starting August 12

EricaV

A while back I told you all that my husband and I were retrying veggies we didn't like as children. My nemesis was Brussels sprouts (now in the weekly rotation). His was beets, which we had last night. He enjoyed them. I love that W30 is making me expand the veggie repertoire and try new recipes. We absolutely never have plain boiled/steamed veggies anymore and I don't think we ever will again!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy, I've been having some symptoms that make me feel like I've been glutened. Eyelid rash (a symptom of trace gluten exposure for me), pain in my left side and now GI issues. I'm also a bit grumpy and my energy is not the greatest. I can't figure out where it might be coming from, but I'm beginning to wonder if the "deal" I got on oil wasn't such a deal after all. Other than that everything is fresh, whole food that I prepare myself. Weird. It's been plaguing me since sometime during week 1.

Amy, I've been having some symptoms that make me feel like I've been glutened. Eyelid rash (a symptom of trace gluten exposure for me), pain in my left side and now GI issues. I'm also a bit grumpy and my energy is not the greatest. I can't figure out where it might be coming from, but I'm beginning to wonder if the "deal" I got on oil wasn't such a deal after all. Other than that everything is fresh, whole food that I prepare myself. Weird. It's been plaguing me since sometime during week 1.

How about traces of soy? I get the same symptomes from soy gluten that u are describing

Hi everyone, I missed you!

I've had a wonderful weekend away (although pretty sedentary due to weather) and managed to stay on track!.  The first night, when everyone was drinking wine was tough, but I did it.  My friends were very supportive, I brought lots of high quality food and did a lot of the cooking.  And I really didn't have too hard a time when everyone else was drinking and eating chocolate bars.  (Well, a little, but I had a few pieces of apple and that seemed to calm me down.)  i am amazed that I was able to do this.

To Amy and others - I've been having some GI problems too, particularly after my first meal of the day.  I was trying digestive enzymes but I wasn't sure if it was making it worse so I plan to consult my doctor.  I too have a history of IBS and gluten intolerance.  But my unscientific theory is this:  it's the coffee.  I usually drink half caff at home.  Over the weekend we only had full caffeinated.  And I could really feel the effect on my nervous system.  I think since there's less stimulation from sugar and other garbage, my body is really reacting more to caffeine.  I had the problems in the morning, after drinking a cup of joe, and not afterwards.  So I am very, very, very sad, but I think I need to experiment with getting off the black juice  :(

I don't know how cold turkey I'm gonna go, but if I figure anything out, I will report back.

Lizzie

Amber, I have been learning to like sweet potatoes and beets in order to keep my carbs up (not a huge fan of fruit). Guess it's time to add an apple and/or blueberries somewhere. I have dropped carbs dramatically, but its a good thing (I was drinking 1-3 48oz. fountain Cokes every day). I am hoping my body evens out soon.

On a funny note, I had my first food dream. I was eating guac and chips with friends. When I realized, 'CHIPS!!' I got so upset that I woke up! lol

Trine, I hope you get that UTI taken care of quickly! Ouch!

Big cookup scheduled for today and a day at my parents coming tomorrow (where I get green beans, tomatoes, serrano peppers, and fresh eggs, WHOOHOO!). Happy Sunday, everyone!

Andrea

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I had a doozy of a food dream last night.  I searched out and ate a chocolate bar and then felt completely freaked out and worried about having to start at Day One again.  Imagine my shock when my hostess told me this morning that someone had been night eating, going for the chocolates and marshmallows in the fridge.  I thought, OMG, was it me?! Fortunately another guest reported being unable to sleep and going for the sweet stuff.  Phew!

Hi y'all!  I'm sad to say I have to start over, but I'm ok with that.

I played in a tennis tournament this weekend, and just could not physically keep going without having *something* off plan.  There are only so many bananas a person can eat.  

So, I'm in my final tomorrow (whoo hoo!), lost in the semis in another draw today.  So finally only one match tomorrow (after two days of two or three matches in the heat and humidity).  Tuesday I'll get back on the wagon!  *thumbs up*

Yeah for you!  tennis the whole weekend?  You are kicking some exercise booty!!  Even if small bits of setbacks on food, you are so much more prepped for this on Tues, and we're all right here with you, regardless of where we started and ended. 

Well, I cheated.

