starting August 12

EricaV

Amy, Erica, Peter, Lizzie, CFDubbs, Andrea and kelliem (hope i didn't forget anyone...)

I'm officially on day 20 today. However, since I started on Aug 12 I did a sneak preview on my scale... And since Aug 5th I've lost 7 kg. My weight goal is another 5kg but the fact that my NEW jeans (bought in January 2013, not a big clothes shopper) is now something I can hardly wear make the actual weight no biggie. I have to dig into my parents' loft to find things from when I was 20 soon! That is one good thing.

My boyfriend is getting more conscious of how I eat and automatically use my coconut oil when he's making a stake for me and butter for himself.

A third thing is that I've started making pesto, pumpkin soup and other 'american' dishes that I've never tried before and it's FUN!

AND finally, big 4, I made a typical Norwegian dinner on Monday; Får-i-kål / lamb in cabbage. And no one commented on that there were no potatoes :) !!!

I'm looking at people around me with some envy these days as they can just pick up anything and put it in their mouth. But then I look down on my belt and smile. hehe

Also, read a great article yesterday on the difference in saying 'I can't have' something and 'I don't have' something (applies to both food and other aspects in life). http://paleodietlifestyle.com/fake-till-make/

Can't remember who mentioned it on this string forum but it was about snacks. Here are my thoughts on that:

At work I have a two o'clock snack (fruit is distributed). Either 1/2 avocado, a small handful of macadamia nuts, one apple etc.

I never eat after 7pm. Rooiboo tea is now my best friend and nettle tea (to rinse my kidneys)

To those of u still struggling with cravings and habits, try to limit your snack to before u go home for work. Snacking at home should off limits. My advise :)

Congrats to those that made it. Congrats to those that are still going strong. And congrats to those that are continuing to use this a learning process instead of a food process. Jippiii

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Team!

I can't believe it's day 30.  My plan is to have a glass of wine on Friday with dinner, then keep on keepin' on.  I want to continue with my no-coffee experiment and see if that helps my sleep and stress levels, and cut out nuts to see if that helps with weight loss.  Please everyone do stick around!  I have loved the support of this group.  It's inspiring to hear about everyone's successes as well as the hurdles and challenges.  Hurrah to everyone!  

It's delightful to hear about people experiencing body changes, looser clothes, dropped pounds, etc.  I hopped on the scale yesterday and am precisely the same weight I was at the beginning of this Whole30!  I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, but I have gained around 10 lbs in the past year and would very much like those to go away.  I guess I hadn't realized how much!  I admit it, I was disappointed initially, but I vented elsewhere on this forum and got some helpful feedback.  Everyone seems to have had success in this arena, but in case some of you are feeling discouraged or that you haven't gotten the results you've wanted, this might be a helpful thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13426-day-29-disappointed/.  I was especially intrigued to read this post on Everyday Paleo about a timeline/template for fat loss: http://everydaypaleo.com/fat-loss-template/.  I also know I need to ditch the scale.  This program has helped so much with that, though.  Before Whole30 I would have been miserable all day if the scale gave me bad news... Now, I think about all the other positive changes I've seen and have resolved to keep feeding my body good stuff.

So I'm going to keep going, but not fret if some canola oil passes my lips.  Mostly, I just feel really good on this diet.  I don't need to eat every 3 hours, I really enjoy my meals, and I have a ton of energy.  Why stop?!  There's nothing in particular I want to add back in right now, but I will be traveling in CA and Asia for the next month or so, and there is no way I'll be able to stick to the rigorous Whole30 template.  I think I'll try to make the best choices I can when I'm traveling, without missing out on new and exciting food experiences.  Whole30 will always be here for me when I get back!  

Kudos to everyone, day 30ers, day 20ers, and Whole30 4 Lifers alike.  Woo!

The Everday Paleo article is gold. Just what I need for the next phase. In about one month I am turning 47. I have made a commitment to myself that when I turn 50, I will be the best form of me. I'm talking physically, spiritually, emotionally--you get the picture. My parents were very unhealthy people and died young.. That will not be my story.

I'm here for the long haul. I'm not going to be doing strict Whole 30, but I don't plan to add much back in other than a glass of wine on. Friday, maybe. The other things I don't eat anymore--just like I don't eat gluten containing food.

