Re-using saturated fats

jharvey

When I was younger (and still to this day) in my parents' fridge you'd find a dish of lard. This lard has been in there for months being used mostly to fry bacon, sausages and eggs. Once the lard has cooled a little, it is poured back into the dish along with all the yummy bits of (now slightly singed bacon) and placed back into the fridge to await the next fry-up.

Now I find myself frying bacon, sausages and eggs in lard and would love to do the same as my folks rather than throwing out the used fat every time. However I find myself questioning whether continually re-heating saturated fat over a period of weeks/months will make it less healthy or is it that robust that it really doesn't care...

Anyone have any opinions/science?

Thanks.

personally I use my pan to continue cooking things in for about 3 or 4 days - I actually leave it out on the stove...so I can't imagine what would be wrong with storing it in the fridge. don't have any science behind it, just know I'm too lazy to wash my breakfast skillet every morning...

We drain our bacon and other fat into a jar that stays on the counter. I use it for cooking somethings. I believe saturated fat is much ore stable than vegetable oils and can be reused. I just bought some good fats from Fatworks and in their literature they state that the fat can be reused.

Archived