starting August 12

EricaV

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am loving the Well Fed cookbook.  I did a big cook up this afternoon and am looking forward to trying some of the flavor combos she recommends.  I can't compare it to the Kindle version except that I really don't like cookbooks on Kindle in general.  Nice photos.  

I have cooked what seems like enough food for 3 people for 3 weeks! (But I'm sure I will eat it all up!)

I am coming up to the last few days of my first Whole30 and am really contemplating how to go on.

I feel good on this meal plan and I need to stay away from snacking for the long term, so may just stay as I am and add the occasional treat?

I think my weight is stable, while I was hoping to loose a little- not much needed but the belly still seems to be keen to stay.

Having read a lot about menopause and the experience of other (slim) woman with belly fat I don't think it's unusual, just frustrating.

but otherwise I am very happy with the energy, sleep, lovely meals!

anyone here has any thoughts on menopause yet? ;)

Erica, yes, I am reading the chapter in the Hartwig book about life after the W30.  I am in agreement with you about the meal plan, and really don't like the way that eating the grains and dairy make me feel.  In addition, I know I've lost weight, as the pair of pants I wore yesterday were so big (not so a month ago!) that I might not even be able to wear them again.  I would really like to get back to pre-pregnancy, pre-ugh-middle age (I'm nearly 50!) weight, and have quite a ways to go for that to happen.  Healthy is more important to me, but weight goes hand in hand with health too.  I wanted to reduce my blood sugar, cholesterol, etc from my last 6 month celiac check, and that appt is coming up in Oct, so definitely staying pretty W30 compliant until then.  If I see alot of good bloodwork changes with this new eating then I'm likely to have proof that I need to stay on it for health.  Menopause...not thinking of it, not aging gracefully, in that I'm just ignoring it.  Plus I feel 25 and I don't think I look the age of my peers, so maybe I'm behind the curve on this part of aging too.  I certainly have a whole side of family who live to be 100+.  Right now, I am trying to get my work life under control to get some me-time for exercise in.  That will round out the health, as I sleep pretty consistently and have found this W30 pretty easy.  But then, I've been GF for 5.5 years, and mostly soy-free too, as my daughter has a soy allergy.  I think being GF initially helps about 80% of the cravings.  I never have liked dairy except some cheeses.  For me, reading labels, having to find the sources to buy organic and preservative free food has been my time-consuming part of this, and the fact that I have rarely cooked in the last 30 years, as the other half is the chef of the household.  He is looking at this as an oddity in my life, but is getting accustomed to having the occasional meal prepped for him.  I find doing one thing at a time (food, exercise, shopping, cooking, etc), until that one thing is routine is helpful, and then add the next new thing in, rather than try to change every aspect of my life at once.  Hope these comments are hepful.  I would really like to keep this group on the forum for discussion of life post-W30, Amy

Hi again, everyone! This makes our fourth weekend already! Anyone else think its gone by kinda fast?

@Trine - Great job on resisting those work treats! I went to a store yesterday and had a physical reaction to the smell of cinnamon baking. I was able to put down the craving, but my belly protested! I'm impressed with your determination, with that AND not biting any heads off. ;) I really hope you feel better soon. I'm also curious, how is the book different from iPad version?

@carrot_flowers - What a way to learn! I'm glad you didn't have the hangover. You sound like you have a healthy attitude about restarting and you should do great!

@kellie - I exercised the first week and since then, I've been sleeping! So, I'm with you on the whole not feeling the exercise thing.

@CFDubbs - All of you guys who bake or cook something for someone and then don't even lick the spoon? You are amazing! I have to admit to being very strict because I'm afraid of falling off the wagon, so no baking for the kids (they started with us, but school kind of ruins it, so I'm definitely more lenient with them). And isn't it amazing about the coffee? I only switched to black coffee to avoid the caffeine withdrawal from stopping sodas. In week two I felt like I had a rock in my stomach after breakfast and figured out it was from the coffee.

I finally started my cycle and other than a headache, felt instantly better. No more crankies. I've got energy and am taking the kids to a park before a birthday party today. I will be ready to sit down this afternoon, but for now I feel good.

Andrea

well, tomorrow or is it today is DAY 30 for those of us who started on Aug 12!!

It's been great reading all your posts and sharing the experiences, and whether we have coffee or not ( I do , 2 a day, black - sometimes with coconut oil) and whether we slipped up or not, or discovered bits of gluten or sugar in some of our favourite foods (I did) I think we are amazing!!

This last week has been a good one for me- my exercise is going well, sleep and energy are generally good- I was a little bored with my breakfast last week but some reading in some of the awesome books I have gathered always gives inspiration.

I am reading Mark Sisson's book and I like how he makes the primal way a "way of life" ,not just about food. To me it all ties in together as well and the more I can listen to my body the better

I will get on the scales tomorrow and probably weigh the same before I started, which is 62.5 kg (? in pounds I don't know) and that is fine, cause I am sure I feel better and have lost a few inches in some places, be it not the belly, lol.

I want to keep going, not so much with a strict Whole30 but with this way of eating- I cannot imagine NOT doing this now!!

I still not sure about adding dairy back in, but may have some yoghurt to try, most definitely the odd bit of 85 % chocolate, and my free range bacon with a tiny bit of sugar until I find one without....other than that- I am really not bothered! I used to quite like a glass of wine but I don't like how it makes me feel these days (yeah for menopause) so won't bother with it.

My biggest personal challenge will be managing all the delicious treats I have come to know- you know the paleofied version of chocolate brownies etc....once I start it usually means a slippery slope for me....

I have done really well staying away from too many nuts and nutbutters, all those moreish things and want to keep that up without completely dismissing those foods as they are yummy

@Kelliem- I will have a look at those sites you mentioned, thanks ;)

So, thank you all for sharing and I will be on this forum for some time to come - I am sure- it really helps to hear everyone's stories and have the support and ideas.

Stick with it, we are worth it x

Good evening

Kindle vs paper book for Well Fed

I have the kindle app on my ipad.

The difference is that on the pad u have to turn the page more often. And it is more gumbersome to make and find and use the notes u make.

Also, in the book u actually get a notes section with every page!!

PS people are starting to come up to me asking how I´ve lost so much and still have a lot of energy and clear eyes. so I give them the link to a norwegian blogger who I´ve found to be very good

paleoliv.no

hugs and good luck to those that is done with the W30 and those that is still going strong. As I am :)

well, tomorrow or is it today is DAY 30 for those of us who started on Aug 12!!It's been great reading all your posts and sharing the experiences, and whether we have coffee or not ( I do , 2 a day, black - sometimes with coconut oil) and whether we slipped up or not, or discovered bits of gluten or sugar in some of our favourite foods (I did) I think we are amazing!!This last week has been a good one for me- my exercise is going well, sleep and energy are generally good- I was a little bored with my breakfast last week but some reading in some of the awesome books I have gathered always gives inspiration.I am reading Mark Sisson's book and I like how he makes the primal way a "way of life" ,not just about food. To me it all ties in together as well and the more I can listen to my body the betterI will get on the scales tomorrow and probably weigh the same before I started, which is 62.5 kg (? in pounds I don't know) and that is fine, cause I am sure I feel better and have lost a few inches in some places, be it not the belly, lol.I want to keep going, not so much with a strict Whole30 but with this way of eating- I cannot imagine NOT doing this now!!I still not sure about adding dairy back in, but may have some yoghurt to try, most definitely the odd bit of 85 % chocolate, and my free range bacon with a tiny bit of sugar until I find one without....other than that- I am really not bothered! I used to quite like a glass of wine but I don't like how it makes me feel these days (yeah for menopause) so won't bother with it.My biggest personal challenge will be managing all the delicious treats I have come to know- you know the paleofied version of chocolate brownies etc....once I start it usually means a slippery slope for me....I have done really well staying away from too many nuts and nutbutters, all those moreish things and want to keep that up without completely dismissing those foods as they are yummy@Kelliem- I will have a look at those sites you mentioned, thanks ;)So, thank you all for sharing and I will be on this forum for some time to come - I am sure- it really helps to hear everyone's stories and have the support and ideas.Stick with it, we are worth it x

If you started on August 12, your last day is Sept. 10, I think!

I think I'm going to have to keep going with Whole 30. I'm still hungry all the time and the sugar dragon is hard at my heels most days. My husband has done well. My energy is still really low and I can tell by the feel of my clothes that I haven't lost any weight. I think my vacation was so overly indulgent that 30 days isn't long enough. So, I'll be here with those of you sticking around!

I know I finish officially 30 days on Tues night? and Wed is day 31.  But who is counting??  No, really, I might see about a glass of wine to celebrate.  My plan like I said before is to stay this way as much as possible, until my next celiac bloodwork is done around mid-end of Oct.  I am very curious how the triglycerides are doing, cholesterol, etc.  I would hate to find out that the fats I am eating are wreaking havoc with those numbers.  Weight loss is also a huge ego boost and reason to keep going.  I haven't had a big issue with cravings, and as long as I eat enough, I'm ok with not being ravenously hungry either.  I guess I am worried though, that mentally, once I know the 30 days are over, will one thing lead to another and I'll be back on dairy/grains and all of the GF stuffs that are just filled with junk?  that is my concern and not what I want to be doing.  I'm more like Erica, starting to think about W30 of not only food, but life and sleep and doing the whole9 thing.  Starting to sound a bit earthy-crunchy, but who cares??

I think you are all doing fantastically, and yeah for us for when we are done!!

Stick around, we'll need support for those "must-have" paleo zucchini chocolate muffins and paleo brownies when the urges do arise.  I'd rather do that than a total slide backwards. 

I'm prepped for trying the slow cooker with stuffed peppers, using the "riced" cauliflower.  MMMMM.  Getting hungry tonight thinking of it.  Going to the bookstore tomorrow to see if I can find "well-fed".  I'll let you know if I find other good paleo cooking books. 

Amy

Hi everyone!

Awesome to see the discussions lately are more about good dishes, cookbooks and how to live life post Whole30 rather than cravings and hard times! :D

I'm really happy for you all, and think you're all great! :)

Just two(!) more days to go for the most of us, is it just me who have a bit of butterflies in my belly? :)

And to you who bravely restarted along the way...it'll be day 28 for you too before you know it!

Thanks Trine and Lizzie for the good luck wishes, right back at'cha! :)

Posted the week 4 summary on the blog today:

http://strictlypaleoish.com/2013/09/07/whole30-summary-week-4/

I really hope to see you all visit for recipe inspiration in the future! :)

Oh, and speaking of good Paleo cookbooks...I LOVE "Make It Paleo" by Bill Staley and Hayley Mason.

On my wish list is also their second book "Gather", and The Paleo Parents' "Beyond Bacon".

Hope you're all having a great day! :)

//Peter

isn't it funny that I lost count of the days, I really did! I weighed myself yesterday and had lost 1/2 kg, lol! but my jeans that used to be tight fit much better, I can feel the difference, so the scales are not everything. I have added some more weights work outs to my programme so I am telling myself that the limited weight loss is because I am gaining muscle!

I am quite sure now that I am basically going to keep going the way I have been this month- I am not ready to add dairy, not because I react badly to all of it but it just adds too much of the treat type foods to my diet that I don't need.

had a piece of 85 % chocolate today after dinner though, that was nice ;)

keep up the good work everyone!

Erica, congrats!! My jeans needs to shrink a bit now too :)

When it comes to dairy I will introduce kefir/buttermilk and butter as those are used in the canteen at work. 

The really funny thing is that I've saved a ball of chocolate fudge from Lindt as a treat when I'm done but now I don't feel like it any more! that sugary sweet taste is nauseating now   :wacko:

and that's good!! 

Yesterday I and an friend went for a 11km hike in the woods just north of Oslo. Our tails were wagging the entire trip.

Keep going and all the treats will loose their glamour and things like heated raspberries on  banana pancake will be heaven! 

Tiger blood! And my eyelids are clearing up! And the pain is subsiding. The sunflower seeds were most definitely holding me back from the benefits of Whole 30. Darn the cross contamination! Also my clothes started to feel better on me. Yay!

