starting August 12

EricaV

Hello, I am very new here and I am not sure why today is the day, well tomorrow actually.

except that I had a great day today with 3 beautiful meals, 2 of which I shared with my husband and teenage son and yet, at the end of the day the chocolate (in the form of a paleo treat, organic dark, mixed with coconut oil, almonds and coconut) was once again irresistible.

After 2 months of paleo/primal eating I am feeling the benefits and am very pleased to have made it this far, but I am now realising that there is some behaviour that needs to change, so by making this commitment to 30 days (how hard can it be.....) I am making sure it will work, despite life being so full and busy and having turned 50 this year....

looking forward to reading other's experiences and sharing ideas- 30 days to go..... ;)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I am starting tomorrow too. My son and his wife have done well and enjoy the Paleo diet. I've found hitting 50+ challenging to maintaining a healthy weight. Discovered this web page yesterday, ordered the book, and even though I swore off falling for all the diet fads in trade for a balanced diet, I really believe this way of eating should be healthy and not a fad. Sugar addiction beware! Best to you!

My husband and I are starting today too. I have a feeling the sugar will be my biggest problem as well. Started cooking some of the recipes this week to get the hang of it and figure out a grocery list. Excited to see how this works for our family with 2 small children (6 and almost 2 yrs old) and my husbands crazy work schedule.

Glad I found a couple of people to keep track with  :) . Off to make breakfast!

great to meet some other newbies starting today!

I woke up several times last night as we had a wonky smoke alarm going off.....this had me thinking in the middle of the night about today.....a bit scary to see if this will work in "real life" but I agree, this is not a fad diet, this is a way of life.

I made my "list" of what to do when cravings strike: exercise, walk, read these messages, distractions, think about steamed broccoli and fish.....

good luck all of you

Hello you mentioned that you "at the end of the day the chocolate (in the form of a paleo treat, organic dark, mixed with coconut oil, almonds and coconut) was once again irresistible"

How is this possible? Is this something you made..... bought......? I'm withdrawing for sugar and its only been 1 1/2 days.  Any advice would be great!!

I'll be joining you tomorrow for Day 1! This will be Round 2 for me. I did the July W30 but left for vacation on Day 26 and loosened up the diet for the past two weeks. I'm looking forward to being strict again. Too many paleo cookies.... :)

Hello you mentioned that you "at the end of the day the chocolate (in the form of a paleo treat, organic dark, mixed with coconut oil, almonds and coconut) was once again irresistible"

How is this possible? Is this something you made..... bought......? I'm withdrawing for sugar and its only been 1 1/2 days. Any advice would be great!!

I think Erica is partly doing the whole 30 because even after eating satisfying, nourishing meals she still feels the need for treats (like the choc creation she mentioned).....that's definitely not whole 30!

Wait til after to make your own treats - if you need them! They're a lot better for you than regular chocolate.

Jennifer, as Amberino said- my main reason to do the Whole 30 is to change my behaviour and eliminate the need for sweet treats at certain times of the day, mostly in the evening. the paleo treat I made is lovely and I am happy to share the recipe but maybe once we are done with our Whole30 ;)

I thought I was a pretty good label reader but today I realised the lovely bacon (Free Farms ) has sugar in it, the lovely smoked salmon I like to have with scrambled egg and greens for breakfast, you guessed it...golden syrup......

I am going to be sooo careful this month, I am sure I have been getting more sugar than I realised in the past few months, even though I have been trying hard to be as paleo as possible and am so looking forward to being free of sugar :D

Hi Erica

I'm also starting today. I've used about a month to remove all grain from my diet. I'm from Norway and here people look strangely at u if you don't eat bread for breakfast, lunch and evening meal :)

But I'm now ready to eat meals without ingredients. 

Having been allergic and inflammatory for one reason or other all my life (39 years now) this Paleo thinking has given me many thoughts on how to improve may daily life. I've already noticed a huge difference in my energy level. 

However, because I've a lot of inflammation I'm doing a Whole49. hehe

Hope we can give some support and frustration and happy posts here :-)

Trina

My husband and I started today, too (he's Adam, I'm Andrea). We have two kiddos who will be joining us as soon as the bread for school lunches runs out. We're doing this as much for them as for us, as we've noticed behavior changes and a general look of unhealthiness in both our kids.

We've been eating low-carb, high protein for a while with a major exception for me: Coke. I would get one or two 32-oz (yikes!) fountain Cokes every day. This and the no nicotine will be a huge hurdle for both Adam and me! We've planned and prepped as much as possible - now to move on and try NOT to think about food 24-7!

Good luck to everyone!

Andrea

My husband and I started today, too (he's Adam, I'm Andrea). We have two kiddos who will be joining us as soon as the bread for school lunches runs out. We're doing this as much for them as for us, as we've noticed behavior changes and a general look of unhealthiness in both our kids.

We've been eating low-carb, high protein for a while with a major exception for me: Coke. I would get one or two 32-oz (yikes!) fountain Cokes every day. This and the no nicotine will be a huge hurdle for both Adam and me! We've planned and prepped as much as possible - now to move on and try NOT to think about food 24-7!

Good luck to everyone!

Andrea

Hi Andrea

I'm a social smoker and will have some head-banging and backpaddeling happening in my next work-related event. Good luck to u and yours.

Ok, so I said I was starting my second Whole 30 today, but I talked to my husband, looked at the calendar, and we decided to do a Whole 100 together (!) for the 100 days leading up to Thanksgiving (November 28 this year). That means we're officially starting next week Monday, but we'll use this week to stock the fridge and pantry, try out some recipes, and make a plan. Like I mentioned, this will be my second round, but it'll be my husband's first, so I'm sure this will be a challenge. :)

Good luck to everyone starting this week!

