Should I care about macronutrient ratio?

Emily T

So I have been monitoring my macronutrient ratio throughout the whole30 (not trying to fit a model or anything - just trying to see what it looks like - I'm interested in losing weight in the long run, so I am trying to see at what ratio I seem to be burning fat and feeling the most energy so I can replicate that in future). I'm at about 60% fat, 17-20% carbs, 20-23% protein.  

Of course I understand there is no one "ideal" macronutrient ratio, and that I definitely should NOT be "counting" anything and instead need to go off of what I FEEL. So should I just forget about this ratio? I keep thinking I should increase protein, but I cannot seem to do that without screwing up the meal template and eating more meat. 

Thanks in advance for advice! :)

nope. Counting macros isn't part of the whole30. I know this can be hard to believe, and but for me it is starting to really kick in now (I've been doing this for about a year...). Your body has ways of letting you know what it needs. Sometimes it needs more protein, sometimes more starchy carbs, and that is ok. The meal template is a great framework, and--for me anyway--it has enough flexibility to account for that variation. Are you really screwing up the template? Or are you just having two-palms worth of meat at some meals (perfectly acceptable in the template)? I'm going to bet it is the latter.

There is no "ideal" macro ratio because "ideal" for you will change according to your context (stress levels, exercise levels, sleep, health status, etc.). It is WAY MORE COMPLICATED than calories or macros alone. The very best thing is to relax, provide nourishing nutritious food consistently, avoid confusing your system with irritants, allergens, etc. and listen to your own hunger and satiety signals. Just be aware that it might take a little while to get all of this (+hormones!) in balance, and trust the food template is rigouous enough to give you the nutrition you need in the meantime.

Are you really screwing up the template? Or are you just having two-palms worth of meat at some meals (perfectly acceptable in the template)? I'm going to bet it is the latter.

I'm not screwing up the template, but I feel like I should be eating more meat/protein than what the template suggests in order to get enough protein. But if you say ignore it, then I will!

Also - when you say your body has a way of letting you know what it needs - I guess I just don't know what mine is telling me. I don't feel good. I feel constipated and fat, ALL the time. I wish I could just figure out what to do. 

• Moderators

It takes time for you to become as skilled at recognizing what you should be eating as you are capable of. There are no short-cuts; it takes time. In the meantime, you can't screw up following the meal template. 

I'm nearly ten months into this way of eating now and only just starting to be able to recognise cues re what and how much my body needs. Years of maintaining weight through dieting, measuring, counting and patches of overeating and undereating really took a toll. I still feel a bit heavy but I also feel very healthy, and I am confident that another few months or years of eating this way will result in the right weight for me that will be sustainable with out any "dieting" effort ever needed again - freedom is in sight

The moral of the story is, its a marathon, not a sprint. I think the "change your life in 30 days" mantra really hit home for me and I expected too much too soon? I know this takes time. I'm so impatient and impulsive though. 

Its so hard to go from believing in a formula and learn not to count or measure ANYTHING. To go through the day ignoring calories, carbs, ratios, minutes of exercise, pounds - I have not been able to do that yet. 

The moral of the story is, its a marathon, not a sprint. I think the "change your life in 30 days" mantra really hit home for me and I expected too much too soon? I know this takes time. I'm so impatient and impulsive though.

Its so hard to go from believing in a formula and learn not to count or measure ANYTHING. To go through the day ignoring calories, carbs, ratios, minutes of exercise, pounds - I have not been able to do that yet.

I think it is a life changing 30 days - whether the changes you make are ones you choose to continue for life or not is up to you! To see the changes may take longer though

Good on you Emily for asking the questions and exploring the answers. There are still some things you can experiment with on the way for more immediate assistance. For example many people find extra fat helps with constipation. I know avocado and coconut milk and nuts especially make it worse for me but coconut oil and I think ghee (still not too sure on this) help. Too much fruit causes bloating and fluid retention for me and I think eggs also bind me up. My best weeks are those with not too much fruit and plenty of meat and vegetables it seems... which I usually only see in hindsight when adding extra eggs, nuts or fruit causes an issue. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too. It really helped me to eliminate coffee :( which I know is not possible for some and only just possible for me.

I'm not screwing up the template, but I feel like I should be eating more meat/protein than what the template suggests in order to get enough protein. But if you say ignore it, then I will!

Why do you feel you should be eating more protein than the template? Is it because you have a number of grams or a percentage in your head for what is "best"? or is it because you crave more? If it's a number, just do your best to ignore that. The template has enough protein for 99.99% of people. The percentage ratios seem off because conventional dieting wisdom cuts out fat, not because protein levels are low. This is a case where "conventional wisdom" is wrong. The right kind of fats are important foods for your brain and your body.

Also - when you say your body has a way of letting you know what it needs - I guess I just don't know what mine is telling me. I don't feel good. I feel constipated and fat, ALL the time. I wish I could just figure out what to do. 

There are a bunch of things to try when you are in this adjustment period. As Juzbo suggest, make sure you are hydrated! You might also want to consider digestive enzymes with meals (especially if your diet was low in meat or fat previously). A magnesium supplement, like (plain flavor) natural calm at night can really help with constipation, just follow instructions on the container for gradually increasing the dose.

Exactly right! For me, at the end of 30 days my life was changed in the sense that I felt like I had finally found a way of eating that made me feel good and was worth doing long-term. My life continues to change, though, because my body still suprises me with new levels of energy and strength and more consistant good moods and more that I wouldn't have imagined. Oh, and I've lost 40lbs without weighing or counting or going hungry. Only one of those was during the first 30 days.  :)

It did change a lot for me. If anything, I learned that I can give up diary, wine, chocolate and eggs for 30 days and still eat well.

I also stopped eating every 2 hours and stopped having sugar high/lows. That was huge for me.