I shared a bottle of red wine with my long-distance boyfriend on Saturday after having been apart for three weeks. We often enjoy a bottle of wine together, and in celebration of our reunion, we were out at an incredibly fancy steak house in downtown Chicago and... it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

I'm plan to carry out the remainder of my thirty days without an other slip-ups, but let me tell you:

IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

At the time, I really really really had convinced myself that I was doing the right thing. I didn't feel like crap the next day, but I did have that lingering feeling that I failed the challenge I had set before myself, and it remains today.

So, now I'm just plain old paleo-ish again, and it kind of sucks.

I am coming up to the last few days of my first Whole30 and am really contemplating how to go on.

I feel good on this meal plan and I need to stay away from snacking for the long term, so may just stay as I am and add the occasional treat?

I think my weight is stable, while I was hoping to loose a little- not much needed but the belly still seems to be keen to stay.

Having read a lot about menopause and the experience of other (slim) woman with belly fat I don't think it's unusual, just frustrating.

but otherwise I am very happy with the energy, sleep, lovely meals!

anyone here has any thoughts on menopause yet? ;)

Hi everyone :) I'm back from my vacation! I decided to give myself a few more days off before restarting the Whole30 challange and I have to admit it is because I was enjoying eating some non-compliant foods and seeing how I felt after.  It really isn't terribly worth it so I've started my emails for tomorrow and stocked my fridge so I'm ready for a fresh start again. I'm excited to get two weeks in again so I feel better!

I think everyone is doing amazing from the sounds of it! I'm not sure if my memory is going to serve me well here but I had a few comments running through my mind!

@Amy-I had celiac like stomach problems last week. I was pretty close to 100% compliant, with only plain white rice. Maybe it's just part of the cleansing aspect of the challange rather than actual glutening. I'll know in three weeks time if it happens again!

@Trine-did you get treated for your UTI??? I hope you did and are in recovery! UTI's are one of the most painful and annoying infections in my opinion!

@Carrot-How about extending your Whole30 with me?? You're right, the slips just aren't worth it! I am so pumped to make it a full 30 days!

@Erica-from my need to back off the Whole30 to find safe food last week I can say with confidence that reintroducing foods is a fine art.  Turns out dairy products are really not good for me if I eat them alone.  I am thinking that after this challange they will have to stay banished.  It's hard to figure out which food is causing which symptom though if there isn't a delay between new foods. I'm only 90% sure it's dairy right now.

@the ICU nurse (I can't remember your name right now! Sorry!)-We're restarting together and it will be fantastic. I'm sticking around this board :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend if they are in Canada/US!

I am coming up to the last few days of my first Whole30 and am really contemplating how to go on.

I feel good on this meal plan and I need to stay away from snacking for the long term, so may just stay as I am and add the occasional treat?

I think my weight is stable, while I was hoping to loose a little- not much needed but the belly still seems to be keen to stay.

Having read a lot about menopause and the experience of other (slim) woman with belly fat I don't think it's unusual, just frustrating.

but otherwise I am very happy with the energy, sleep, lovely meals!

anyone here has any thoughts on menopause yet? ;)

Yep. I have the little belly too. I really can't complain about my weight (and shouldn't), but I did hope the muffin top would go away.

I'm really thinking a lot about how to go on after Whole 30. I feel good. My mood is incredible. I'm not typically a nasty person, but I've felt so good and I don't want that to stop. They issue for me will be to know when to stop the treats. It seems I have one and the next thing I know the I've reverted to my old way of eating.

I've been looking at the Health Bent website and recipes and--to me--they seem to have a good practical approach. I may buy their book and use that as my guideline. I also like the Zenbelly blog for the same reason. It's practical. It's something I can live with long-term.

Does anyone else struggle with exercise like I do? I don't know why!!!

Kelliem, the muffin top is not important. It is the fat over your bellybutton that should be gone :)

I'm having a tough week with lots of pain from a couple of discomforts. Still at work but keeping to myself in my little corner so I don't bite off any heads. The headless chicken department it would be called. And I'll end up in jail and eating paleo there might be a problem. So I eat my pills, keep MY head down and EAT WHOLE30 COMPLIANT. It is now EASY!! 

Example, my work place has had a 'marketing day'  for HR with croissants and chocolate and other yummy stuff in the reception area all day. The funny thing is, I don't even SMELL the baked good and the artificial paper wrap on the chocolate just ... nope!

And I made my first pesto yesterday. Too much garlic but I'm satisfied

Kelliem, the muffin top is not important. It is the fat over your bellybutton that should be gone :)

I'm having a tough week with lots of pain from a couple of discomforts. Still at work but keeping to myself in my little corner so I don't bite off any heads. The headless chicken department it would be called. And I'll end up in jail and eating paleo there might be a problem. So I eat my pills, keep MY head down and EAT WHOLE30 COMPLIANT. It is now EASY!! 

Example, my work place has had a 'marketing day'  for HR with croissants and chocolate and other yummy stuff in the reception area all day. The funny thing is, I don't even SMELL the baked good and the artificial paper wrap on the chocolate just ... nope!

And I made my first pesto yesterday. Too much garlic but I'm satisfied

Trine, I also find it easy to resist the food I see. A colleague regularly brings a rice crispy square for breakfast (!)--and then wonders why she's hungry 45 minutes later. The smell of it is so unappetizing.

After my first W30, when I tried food I hadn't eaten in weeks, some of it tasted awful. The processed stuff tasted of chemicals, and sweet stuff was unbearable.

I would be okay with the muffin top if it hadn't been there BEFORE my overly indulgent vacation--but it wasn't. It's fine, though. If it's part of my aging body, so be it.

I don't even know what day we're on anymore, but have a good one everybody! (Funny that I've stopped counting the days. Telling, I think)

I don't know what day we're on either!  I only know that I'm "pausing" this Whole30 on Friday September 13 (note that I say pause and not stop--kinda want to keep eating like this forever!).  My boyfriend and I are celebrating our 3 year anniversary and my new job on that day, so I plan on going out to a lovely dinner and having a little wine, not fretting about what oil my dinner is cooked with, but otherwise sticking to a paleo meal.  I'd like to see how the wine makes me feel the next day, so I don't want to throw too much else in the mix.  I'm extending my Whole30 a couple of days because I didn't stumble onto this site until day 2 of a different 30-day paleo challenge, so I was still having a little cream in my coffee. 

Then what to do on September 14th?  I feel so great now, and I don't want that to end, but this isn't really a sustainable 365 day a year plan, at least not the nit-picky parts (no seed oils ever, no sugar in your bacon (even if it's negligible), etc.).  It has been an amazing wake up call though, and I want to preserve this way of eating as much as possible.  I baked some cookie dough I had in the freezer for my boyfriend last night, and he was worried I was torturing myself by not being able to eat any.  But it wasn't torture!  Not a single fiber in my being wanted that cookie.  SO STRANGE.  (Though when this is over, I will be interested to see whether these cookies are worth it.  They are seriously the best cookies I have ever eatin in my life, or so I thought pre-Whole30: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html).  I WAS eyeing his bourbon on the rocks with envy, but even that wasn't a full-blown craving.  So interesting. 

@carrot_flowers: that is so interesting that you felt ok the next day after drinking some wine.  I think that's great--you know how it affects you, and in terms of derailing, that is really not bad, given your body's response.  Gives me hope that wine can have a healthy place in my life post-whole30!  It sounds like you're a little disappointed in yourself, but also like you're not being too hard on yourself, which is a really healthy response I think.  Yeah, you didn't do the whole thing, but you still have all kinds of data on how clean eating makes you feel, and there's no reason not to continue for as long as you want.  Looks like a bunch of us are!  I think I want to do another 10-14 days after my wine experiment on the 13th, and start reintroducing things slowly (which sounds like a long and slow process in and of itself). 

@kellie: I struggle with exercise too!  I can focus on exercise, or focus on diet, but I work so much that it has been really hard to focus on both at the same time AND still have some semblance of a social life/romantic relationship.  I am ashamed to say I have done no formal exercise since starting this Whole30.  I walk between 10,000 - 15,000 steps a day, just going about my business, and my bf and I take long walks and bike rides on the weekends, but have done no sweaty cardio and no strength training.  I'm going to start adding that in soon, though--hope I see some nice results!

Have a great day everyone!

Dude, where's my tiger blood?!  Why am I suddenly having cravings again?  Is this normal?  

I'm behind most of you, on Day 20.  Been feeling great, positive, still committed to continuing to the end of the month, but why is it suddenly so hard today?  Eek!

