House-made pickled vegetables and deal breaking oils?

greeneggsandsam

My first night out since starting the Whole 30, day 11, and I ordered the house-made pickled vegetables as a starter (no sugar, if bartender was accurate; included olives, rutabaga, carrots, wild cucumber).  They were super vinegar-y, salty, and acidic.  Just wanting confirmation that these sound ok.  

I also ordered a single filet kebab with grilled veggies for my meal.  I know non-pasteured beef is not ideal, but in moderation and with fat trimmed, were these five small cubes of meat ok? This was filet, very lean, but I'm not sure of the cooking oil.  The veg and meat were not oily at all, in fact the veggies were nearly dry, but I didn't proactively ask.  Sad, I know, but I remember reading a daily newsletter from Melissa and Dallas about eating out, and aside from grass fed protein and "griddled" veggies, I don't recall them making a big deal about the oil.  

Is not asking about the grilling oil a deal breaker?  I vaguely remember hearing that it would be nearly impossible to eat out if all oils called for a re-start, but can someone confirm?  If there was non-compliant oil, it was very very minimal.  

Advice?  Thanks!

I doubt the bartender really knows the ingredients of the pickled veggies. It may have contained sugar. I would just carry on. The kebobs were a good choice. They may have used canola. Not a deal breaker. I hope they didn't use soy. If you felt like it, you could always add some days to your 30, but really, without grilling everyone about ingredients (I hate doing that) you did well. :0)

Soy is the most common oil used for cooking in the restaurants I have been to since my first W30.  I grill the managers about their grills every time and always ask for food to be prepared in a clean pan if the grill is contaminated with soy.

For the amount of effort and commitment I give to a Whole30, I want to make sure I eliminate everything and come out as clean as I possibly can, without cooking every single meal myself.

In my recent experience, management often takes these things very seriously and is very helpful.  We had visitors who expected to eat out and the three restaurants were all great.  At Carrabba's they were thinking gluten-free and offered to clean the grill and season it, but the oil would be soy.  They cooked my food in a clean pan in olive oil.  There is not 100% guarantee, but they definitely don't want to make anyone sick, either.

Archived