Hi everyone! I have been struggling with acne for almost a couple of years now. A friend of mine has talked me into going paleo. In doing so, I was getting almost no carbs. My skin was starting to improve after about 3 weeks. However, In that time, I lost over 14 lbs. I blame that on me not getting enough healthy fats to keep my calories up. Since I lost so much weight, I decided to start weightlifting to put on muscle. I increased my carb intake and started eating 1-2 sweet potatoes a day... and little by little. . My skin Was getting bad again. I also have other symptoms of candida overgrowth such as brain fog, lots of mucus In my throat, hair falling out BY THE ROOTS, mood swings, depression and my bowel movements are EXTREMELY irregular. I wish I knew how to get rid of this! On paleo, I'm also doing the autoimmune protocol and low fodmaps diet as well. The only things I have been eating are meat, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, kale, spinach, bok choy, ginger and sea salt. I cook or steam all the veggies. I'm not eating fruit. In doing this, I am losing weight again! I'm wondering if I can still reduce the candida if I'm only eating about half a sweet potato after a workout? Im also worried about consuming too much fats. Ive been known to chug 4 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil right before bed just to get my calories up. Very sickening! There was also an article that I read about how weightlifting can cause more candida. Does anyone agree or disagree with this? As of a few days ago, I've been drinking 3-5 tsps of Apple cider vinegar a day, taking probiotics and cod liver oil. I also take a prenatal. My digestion hasn't improved. I had diarrhea but that's about it. Sorry for such Personal information, buthow else can I explainwhat I'm going through? Another article I read stated that you shouldn't eliminate all sugars because candida will travel up your intestines to try and find something to thrive on! Sorry this is all over the place as I am posting this from my phone. So all in all, What do you all suggest? Could this be candida overgrowth? If so, What should I do? I know some of you may tell me to go get checked, but I cannot afford to at the moment, which is why I turn to this forum. I know stressing out about it doesn't help, but I can't help it:(

I'd encourage you to work with an integrative doc to determine if you in fact have Candida. I was convinced I had it, but testing revealed I instead had parasites, leaky gut, inflammation, multiple food sensitivities, and gut dysbiosis. Candida was not the issue. The symptoms you describe can be from many different causes. I'd really encourage you to work with a doctor to get to the root of the issue. Some of your symptoms are also similar to hypothyroidism, which can be made worse by low/no carb.

In the meantime, consider probiotics, bone broth, coconut oil, and improving your overall gut health. Since it sounds like some of your symptoms returned when you started eating sweet potato, so consider eliminating that for a while and replacing it with other starchy carbs.

Thank you, but I can't afford a doctor. I will continue this low carb approach, only eating a little starchy carbs post workout. Ill continue my probiotics, milk thistle extract, cod liver oil and prenatals and the daily reccomended amount of acv. I will be consuming 3-6 tbsps of extra virgin coconut oil. Ill keep everyone updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Nicole,

Without some basic lab testing, you have no idea whether you are barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. I know some of these tests are expensive, but if you don't get better with your own treatment plan, consider saving up or reprioritizing so you can at least get a comprehensive stool test, to see if you do, indeed, have candida overgrowth or perhaps some other form of dysbiosis or parasites, as Karen mentioned.

Best of luck to you,
Melissa

Archived