Dude, where's my tiger blood?!  Why am I suddenly having cravings again?  Is this normal?  

I'm behind most of you, on Day 20.  Been feeling great, positive, still committed to continuing to the end of the month, but why is it suddenly so hard today?  Eek!

Dear Lizzie

I'm craving too! But I don't know for what?! Frustrating but also understandable since I've removed every 'reward' from my body; physically and mentally. From someone who has been smoking on and off since 16 (started in Hawaii of all places!) It is like the body KNOWS it has been a week. It test u with the things it is doing without that u've taught it enjoy. Typical addiction behavior. It will test u hard. 

'They' say that it takes 3 minutes to get a bad habit and at least 3 MONTHS to kick it. 

Hang in there. Avert your eyes. Bring a fruit that smell good and sniff it.

To everyone a silly question;

they call it coffee beans. Does that mean it is a legume? Because if it is it would explain all the difficulties some of us have had with the bloating. (I only drink one coffee before lunch and no more and I've not had a bloating problem, as I've always been very respondent to the 'kick' in coffeen)

Found this: Coffee beans come from two species of a tropical tree, Coffea canephora and Coffea arabica. They are not legumes as they are not members of Fabaceae, the legume family. The beans are actually the seeds of the coffee berry, which is red and resembles a cherry when ripe.

Happy day 25! I actually had to get a calendar out and count the days.

I feel like hell! I'm in pain. The rash on my eyelid is splitting my skin and I'm tired and grumpy--not to mention some GI problems. Oh and I'm whiny, too,in case you hadn't gathered that. I'm definitely having a gluten reaction. This morning I noticed, on the bag of sunflower seeds that I eat everyday, that they may contain wheat and a whole lot of other crap. I'm so careful about this, but clearly didn't read the label on this bag. Here's hoping that's the culprit.

I find it ironic that when I start Whole 30, I'm inadvertently eating grains when I successfully avoid them at all other times.

Dude, where's my tiger blood?! Why am I suddenly having cravings again? Is this normal?

I'm behind most of you, on Day 20. Been feeling great, positive, still committed to continuing to the end of the month, but why is it suddenly so hard today? Eek!

Are you perhaps experiencing food boredom?

(It's common to get fed up or bored with the Whole30 meals around day 20, and if that is the case I'm sure it's easy for the mind to drift away to what it remembers as comforting or tasty (compared to the food you're now bored with).

Check the "Day 21 interlude" and see if it might be the case: http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

My advice: don't allow those thoughts to get a grip, prepare meals in advance and "just go on"...I'm sure it'll pass (and if not it's just 1/3 left to go anyway).

About the tiger blood...I'm not quite there either. I try not to spend too much time thinking about that though...I'm sure it'll come eventually, and we're all different.

Had a quite nice experience this morning though...I went training at work (my employer has an awesome wellness program where we get to train 1 hour per week during office hours, and they hire in professionals to lead the training so we get to try all kinds of stuff.)

Anyway, I was feeling really weak before going there today...and just a few minutes in it felt like lactic acid was already building up!

But then, all that suddenly went away and I had LOTS of power and energy to push hard throughout the session. Felt awesome!

(And so does the endorphin reward that still lingers a few hours later ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is...believe in your own knowledge and just keep going towards what you know is right, and the rewards WILL come (oh, and have fun while you're doing it!) :)

Experience the rewards and the results when they come, rather than hoping or wishing in advance and thereby risk dissapointment.

You're already rockin' it, so just keep rockin'! ;)

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.  I do recognize that this is part of the process of breaking old and bringing in new habits.  Sometimes I'm scared that I won't be able to hold out, but all my off plan eating is confined to my dreams so far!

I think the great feeling of doing something new is starting to wear off and now it's the routine.  And I probably haven't been creative enough in my meals.  I'm planning my first proper cook-up this weekend so that I can actually have less hassle around meals and maybe can experiment with some new flavors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Onward!

Have a great day, all,

Lizzie

I'm with you Lizzie!  Last night's dinner was totally uninspired and boring and I was so unsatisfied I ate a handful of macadamia nuts.  Make that two handfuls.  Urgh.  It was so exciting in the beginning when I remembered how yucky I felt before.  Now this is the new normal, routine as you say, which makes it harder to maintain.  I'm going to do a cook-up this weekend too and hope for the best.  

In other news, I stopped drinking coffee: today marks my second day without.  I have been drinking some black and green teas, so I'm not off caffeine, but the change has been PROFOUND.  I am shocked.  For the first 3 weeks of the Whole30 I was sleeping 7 hours a night, less than my usual 8, waking up early and unable to go back to sleep. The past two nights, I have slept a full 8 and could easily have slept more.  How is this possible?!  I was drinking 2-3 large cups of coffee a day, but never after 10 or so.  Who knew morning coffee could have such an impact on your sleep?  I've been reading up on it and it seems like this diet decreases inflammation generally, making your body more sensitive to what you put in it.  That would explain why I was unable to sleep as much for the first few weeks of this diet even though I didn't change my coffee consumption.

Not drinking coffee is incredibly difficult.  If I had tried to give it up at the beginning, not sure I would have made it!  I'm going to shoot for a 30 day caffeine holiday to see how I feel.  Is anyone else off caffeine entirely?

I'm with you Lizzie! Last night's dinner was totally uninspired and boring and I was so unsatisfied I ate a handful of macadamia nuts. Make that two handfuls. Urgh. It was so exciting in the beginning when I remembered how yucky I felt before. Now this is the new normal, routine as you say, which makes it harder to maintain. I'm going to do a cook-up this weekend too and hope for the best.

In other news, I stopped drinking coffee: today marks my second day without. I have been drinking some black and green teas, so I'm not off caffeine, but the change has been PROFOUND. I am shocked. For the first 3 weeks of the Whole30 I was sleeping 7 hours a night, less than my usual 8, waking up early and unable to go back to sleep. The past two nights, I have slept a full 8 and could easily have slept more. How is this possible?! I was drinking 2-3 large cups of coffee a day, but never after 10 or so. Who knew morning coffee could have such an impact on your sleep? I've been reading up on it and it seems like this diet decreases inflammation generally, making your body more sensitive to what you put in it. That would explain why I was unable to sleep as much for the first few weeks of this diet even though I didn't change my coffee consumption.

Not drinking coffee is incredibly difficult. If I had tried to give it up at the beginning, not sure I would have made it! I'm going to shoot for a 30 day caffeine holiday to see how I feel. Is anyone else off caffeine entirely?

I haven't had coffee in about 4-5 weeks I think? I stopped one day, and didn't have any withdrawals so kept going!

I never noticed coffee effecting me - I drank it because I like the taste, not because it would wake me up! I can't say I noticed a difference not having it, but its kind of a buzz to say I haven't had it :P

Oh man, I love coffee and have decided not to give it up -- there's only so much wholesomeness I can take  :lol:

The change I have made is that I am now having breakfast before I drink my coffee because I kept feeling not hungry.  And I drink 1/2 caff, never more than two cups, so I'm only getting one cup of caffeine a day.  I do allow myself to drink a cup of decaff in the afternoon but even that, after about 3 pm, can affect my sleep.

Made mayo for the first time! Woo-hoo!

Oh man, I love coffee and have decided not to give it up -- there's only so much wholesomeness I can take  :lol:

The change I have made is that I am now having breakfast before I drink my coffee because I kept feeling not hungry.  And I drink 1/2 caff, never more than two cups, so I'm only getting one cup of caffeine a day.  I do allow myself to drink a cup of decaff in the afternoon but even that, after about 3 pm, can affect my sleep.

Made mayo for the first time! Woo-hoo!

Coffee was one of those things while trying to figure out the whole celiac issue that I cut out off and on.  Never seemed to make much difference.  However, for the W30 challenge, to drink it black without cream, I have switched to (of all things! for a coffee snob) Starbucks single serve instant coffee packs that I put over ice, add cold water, shake and drink, 8 oz, after breakfast, but before 7 am.  I haven't noticed much difference with sleeping but with my daughter up and down sleep walking all night, I think that is causing more issues for my sleep than anything.  I could see though that with changing the gut lining and removing the inflammatory grains that the amounts of acids in coffee, some fruits, tomatoes, etc could have an impact on the gut lining.  Even Hartwigs say it is kinda crazy to expect anyone to go off of coffee, even they had to draw the line.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it turns cold and I prefer a hot cup of coffee.  I'm inclined to move to hot tea, strong, black, and give up the coffee until next summer again.  Just me.

Archived