The craving for alcohol on a stressful day is gone as is the need to load up on booze before a camping trip. In my original post I said I was looking for something to focus on other than food and I have revived my love of sewing and look forward to all the lovely clothes I will be able to make for the new me.

I'm so glad to have met all of you and I can't wait to see where we go now....

BTW, the scale says I lost 7 pounds. My husband has lost 23 and is at his lowest weight as an adult. His belly is gone! I don't know of a 48 year old man that looks better. Together we're working toward the Fabulous at 50 goal.

Enjoy your day!

I'm just printing out the Everyday Paleo article to read on my way to work.  Thanks to all for the other references which I will look at later.

Since I've decided this is a new start for me (I needed the strictness for now) I did step on the scale this morning and took new photos.  I've lost nearly 8 lbs and can definitely see a difference in my face and body.  That feels good. Well, I feel good!

Kellie, it's great that you and your husband have the goal of being able to live a long, strong, and healthy life.  Ultimately this is so much more important than the scale or even the clothes.

Trine, I love how we're learning that we can not miss the stuff we aren't having.  It's not deprivation, it's difference.

Great day everyone!

Anybody else having their glands acting up? I've had glandular fever twice in my life and it is one of the reasons my body is so poor. As I've had fever and glands acting up the entire W30 (been thinking it is part of the detox as my eczema is also 'swinging active') but still feeling great (read: a lot better than before) I haven't really paid attention to it.

Any thoughts?

Stepped on the scale this a.m. (day 31!) after morning breakfast and I am down 10 lbs from 30 days ago.  Yeah!  

Will do photos on the weekend, same clothes, same spot in the house.  Should be interesting to see if I can tell the difference visually.  

No change in my shopping or eating, or plans on eating today, so I'm onto the next W30!

A

It's pretty awesome that the sharp awareness and critical thinking when it comes to sourcing and preparing food you've developed during the Whole30 seems to now, post-program, come natural.

I mean, sure...I had bacon yesterday, but that was a very conscious choice...other than that nothing has been different even though I'm not actively thinking about maintaining compliance like I did during the whole30.

Now I'm just...living! :)

It's pretty awesome that the sharp awareness and critical thinking when it comes to sourcing and preparing food you've developed during the Whole30 seems to now, post-program, come natural.

I mean, sure...I had bacon yesterday, but that was a very conscious choice...other than that nothing has been different even though I'm not actively thinking about maintaining compliance like I did during the whole30.

Now I'm just...living! :)

Wow, that's what I'm hoping for this next 30. I have been spending way too much time focusing on what, when and how much to eat. It is still necessary for now, but I'm really aiming for a way of having a healthy life with food that simply comes naturally.

Yesterday was a bit tough for me, I kinda took a mental day off. I just wasn't caring. Stayed within the parameters of allowed foods but without any enthusiasm or conviction. Feeling Much Better today, though, able to make this a positive act, not one of pain LOL!

But jeez, is anyone else getting sick of so much washing up? I don't mind the cooking, it's all the pots and pans that kills me. I never realized how much I was snacking rather than preparing real meals before!

Hi all,

To make a few comments on previous posts: 

Pans and cleaning up: for the most part, I have two go-to pans that everything gets cooked in, a small non-stick pan for eggs and saute-ing veggies.  One larger nonstick pan with a good lid that also goes in the oven.  They are easy to clean and work for almost everything.  I've added the slow cooker that allows me to use the insert on the stove (also non-stick), and then directly into the slow cooker outer part.  Easy clean up.  Invested in some nice spatula's too for flippling, stirring and keeping the non-sticks scratch-free.  Sometimes I pull out the bigger pots or the cast-iron, but they get heavy.  I love my food processor too, and I use the dishwasher (but not for pots and pans).

Bacon:  My CSA has organic, no-preservative added, no sugar added, natural bacon.  It takes a little bit of getting used to, and it needs to be better cooked (crispier) than the sugar-laden type.  However, I love it, and never stopped eating bacon (I thought that bacon was ok if no added sugars, preserv's etc) during the W30. 

