Day 6 started August 5th. Cravings are killer!

Tyler_Monier

The wife and I started this program because one we are both overweight, two I'm type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure, and cholesterol levels are not great. We have a 18 month old daughter, and recently I started having dreams/worries that I wouldn't even live past 35. (32 now).

At any rate a few friends, and a cousin went Paleo which sparked interest in what they were doing. I came across theclothesmakethegirl.com during a google search. Which then led me to find this site. After a lot of reading/studying we decided to jump in.

The first 5 days seemed to go okay with headaches, stomachache, etc. however Day 6 is killing me with mood swings, cravings, and it feels like my body is at an all out war with me. Doing everything it can to push me to quit, and go back to eating fast food, Chinese take out, hot wings, oooh hot wings. I am working on these cravings, but it is taking a LOT of will power that I just don't feel like I have. Doing my best, but holy crap I didn't believe it would be this tough!

For breakfast last week we had a Frittata packed with squash, and sweet potato. Lunches were tuna with olive oil mayo, used butter leaf lettuce to wrap it, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a side of grapes or cantaloupe. Then our dinners were a cook up from Sunday. I did a mass grilling of chicken breast & thighs, couple of pork steaks, and browned some ground beef. We did the whole steam/sauté a ton of veggies we picked up at the farmers market (squash, zucchini, asparagus, okra, green beans, cabbage, and peppers).

Tonight we grilled burgers, topped it with an over easy egg and guacamole. Used a leaf of green leaf lettuce to wrap it. Sides with cumin-roasted carrots and a few grapes.

Overall I've been really happy with all of the food, but those feelings for the foods I so loved before are really pressuring me and my wife right now.

I agree with amberino but what really helped me through these couple of tough days was to just add in an extra meal.... took my mind off food for a bit longer and a couple of extra nutritious meals in the scheme of things is well worth being able to continue. That said, I often squeezed in a walk before the meal too as that helped delay my appetite a bit and I felt a bit better having the meal as sort of a post WO snack... but I always followed the template so I couldn't think it was a treat meal/snack

Tonight my after dinner blood sugar tested 92 which it hasn't been in forever. Before we started this journey I was running 180-200. So that little number that appeared on the screen helps make this all worthwhile.

I appreciate the responses, and tonight we did go out for a walk. To my surprise it did help disguise the want for those foods. So far I have been able to make it with the three meals and have minimal hunger in between.

Your food and your progress sound great!! 

I just wanted to mention that, unless it's a food-with-no-brakes for you, you can totally make compliant hot wings! You can google around, but basic buffalo chicken sauce can be made from compliant hot sauce, and ghee! 

Here's a Melissa Joulwan recipe that you might like: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/03/buffalo-chicken-chopped-salad-other-super-bowl-recipes/

Good luck, you sure seem on the right track! 

I meant to grab some unsalted butter this week but forgot. I will be making some how wings next week!

For the past few days I have had a ton of muscle cramps/charlie horse like pain. Is this normal? Am I missing out on a nutrient?

You may need magnesium, dehydration may also be an issue - even salt! Are you adding a good quality salt to your food?

Probably not a good enough quality. I have added sea salt here and there though. I drink 220-300ounces if water a day so dehydration in that sense should be good I would assume. That and we actually only drink water. I will see what I am doing magnesium wise though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived