what you use them for - I add them to salads for lunch or to skillets for breakfast. 

I cut the sweet potato into little chunks. I melt some coconut oil and mix it through the sweet potato chunks and add plenty of black pepper and a pinch of salt and then roast in a roasting tin in the oven. Delicious! Also lovely with some chunks of parsnip mixed in with the sweet potato.

Archived