I'm also starting today! Have been dabbling with paleo/primal for a few months, and my biggest hurdle will be living without honey in my tea and coffee. Though I've at least made it through the first morning with unsweetened tea...and I survived :) 

Hi Erica. I also have teens in the house and have had to deal with non-Paleo foods being around. I'm on Day 2 of the Whole 30 after 3 weeks of a Paleo diet on my own and falling off the wagon a couple of times. At 48 and 255 pounds, I would like to lose 75 pounds (180 is a good weight for me, as I'm big-boned). I'm doing pretty well with the food planning, shopping, and cooking, but I'm looking for a buddy on this forum I can email when I'm tempted to give up or eat something I know I shouldn't. I do email a Paleo trainer through Robb Wolf's website, and I share my weekly goals with her, but I think I need more support. My hubbie is supportive and tries to cook stuff I can eat, and my teens are actually trying to eat less carbs themselves, but I'm the one in the house who is seriously overweight and has the most to lose (no pun intended). One thing my husband and I did this weekend to support me was to put his frozen treats and chips in containers with combination locks, so only he and the kids can get to them. My downfall is usually stumbling upon one of their treats late at night when I'm having cravings and can't resist. We don't keep many treats in the house, but now what is here is out of reach.  Anyway, I wish you the best of luck as you start out. If I can help with anything, let me know.

My husband and I started today as well!  I've been reading the book and preparing for a few weeks.  I had a wedding and baby shower to attend last weekend and lake trip and class reunion this past weekend, so today is the day.  Good luck to everyone.  This will be a major diet overhaul for our household, so I will be around for support, recipes and ideas!  I will need all the help I can get! :)

Wow, lots of folks starting today! My hubby and I are starting today as well. We did a successful W30 back in January, so we have some idea of what's in store for us. Spent the bulk of the weekend cooking and shopping, so I feel pretty positive about it being a successful week. Hope everyone is having a good first day today.

M

Hi Erica. I also have teens in the house and have had to deal with non-Paleo foods being around. I'm on Day 2 of the Whole 30 after 3 weeks of a Paleo diet on my own and falling off the wagon a couple of times. At 48 and 255 pounds, I would like to lose 75 pounds (180 is a good weight for me, as I'm big-boned). I'm doing pretty well with the food planning, shopping, and cooking, but I'm looking for a buddy on this forum I can email when I'm tempted to give up or eat something I know I shouldn't. I do email a Paleo trainer through Robb Wolf's website, and I share my weekly goals with her, but I think I need more support. My hubbie is supportive and tries to cook stuff I can eat, and my teens are actually trying to eat less carbs themselves, but I'm the one in the house who is seriously overweight and has the most to lose (no pun intended). One thing my husband and I did this weekend to support me was to put his frozen treats and chips in containers with combination locks, so only he and the kids can get to them. My downfall is usually stumbling upon one of their treats late at night when I'm having cravings and can't resist. We don't keep many treats in the house, but now what is here is out of reach.  Anyway, I wish you the best of luck as you start out. If I can help with anything, let me know.

hi, I am with you on this one! My hubby and son are supportive but don't want to give up their bread and grains. Hubby is dairy free, so that helps and I have noticed my son making better food choices and even saying he loves having all this good food around! 

It's certainly a good idea to not have temptations in the house, I find.

I did loose weight on the paleo diet but, like with any diet, it's always easy to cheat, I love nuts and nutbutters, say no more....

my weight has actually been stable but I'd like to loose the last few kg that, at my age, seem to settle round the middle ;)

good luck to you and keep writing

hi Trina,

here is New Zealand too bread is a major part of the diet, almost as much as Holland, where I grew up. A lot of my friends find it very strange that I don't eat grains, not even rice or quinoa, but I don't miss that at all!

I do miss yoghurt at the moment and dark chocolate ;)

luckily for me I have some friends locally who have been living very clean paleo for some time now, so having that example is wonderful

good luck to you

So excited to see more posts. Just finished lunch and am having a good day. My husband has a headache but once he ate felt a lot better.

Andrea - I have 2 kiddos also that are doing the whole 30 and we are letting them finish up some of the dairy products (milk, cottage cheese) but the rest of the meals they are eating with us and as soon as that is gone they will be on it 100% also. I will be interested to see how it affects there attitude and energy levels. 

Hope everyone is having a good day 

Cristy

Hi Martha

I am 177cm and 100 kg. And cravings I know all about. Ive found that fresh ginger slices and lemon slices in a cup with boiling water satisfies my need for sweet, spicy and negative thoughts. AND it does wonders for your immune system and particularly your kidnies.

As I live in Norway and get up half a day before u I m not an ideal email friend but u are welcome to message me if the cravings arrive in the morning :-)

Trina

Anyone have good tips for coping with social pressure? Having done strict paleo off and on, I've found that it's not my cravings that are my downfall, it's the pressure from coworkers, parents, friends, my boyfriend, etc. etc. If I'm going to make it through, I know I'll have to have a great strategy for coping with these folks!

Hi All!  My name is Raechel.  My husband and I started W30 today.  I am 36, he's 41 and we have triplet daughters that are 8.  We've been making changes in our eating habits for the last two years, but have never done a W30 before.  I think I can handle the eating, my big challenge is going to be still fixing meals for us as well as the kids.  They are great veggie eaters, but not sure they could cut out dairy and grain completely.  We did well tonight though, so hopefully it will continue to go smoothly.  I think food prep is going to be my best friend for a while.  It's going to all have to be ready to go the night before for us to be able to function well.  Looking forward to getting to know you all. 

Archived