Day 29. I can hardly believe it. I have to say that the journey has been made easier with all of you. I'd really like to continue with you post-Whole 30. I had thought I would continue with it since I was feeling so rotten. What I am going to do is go back to my Paleo ways and start adding in some healthy movement. It appears that I can focus on Whole 30 only when I'm on it.

Have a fantastic day!

I just went back and re-read my goals, at the beginning of this thread. I'll have to reflect on how I did,but I think it's going to be a report of success!

That is great.

As this is my first W30 I've used the goal sheet to write down a lot of things. I'll rewrite it for my next one in December with more specific and reflective goals as I walked blind and alone into this one.

As u all know, I restarted because I smoked after 10 days. I will admit to smoking five cigarettes since then. I decided to continue with the W30 and not restart even though I smoked. The knowledge that I smoke a lot less and more easy to avoid situations that I do is a great stepping stone to quitting the social smoking. I even don't go to company parties. I feel like I miss out but then I've so much energy to spend with my family, friends and boyfriend!! I know they are happy for this.

I do miss someone close to me doing this with me. And I thank u all for doing this with me. I think of u often and always look forward to these posts.

Trina

I think it's just fantastic that many of you have made it to your 30, and even more fantastic that you are thinking of ways to continue with what you've learned and done for yourselves.  I also, selfishly, do hope that you stick around on this thread as you are all so helpful to me.  Today is Day 25 for me and I can't even think about what I will or won't do when I get to 30.  Well, that's not quite true -- I was planning to weigh myself and then go on for another 2 weeks at least.  I still have a lot of cleaning up of my habits to do and I don't really feel secure enough around sugar dragon issues! So.... I for sure will still be here.

Weekends are still tough for me.  The weather was gorgeous in NYC and everywhere I looked people were eating ice cream.  Terrible craving trigger for me.  So, like I said, still some work to do.  I probably ate more fruit and nuts than I should have as a result, I am being kind to myself that this is still a very different response.  But I woke up feeling fat.  Ugh.  Yeah, still a lot of work to do. 

Hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Lizzie

We're all very, very quiet on day 30.

It's day 30, if you started August 12.

Day 30.

Almost there.

We're almost done.

We're almost beginning.

Beginning the next phase of our lives.

Our next phase of awesome.

Let day 30 go out with reflection.

And the knowledge that you have done something really amazing.

hi- day 31 ;)

I am going to do another Whole 30 right now as I am not NOT ready to ease up - mostly due to being too tempted to snack still when the rules are relaxed, though I have made lots of improvements this month

stick with it girls!

For me this is day 26 but if I'm really honest with myself, not really. So I am starting again today for another, truer Whole 30. I have let myself be very sloppy on the fruit, the nuts, the after-dinner eating, etc in the last 10 days and I feel the difference. So I had to take a good, hard look at myself and see what was really happening. Don't get me wrong, I give myself a lot of credit for what I have done. It's a lot healthier and kinder-to-myself than I've been able to do in the past. But I do t feel as good as I believe I can.

Erica, Trine, I know you're both still going strong and I think some others here are too. I will do my best to support and laugh with you going forward, I hope you'll do the same with me.

To those who are moving forward or the re-introduction phase, good on 'ya!

Lizzie

It's day 30, and it's 10:25 PM here in Sweden.

Feels pretty damn awesome that I'm going straight to bed as soon as I have posted this, knowing that I made it! :D

(And I sure am having bacon for breakfast tomorrow!) ;)

I'll keep checking in here until we're all past the 30-mark :)

Cheers!

PS. Check out my Facebook page if you want to know what I had as my final Whole30 meal...

It was ridiculously yummy...perfectly cooked, and an awesome method to cook it!

I really recommend you all to give it at try (with the modifications I state in the post to make it compliant if you're still on the program) :)

https://www.facebook.com/paleo.se

You can't go wrong with it...I'm just bummed the recipe isn't mine, hahaha!

Go Team!

