How Long Will I Lust for Sugar?!?

Just seems that I can't get past it.  I did a 30-day paleo challenge in May and it didn't diminish, I had to have some kind of dessert after dinner every day -- usually mixed berries with coconut "manna" & almond butter. 

Now at Day 5 of my first Whole30 I find myself still wanting sweets constantly & probably eating too much fruit as a result.  Last night I had plantains fried in coconut oil for dessert.  What can I do other than white-knuckle it?  Living long-term with the white-knuckles approach doesn't really appeal to me . . . .

Anyone else feeling less than St-George-like against the Sugar Dragon?

I totally feel your pain. What helps me is having herbal tea after dinner. Trust me- I know how lame that sounds as a dessert substitute. I used to want to punch people who suggested that (please don't punch me), but once I tried it, it really worked. When I slip and start eating fruit and nut butters for dessert, I usually end up completely backsliding right back into true desserts. And there goes my Whole30. Did I mention I'm on my third attempt, only making it to day 17 so far? This time I'm in it for keeps! I think going the entire 30 days without any dessert is the best way to tackle your sugar dragon. After the first couple of weeks, hopefully you won't have to white-knuckle it anymore. Good luck!

You really will have to turn to something that is not sweet to get past it.  This could be tea or olives or some sort of herb-infused water...or it could be a phone call to a friend, a walk around the neighborhood...you pick your calming and distracting activity.  Just keep, the fruits WITH the meal and not AFTER the meal, if you keep them at all.

Giving the sugar dragon (fruity) sugar, will prolong the battle.  Breaking the cycle with a planned distraction tactic will help you overcome!

Burpees and squats also work for some, but gentle has generally worked for me.  ;)

I like to have a healthy after-dinner ritual. For me, I found that drinking apple cider vinegar in water is good for my gut health and I have a big glass after dinner (approx. 2 tbsp vinegar in 1 liter of water). Theoretically I could drink it at any time, but after dinner when I want something more to keep my mouth/hands busy it's a good substitute. I don't look at it as "dessert" although it is very slightly sweet, more like just something to do after dinner while I'm winding down from the day. I think this is the same thing as the tea that other people have suggested.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - I can rotate them in between the white-knuckle days for a change up 😜

The vinegar thing is interesting - used to do it in AM years ago, but never thought to try it as dessert. I'll see how it works for dessert tomorrow.

With the disclaimer that I'm brand new to this and only on Day 12, I would say that a lot of your sugar cravings especially at night are more of a psychological response and I would actually discourage you from putting something else, ANYTHING else, in its place. What's concerning is that feeling of "having to have" some sort of dessert each night, and that's definitely a psychological response in addition to whatever hormonal issues may be causing the actual craving. In order to combat that feeling and behavior of "having to have", in my opinion you've got to cut off the head of the dragon there.

I started this program to rid myself of my intense, undying sugar addiction so I actually have eliminated fruit (outside of a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange into something that I'm cooking). My most difficult time of day is at night because I also have a habit of having some sort of dessert or snack but right now, once I finish dinner, I have an imaginary sign that says "This Kitchen Is Closed". I do eat dinner rather late, usually 7:30pm or 8pm because that's when I'm getting back from the gym but that still leaves me a few hours for my body to do whatever it needs to do before I head to bed.

Remember this program isn't just about changing what you eat, but also how you relate to food and breaking those unhealthy habits. I would also try eliminating fruit. I realized that this is the first time in my life probably since being introduced to baby food that my body is completely free of all sugar and artificial sweeteners. My cravings are still there but not nearly as much as they were. Make sure you're getting enough fat in your meals which helps to keep you fuller longer, and sweet potatoes are a great alternative to fruit. I notice that my palate has already started to change so sweet potatoes are much sweeter than they were before.

The "having to have" part is the crazy lust for sure.  It seems the consensus is to skip the fruit, except as a flavor accent.  Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things, but carb-wise, not much different from fruit like blueberries and an alternative to an alternative <shrug>...  Maybe it will just take me longer to stop craving than I was hoping.

You could try incorporating the fruit into the main meal? Berries and grapes go nicely on salads; a sharp apple sauce is divine with fatty pork; everyone knows about duck-and-orange. I'm pretty sure there's a Middle Eastern dish involving chicken, pomegranete, and pistachio nuts too.

This way you get the different flavour, the different nutrition, and enough of a sweet hint to not feel deprived - but you are using far less and it is...diluted...by the other food, IYSWIM? And it breaks the dessert habit. This seems to be my better option. Similarly, I pair friend plantain with a very savoury beef stew.

@NMG:  Thanks for the additional explanation & the plantain tip, will definitely try that one! 

Thanks to everyone in general for posting with suggestions & trying to be of help.  This is a really awesome community!

I did completely skip meal-ending fruit last night.  Hard to tell if it was will-power or just plain too tired or perhaps the sweet potato hash I made for dinner.  Will repeat the experiment tonight.

Yesterday was my worst day so far in terms of emotional upset, fatigue & crankiness, so I ended up going to bed soon after dinner.  Not the best schedule I know, but I was so lethargic by the time I sat down to eat the dinner that I could hardly get my hand to my mouth.  Seriously.  Glad today's a new day!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am trying to incorporate all the great advice & suggestions.  Some days are better than others in terms of perceived cravings.

The vinegar thing was okay, but didn't see much impact either way.  I'm going to try the herb tea thing tonight -- have a wonderful blend with rooibos, but it also has fruit pieces, so I'm not sure if it would be another alternative to an alternative . . . .

Here's a link to it (I really love their teas in general):  http://www.etsteas.co.uk/?page_id=1027

Last couple nights I have not done the meal-ending fruit, but I have added a little fruit to the meal itself -- like half an apple grated into my massive dinner salad (which is actually really good).  I'm trying just have more dinner if I feel myself wanting something at the end of my meal.

And thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share.  =)

Archived