starting August 12

EricaV

Am I still on the whole30 though?

I'm afraid it means that today is Day1 again if you intend to proceed (which I surely hope you do!)

I'll leave it up to the forum experts to give the definite answer though, but the guidelines are quite clear on that no form of tobacco/nicotine is allowed so I would be surprised if it does not.

Either way, you are active here and I can tell you really want to go through with the Whole30.

I also remember you saying you we're planning to make it a Whole49, so even if today is Day1 you'll have ticked off the Whole30 within that time. :)

(Plus...you don't loose all the previous 9 days gains, it's just the timer that resets, meaning you are well primed for success!)

I believe in you :)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something is seriously funky with the quote function, so I won't. This reply is to Trina.

Whole 30 and smoking are two gigantic challenges that I see as two separate things. I don't think Dallas and Melissa do. This is your Whole 30, though. In my opinion you can go along with your Whole 30 and today is Day 10, not 1. I know you want to quit smoking and you are doing great. There is no reason for you to feel that you've failed at Whole 30 and your desire to quit. The smoking thing is much more of a journey than Whole 30. Go easy on yourself, and try again today.

You're doing a great job.

I had an awful day at work yesterday. I had a meeting with a supplier that made me so angry that I was shaking when I walked out followed by another meeting where people's meeting etiquette left much to be desired. Outside of meetings the day was just so crazy busy.

Here is the interesting thing. I was not stressed out. I did get angry, but anyone would have at that particular meeting. Normally, I would have been a stressed out mess after work and I would have had a glass or 2 of wine to calm myself. I didn't need it though. I left work, thinking how glad I am that days like that are few, came home and made a delicious meal and continued on with my night.

This is a really big deal for me and I never thought it would be a part of my Whole 30.

Something is seriously funky with the quote function, so I won't. This reply is to Trina.

Whole 30 and smoking are two gigantic challenges that I see as two separate things. I don't think Dallas and Melissa do. This is your Whole 30, though. In my opinion you can go along with your Whole 30 and today is Day 10, not 1. I know you want to quit smoking and you are doing great. There is no reason for you to feel that you've failed at Whole 30 and your desire to quit. The smoking thing is much more of a journey than Whole 30. Go easy on yourself, and try again today.

You're doing a great job.

They sure are two separate challenges, but...you can quit smoking without doing a Whole30, but you can not do a Whole30 (the way it's intended) without quit smoking.

In ISWF Dallas and Melissa recommend to either quit smoking before taking on a whole30 (to prioritize correctly and to not make it too overwhelming by not doing all changes at the same time.) or to actually use the whole30 as a tool to quit.

I toatally agree there is no reason at all to feel there has been any failures, simply because there hasn't.

To quote the book further...it was a decision with a consequence, nothing else.

(I would actually consider counting today as Day1 a success rather than the opposite!

It would mean that a decision to stay on the Whole30 regardless has been made, and that the belief in oneself is kept, and that one does not let the past 9 days gains in health go to waste.

...while moving on pretending it didn't happen is just sweeping it under the rug, which will just make it a lot more likely to happen again imo (because if so there was no consequence to the decision to bend (break) the rules).

I had an awful day at work yesterday. I had a meeting with a supplier that made me so angry that I was shaking when I walked out followed by another meeting where people's meeting etiquette left much to be desired. Outside of meetings the day was just so crazy busy.

Here is the interesting thing. I was not stressed out. I did get angry, but anyone would have at that particular meeting. Normally, I would have been a stressed out mess after work and I would have had a glass or 2 of wine to calm myself. I didn't need it though. I left work, thinking how glad I am that days like that are few, came home and made a delicious meal and continued on with my night.

This is a really big deal for me and I never thought it would be a part of my Whole 30.

That is totally awesome! :)

Trina -

Whether you count today as Day 1 is up to you and to the advice of people who are more expert than I am.  But the important thing is that you are working hard on conquering these habits and on changing yourself for the better.  I quite smoking many years ago and it was one of the hardest yet best things I've ever done.  You can do it to -- don't get too down on yourself and definitely don't give up! Take a deep breath, say "well that wasn't too good," and go on.

We're rooting for you on both giving up cigarettes and on your Whole30 (or 49, or 60, or 160 -- whatever it takes!!)

Lizzie

Trina -

Whether you count today as Day 1 is up to you and to the advice of people who are more expert than I am.  But the important thing is that you are working hard on conquering these habits and on changing yourself for the better.  I quite smoking many years ago and it was one of the hardest yet best things I've ever done.  You can do it to -- don't get too down on yourself and definitely don't give up! Take a deep breath, say "well that wasn't too good," and go on.

We're rooting for you on both giving up cigarettes and on your Whole30 (or 49, or 60, or 160 -- whatever it takes!!)

Lizzie

Thank u Lizzie. I've decided to continue with the morning emails and not start on day 1 as I AM doing a 49er... :)

I've realized that my comfort smoking (smoke about 10 a week) is just that, emotional gratification. I decided too (once I read about the autoimmune Whole30) that I would do that in December 2013. 

Making myself AWARE of WHY is part of the whole30 process and so that is what I'm going to view this incident as. Thank you for all your comments. They're all very helpful. Since I feel a lot like kelliem when it comes to coping situations that usually would be stressful, this has now turned into a truthful self-view instead of a full blown feeling of failure.

Trine

Am I still on the whole30 though?