I can't believe it's day 30.  My plan is to have a glass of wine on Friday with dinner, then keep on keepin' on.  I want to continue with my no-coffee experiment and see if that helps my sleep and stress levels, and cut out nuts to see if that helps with weight loss.  Please everyone do stick around!  I have loved the support of this group.  It's inspiring to hear about everyone's successes as well as the hurdles and challenges.  Hurrah to everyone!  

It's delightful to hear about people experiencing body changes, looser clothes, dropped pounds, etc.  I hopped on the scale yesterday and am precisely the same weight I was at the beginning of this Whole30!  I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, but I have gained around 10 lbs in the past year and would very much like those to go away.  I guess I hadn't realized how much!  I admit it, I was disappointed initially, but I vented elsewhere on this forum and got some helpful feedback.  Everyone seems to have had success in this arena, but in case some of you are feeling discouraged or that you haven't gotten the results you've wanted, this might be a helpful thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13426-day-29-disappointed/.  I was especially intrigued to read this post on Everyday Paleo about a timeline/template for fat loss: http://everydaypaleo.com/fat-loss-template/.  I also know I need to ditch the scale.  This program has helped so much with that, though.  Before Whole30 I would have been miserable all day if the scale gave me bad news... Now, I think about all the other positive changes I've seen and have resolved to keep feeding my body good stuff.

So I'm going to keep going, but not fret if some canola oil passes my lips.  Mostly, I just feel really good on this diet.  I don't need to eat every 3 hours, I really enjoy my meals, and I have a ton of energy.  Why stop?!  There's nothing in particular I want to add back in right now, but I will be traveling in CA and Asia for the next month or so, and there is no way I'll be able to stick to the rigorous Whole30 template.  I think I'll try to make the best choices I can when I'm traveling, without missing out on new and exciting food experiences.  Whole30 will always be here for me when I get back!  

Kudos to everyone, day 30ers, day 20ers, and Whole30 4 Lifers alike.  Woo!

Lizzie, I am with you on this one.

I told myself I was finished with the Whole30 yesterday and in the evening had a snack (all good stuff but still, I didn't need it- nuts, dark chocolate)and I really felt it this morning.

so now I am renewing my commitment to another Whole30, as I just seem to need those rules right now

I too am pleased with my results so far and happy this morning to have made this decision to keep going.

It's quite easy to get sloppy and some of us just cannot afford that, it seems ;)

Here are my goals for this next Whole 30:

1) no distractions while eating - music, radio, podcasts OK but no TV or computer while eating (What have others experienced about reading while eating? I know I can get really lost in a book)

2) no more mindless eating at night or on weekend afternoons. Every bite needs to be intentional

3) exercise for at least 30 mins at least 3x a week.

These feel realistic, although they will certainly require effort and will test my commitment at times.

I am also deciding that, as I have a high school reunion at the end of the month, I will allow myself to go off road for that. Although it occurs to me it might be really interesting to see what it's like not to. Don't have to decide right now.

Woo-hoo, here we go!!

Lizzie

Hi all,

Been a busy week, but thought I'd sign in and let you know it is end of my day 30!  To celebrate, I purchased 3 new books that should arrive tomorrow.  Well Fed (thanks for all of the recommendations), Paleo Slow Cooking:  GF Recipes Made Easy, and one that will get put to use this weekend on my birthday:  Paleo Desserts! 

As I said in a previous post, I'm sticking with it, so I'll be right here with all of you regardless of what day or what part of the whole life/paleo we're doing.  I like this forum, I like you, I like that it keeps me accountable. 

Tomorrow I'll step on the scale.  I have no idea if or how much I've lost.  I did wear a pair of slacks and blouse today that I couldn't have gotten into 30 days ago, so regardless of that number looking back at me from the scale, I feel better and clothes fit better! 

On Friday evening though, I will have a glass of red wine, if not tomorrow.  I don't think I belong on the AA forum, but I really really like red wine. It is THE only thing I have missed since starting this adventure.

Congratulations to all who are though this, and no matter where you are in the eating adventures, I hope that you each find and realize your own goals and are happy with them.

Virtual cheers!

Amy

Archived