Chocolate:  my only non-W30 item since being done.  Last night (Wed), I came home from work at 9:15 and grabbed about 10 dark chocolate covered almonds.  I ate 2 or 3 and thought how odd they tasted.  I had my husband eat one to see if they were ok.  They are OK, they just don't taste very good to me.  I didn't eat anymore.  No ill effects this a.m. from the couple I ate, but taste buds definitely different.  I'd prefer a glass of wine anyway.  ;)

Yes, cooking takes time and I have to work it into my day(s).  Not always easy, but then once I have made something for a few days, I am really happy with it.  I am also trying to make extra for dinners and immediately put away the extra so no one else can eat it.  Makes for good and quick easy lunches to pack for work, or those crazy nights when I am not home until 9:15. Tonight's red curry salmon leftover went into the same container with the extra asparagus, and that will be my quick saute', add three eggs, and breakfast is done!  But then, I could eat eggs for every meal!

This weekend I'll start looking at some new recipes from the new cookbooks, find a few ways to use the slow cooker and good recipes.

I have alot of work to do this weekend and a couple of social events, so will be drinking some red wine!  Will let you all know how it goes.

Ciao for now.  A

This: now I'm just living. So true, Pete.

My big post-Whole 30 treat was commercial bacon (with a bit of sugar in it) at dinner last night. Know what? Meh. I like the breakfast sausage patties I've been making so much more. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I did have a bit of a sugar craving. Huh. I wonder if that wee bit of sugar caused it? My son, the fitness freak, just told me, yes.

We're heading out for a weekend camping trip and we're bringing A bottle of wine. I'm going to have a single glass tonight and maybe tomorrow night. I'm worried that too much will revive whatever was happening with me in the summer. I'm terrified, to be honest with you. On a lighter note, we're having fun planning our Paleo camping meals. It's going to be a beautiful Canadian Fall (we should seriously trademark that) weekend. Highs around 17-19, sunny and gorgeous.

@Lizzie, don't forget that this is life. It sounds like you had a wonderfully successful day. The hardest ones are when you're not feeling it. Those are the hardest days and you did really well. Pat yourself on the back.

Wherever you are, have a great weekend.

All is good today.  Just a little worried about not having time for a real lunch break.  I've got the meal packed, and if I can just pick at it between meetings, so be it. I know I won't be grabbing for the old ways and foods.  Yeah, Kellie, you're right.  This is life.  Intensely envious of your camping trip in beautiful Canada.  One of these days.... (actually my plan for next summer!)

Hope everyone is feeling good and strong and happy today.

Lizzie

Hi all,

Yes, woke up with energy and ticking things off of the work to do list, yeah!!  I love ending with Fridays having "stuff" in hand to show the fruits of my labor. I recommend timing it for everyone if possible.  Actually sipping on my first hot cup of tea since about May.  

Weather here finally broke, and the midwest is getting its fall weather!  We are so in tune with the exact seasonal changes it is sometimes freaky.  For the weekend (other than some work-oh well), will enjoy the weather, the sun, a glass or two of wine, and a focus on cooking!  

Have I mentioned that my house is totally under renovation?  Every day is an adventure to see what a wall removed or a window replaced is going to yield.  Makes for some interesting cleaning moments each evening.  But looking forward to the finished product!!  Shortly we'll be doing outdoor showers as the large master bath is about to be gutted.  I am hoping I have all of the W30 cooking under my belt before I lose the kitchen to know how to handle what and how to make, and not just slip into the take-outs.  Hopefully we'll only be without the sink area for dishes for only a few days.

For those of you about to finish the W30, how is it going??  Getting excited and nervous about coming up on the last day??  I'll be taking my photos tomorrow a.m. to compare to the before images.  

I'm thinking instead of W30, it is WholeLife.  I've been just too happy and contented to leave this eating.  For me, I think the structure of W30 and the limits on what I can eat is easier for eating out, and for deciding on what restaurant to eat at.  I am thinking to try a paleo restaurant just west of town this weekend.  Sounds interesting.  

Peter, I just joined your blog last night!  What a great group of photos and blog for this eating adventure.  Thanks so much for that.  My daughter was watching me scroll through the photos and she asked, "can we make that?" at nearly every single photo.  You should seriously write your recipes down...maybe the next new cook book?  "Cooking Paleo-ish"??  for those of you who haven't yet checked it out, you really should.  For me, one I've bookmarked.  

Happy weekend all, and share the recipes/adventures/camping details/fun stuff.