I am still struggling with some constipation even after 30 days and taking magnesium and enzymes. But I think there are also other factors at play (my digestive system is sensitive to changing weather patterns).

So the 30 days did change my life, it pointed it in a new direction that I needed and now I know I can do it for 30 day increments or longer.

Why do you feel you should be eating more protein than the template? Is it because you have a number of grams or a percentage in your head for what is "best"? or is it because you crave more? If it's a number, just do your best to ignore that.

I think you are definitely right. I am really trying to figure out why I think I need more, and cannot come up with a good reason. Conventional wisdom is hard to shake.

It did change a lot for me. If anything, I learned that I can give up diary, wine, chocolate and eggs for 30 days and still eat well.

Agreed, and I am grateful for this. I never thought I could give up diet coke, chocolate, yogurt, or hummus for 30 days!!! I never EVER thought I would be able to adjust to not snacking between meals. That has been the best! I am not hungry in-between meals! My nails are stronger, hair and skin look better, more energy, etc. I am thrilled that I have been able to do this without a lot of struggle. 

But to be totally honest, I am having difficulty focusing on the positive because it pales comparison to the discomfort of constipation and digestive distress.

I appreciate the suggestions but I have tried everything - I am taking Natural Calm regularly (been taking it 2 weeks, no matter what dose, it either does not work or gives me diarrhea) - I take digestive enzymes with each meal (the NOW super enzymes 2-3 each meal) - I am VERY hydrated (carry a water bottle with me everywhere, refilling it all the time) - I am eating a lot more greens and vegetables now than I was previously - I try to avoid a lot of nuts - I don't particularly like coconut oil but have been trying to incorporate it more (I usually use olive oil) - I don't drink coffee, only water and herbal teas - I don't eat a lot of fruit (I was at about 1 serving per day - but haven't been having any in the past few days) - I take a daily probiotic - I get plenty of sleep (in bed around 9:30 and up around 7) - I walk daily and in the morning I do yoga poses that relieve constipation.

I feel like I'm at my wits end. I really do not know what else to do. 

I know, it sucks! I've spent the last year 'fixing' my digestive system. I went from having chronic diarrhea to constipation :angry: . After I eliminated everything that caused the D, my system just shut down. I got some good advice to add the magnesium and probiotics. But then when I went on W30, there was another change and that caused the C to come back. I'm not sure what is going on now.

Have you tried any fermented products? I think they are a great help. The few times I've tried them, they did improve my digestion. I might have some today to see if that helps.

I think for some of us that aren't used to eating this much veggies are having an issue with this.

Thats a good idea. There is a Korean market nearby, maybe I will try some Kimchi. I've never eaten it before - honestly it looks gross to me :) but the whole30 = open mind!!!

I also ordered a new brand of probiotics (the Jarrow allergen free) to see if that helps. I should have them by Wednesday. 

Okay, this post has me inspired! I am hereby committing fully to not measuring, counting, calculating ANYTHING. Not just for the whole30 but afterward too. Knowing how many calories and carbs and etc I am eating isn't helping me to feel good or lose weight, and its just an added stress. 

I have a new idea that I hope might be worth pursuing. I have a little moleskin notebook. I want to write down what I eat, what supplements I take and how much, and how I'm feeling - every time I get gas, every time I experience digestive distress, if I'm fatigued, if I'm breaking out, etc. I think this might help me to listen to my body better and identify what is going on. 

Emily , I came to this from a mostly paleo diet but I was calculating macros and counting calories. I was fixated on lowering my body fat to look like the amazing fitness models who i admire on Facebook . I committed to weighing and measuring nothing for thirty days. I wasn't reaching my goals by doing so anyway. I am trying so hard to become intuitive about diet and training. Eat when hungry, no emotional binge eating, no forcing myself to exercise when my body is exhausted. I have read so many times that physique goals fall into place once you focus away from them and onto health and well being.

Do you peel your sweet potato? If you do, don't ! Chop them fine and roast in oil, the fibrousy peel will help your digestion. I think your diary idea sounds perfect : )

I have a new idea that I hope might be worth pursuing. I have a little moleskin notebook. I want to write down what I eat, what supplements I take and how much, and how I'm feeling - every time I get gas, every time I experience digestive distress, if I'm fatigued, if I'm breaking out, etc. I think this might help me to listen to my body better and identify what is going on. 

That is a great idea. I've been doing that since I've been reintroducing food, but it makes a lot of sense to do it while on W30 so you can gauge what may have been good or not so good in what you are eating and how you feel.

I went to Whole Foods today and bought a bottle of Kombucha. People rave about it. I was only able to drink some of it, it made my mouth tingly. It has almost a beer smell. It's fermented. I may try to make some on my own. There is a thread here on it.

I started Whole 30 in January and have been following the template since then.  The whole time I've also kept a log of what I eat (not quantities, just the items) and my sleep and activity.  It's been very helpful in seeing progress (improving sleep and energy) and in figuring out what foods are causing reactions when.  If you're having constipation, it may be a food that your body doesn't like, but you're still eating.  If you haven't heard of the Bristol Stool Chart, google it.  It's a handy way to assess more objectively how bad your constipation (or diarrhea) is from day to day.  

Emily T... Regarding the digestive issues -- have you tried apple cider vinegar? I've been on digestive enzymes for a few months but phasing them out to save some $$$. I recently started drinking about 1 tbsp ACV mixed with water (a few swigs worth) 2-3x per day before meals and I noticed a big difference with that. There was an adjustment period of 1-2 days where I had a bit of D, but overall I feel like it has helped. And I agree with the person who suggested fermented veggies. I make my own sauerkraut and I swear I notice a big difference when I'm eating it regularly (1-2x pet day).

Archived