Amy

Thanks!  (I commented on the first or second week of the W30 blog you kept).

Amy

All,

A quick Sat p.m. update:  had a glass of lovely 2003 Elu last night....mmmm.  It must be good for me, it was sooo good.  I can leave just about everything else behind but that.  Cooking a balsamic eye of round roast in the slow cooker (smells lovely!), cooked my double batch of no-oat oatmeal and had it for lunch with strawberries, mmm.  Made some GF brownies (not paleo-but leftover from pre-W30) and cleaning out the cupboard to make room for new cooking items.  This will be my birthday dessert, so I'm not feeling deprived and I'm getting rid of things I won't normally ever eat again, nor need to buy.  Looking through the Paleo Desserts cookbook, I realize I don't have most of these needed ingredients.  This will take some finding and shopping, maybe online sources only.  Sooooo, good ideas, but need some time to implement.  Have a great outdoor fall weekend everyone, and happy cookup for those doing that too.  Will check back in on Monday for those finishing up on the W30 to see the results!  (I did do the post-photos and yes, pretty obvious for the mid-body and the neck/face).  Otherwise, keep on and we'll see how far I can go. 

A

Peter, I just joined your blog last night! What a great group of photos and blog for this eating adventure. Thanks so much for that. My daughter was watching me scroll through the photos and she asked, "can we make that?" at nearly every single photo. You should seriously write your recipes down...maybe the next new cook book? "Cooking Paleo-ish"?? for those of you who haven't yet checked it out, you really should. For me, one I've bookmarked.

Happy weekend all, and share the recipes/adventures/camping details/fun stuff.

Amy

Thanks! (I commented on the first or second week of the W30 blog you kept).

Amy

Thanks Amy! :D

It made me really happy to read your comment on the blog, and to hear your daughter too wanted to try some of the dishes out!

Just a note for the record though, the blog is not a blog about my Whole30 experience...however the latest 4 posts are.

The main content and purpose of the blog IS recipes, and I've been posting them for about a year and a half now. :)

(It started out as a Paleo/LCHF hybrid, so some of the oldest recipes use quite a lot of full fat dairy.

Anyway, the different categories under "Recipes" in the menu should make it easy to find inspiration for what you are looking for (there's even a Whole30 category under "by compliance").)

Also, if you enter your email address in the follow field on the site I'll send you an email each time I'm posting something new (so you don't have to remember to use your bookmark to go back and check for new stuff...)

Anyway, some of the recipes for what I had during my Whole30 will be posted, and the first one out is today :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

// Peter

Happy Sunday, everyone! It's a gorgeous day here in NYC and I've been out in the park walking, gone grocery shopping and now back home to do my cooking for the week.  Minor (or major) triumph -- I was starving by the time I finished all my exercise and chores and was standing in a very slow check-out line, right next to the sweets and chocolates.  I didn't even want them.  I wanted to get home and eat real food.  Hooray!!

I'm at a funny place, having decided to start over.  Yesterday would have been my Day 30, so today is sort of Day 31, though I'm mentally calling it Day 4.  I know I won't be going through the same changes as the first time through -- I already feel soooo much better and I think the above story really proves how far I've come.  But I am hoping or further improvements in how I feel.  (I did lose exactly 10 lbs in the 30 days.)  So, I'm sort of celebrating having eaten no off-limit foods, but still staying with the current game plan.  Feels great, I gotta say!

Our camping trip was glorious and very Paleo. Complete with a big hike around an island from the paleo era! We dined like kings and I'm proud to report that I kept the alcohol consumption totally under control. I had a cider each day and on Friday night I had a glass of wine. DH poured me a second and I didn't drink it. Ha!

We did come home, though, to find that the teen we left in charge of the dogs threw a party. My brother shut it down before anything bad happened, but one of the dogs is traumatized by something. He has licked the hair right off his legs so something happened that stressed him right out. Next time they are coming with us!

All, just checking in.  Had a big pig roast last night, and tonight a wine tasting party.  Kept it all under control.  Avoided all of the "bad" and went with the "good" and didn't get too wrapped up in what exactly everything was made with, as long as it was GF.  Had some amazing bourbon last night, just one glass, and then about a total of one glass of wine tonight at the tasting.  Most weeknights, I doubt I will drink, but the weekend socializing, wow, that must remain under control.  Supposed to go to the vineyard this coming weekend and harvest the first of the three varietals.  Will need to pack and bring much of my own food, if I end up going, but with the work and upcoming travel schedules, who knows.  Thought to leave the nearly 17 year old home alone, but reading your post Kellie, maybe not....  My basalmic eye of round, slow-cooked roast went over well for dinner tonight, yeah!  I have never been the one to cook so my kids are absolutely freaking out whether or not they should be trusting what I am feeding to them.  They have a gourmet chef for a dad, so I can't blame them.  On to a very busy week, hope everyone has successes.  If not, get up and get back on that track, don't let one little slipup derail the whole thing!  We are all so much further than pre-Aug 12th!  Amy

I'm suffering from a total eczema attach. Why? Because I went completely off-road this weekend (no grain though) Should I feel guilty? Strangely I do not. However, I did learn that paleo obviously is my life from now on. After having some cider friday, cheese doodles saturday and cake sunday (family weekend... and none of them know I'm on a diet)

My eyes are puffy, my body is bloated, headache and very tender all over. Not to mention slept REAL BAD. Big contrast. And huge lessons learned. Basically I took a dive and to all of you carefully going back to 'normal' living. Any headache or lethargic feelings and go straght back to W3o a few days. My feelings. I'm going back myself. Lost 10 kg in 6 weeks. 

Sorry you're feeling so poorly Trine.  But it sounds like you've got a really good attitude about it and will get back on track.  Yay for you!

Strangely tired this morning, maybe it's all the cooking I did yesterday! Tried the Cinnamon Beef Stew from Well Fed.  COuldn't find compliant beef broth so I just used water, and found I didn't have any sage in my spice cabinet, but it's pretty good anyway.  I'm sure will be even better if I follow the recipe for real!

Have a great day and a great week everyone.

Lizzie

Hi everyone

I'm officially off the W30 but have no craving for non-compliant food. My hubby got me a marzipan chocolate yesterday when we went to the movies. And I mindlessly ate it since if was in my hand. WAKEUPCALL!!!  It was nice but not that nice. My banana/egg pancakes with blueberries taste a lot better. Lesson learned:

Every  movement of food to your mouth should be mindful.

We are starting another W30 on November 30 if anyone cares to join in.

Trine, sometimes there is so much else going on in your life that W30 is almost impossible. I find when I'm doing it that it takes every bit of strength I have to keep going some days. You did great!

At this end, the only non-compliant thing I've had is a bit of wine (a glass) and a cider, or two, on the weekend. We've a wedding to attend this weekend and I'm pretty sure I can go alcohol free. Drinking the wine last weekend made my head ache and made me very sleepy. Not worth it. They've arranged for gluten free meals for us. Looks like prime rib & salad so I should be okay. I'll skip dessert and call it a success.

We are starting another W30 on November 30 if anyone cares to join in.

Trine, sometimes there is so much else going on in your life that W30 is almost impossible. I find when I'm doing it that it takes every bit of strength I have to keep going some days. You did great!

At this end, the only non-compliant thing I've had is a bit of wine (a glass) and a cider, or two, on the weekend. We've a wedding to attend this weekend and I'm pretty sure I can go alcohol free. Drinking the wine last weekend made my head ache and made me very sleepy. Not worth it. They've arranged for gluten free meals for us. Looks like prime rib & salad so I should be okay. I'll skip dessert and call it a success.

Yes, I was planning to do a second round in December. 

Kellie and Trine,

I was just thinking this morning that I'm gonna keep going to the end of this month, then take a some time off, and then start again.  So I'd be up for joining you on Nov. 30.  

I'm still doing OK, but as life gets busier it becomes more and more challenging to do the things I want to do:  sleep enough, exercise enough, prep my lunch every day.  I'm hanging in, though.  

I suggest we post here the challenges and victories we face regularly.

That way we're all going to have a stronger foundation to go through W30 in December (notice that we'll be finished just in time for the bubbles on NYE!!)

Ummmm. I don't know why I said November 30. I meant the monthe of November--to prep for Christmas. I don't think (though I may be wrong) that I could get through Christmas on Whole 30!!!!

Sounds like you guys are much stronger than I am!!!

Archived