Trina, I am not one to comment about what one cigarette means for the W30. However, if you think about 10 days ago and how you feel differently now compared to then, even if you are back to day 1, you are really way ahead on so much. Maybe even more than 10 days. New resolve, know how to do the program, etc and think about what caused you to have a cig and learn the trigger to avoid. You have a much bigger and harder obstacle to overcome than those who don't smoke, but you can do it!! You did it for 10 days!!! That is huge. Regardless of what day we are each calling today, stick to it, keep on!

Oh boy. Just finished my first really hard work out in 3 weeks (vacation and then starting W30). Didn't think I was gonna make it. I have a Pilates instructor who really kicks my you-know-what. But I DID make it through and he said I seem stronger in spite of the time off. Also, my balance is better. Go figure! And I think the waist of these trousers is a little looser!

Have a great day everyone!

The one thing i´ve noticed is that, lizzie, is that the ´bulk´ under my bra is no longer there. U go, girl! I´m off to bed now.

One thing, I´m staing on this thread forum even though I´ve trailed a little off because of my smoking, because I feel I´ve got to know u guys. I´m starting over but since I feel I´ve gotten to know u I´d still like to follow this thread. Hope u understand :-)

The one thing i´ve noticed is that, lizzie, is that the ´bulk´ under my bra is no longer there. U go, girl! I´m off to bed now.

One thing, I´m staing on this thread forum even though I´ve trailed a little off because of my smoking, because I feel I´ve got to know u guys. I´m starting over but since I feel I´ve gotten to know u I´d still like to follow this thread. Hope u understand :-)

Wouldn't want to see you in any other thread than right here Trina!

Your honesty is truly inspiring, and no matter if you reset the counter or not, we all started the same day and we are your Whole30 family.

If I reach my 30 days without having to restart, I promise you I'll stay here to cheer you on and be there with you when you reach Day30 (and I'm sure I'm not the only one)! :)

(If I don't I hope you'll be there to cheer me on?) ;)

For what it's worth, I think you've made the right decision and I hope you really do feel the same?

In my eyes you are a brave and honest girl, who is strong enough to not let a set-back stop you achieving your goals or bring you down for long!

I tip my hat

/Peter

Well, here's something interesting. I decided that I should try to eliminate fruit today. I haven't been eating a lot, I just wondered how it was affecting my hunger. Knowing how sugar and insulin work in our bodies it makes sense that when I didn't have my regular apple at lunch, I'm still not hungry. I'll see if the same holds true with my dinner peach.

Also, kudos to Trina. You're a stronger woman than I. I'm a big softie, though. My son struggles with mental health issues and he often perceives failure when none exists. I guess I'm overly sensitive to it.

hey Trina, good for you for being so honest!

I think you are taking on some very big challenges and giving up smoking is huge - I remember....

I provide stop smoking support in my work place and know how hard it is- are you getting support for this?

changing habits is an enormously hard undertaking and there are some people who say that our "willpower" only can only cope with one change at a time so give yourself some credit and stick with it.

re smoking- having one does not mean you have stopped quitting, you are still quitting, it takes time.

good luck to you!

I stopped and restarted the Whole30 many times in the month or two before this attempt, and I gotta say that all the pre-attempts were super helpful for my current ten day success. Trina, you'll just have great practice before your big start day :-) stick with us though, because I'd love to see the next 20 days of success...and more! Oh and I did restart my emails each time as I learned something new each time I re-read them!

Well, here's something interesting. I decided that I should try to eliminate fruit today. I haven't been eating a lot, I just wondered how it was affecting my hunger. Knowing how sugar and insulin work in our bodies it makes sense that when I didn't have my regular apple at lunch, I'm still not hungry. I'll see if the same holds true with my dinner peach.

Hmm.  I'm scared to try to give up fruit as I fear that will make me feel too deprived.  However, a friend came for dinner tonight (she's Paleo, so it was easy) and I'd made a tropical fruit salad for dessert with toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.  We were so busy talking we never ate it.  After she left I decided to have some -- more from habit than anything -- and now I feel over-stuffed instead of the pleasant satisfaction I felt after finishing my main course.  Lesson learned.  I know it's best to stop eating a few hours before bed.  Now I have the experience for myself. I just hope the sugar doesn't disrupt my sleep.

Good night all!

hey Trina, good for you for being so honest!

I think you are taking on some very big challenges and giving up smoking is huge - I remember....

I provide stop smoking support in my work place and know how hard it is- are you getting support for this?

changing habits is an enormously hard undertaking and there are some people who say that our "willpower" only can only cope with one change at a time so give yourself some credit and stick with it.

re smoking- having one does not mean you have stopped quitting, you are still quitting, it takes time.

good luck to you!

It is quite the opposite. At work everyone smokes in my department. And that is where/when all the information is discussed too. So I feel I have to participate in the smoke breaks even though I'm not smoking. 

Thank u everyone. I've restarted the emails but staying here in this group :) 

Happylilgirl, I too learned a lot by acknowledging that I had to start over.

Lizzie and kelliem, I've finally started to be able to eat fruit after being allergic since birth. But only once every few days. Enjoy it when u can :)

And Peter, thanks, I'll back u up too :) 

Wouldn't want to see you in any other thread than right here Trina!

Your honesty is truly inspiring, and no matter if you reset the counter or not, we all started the same day and we are your Whole30 family.

If I reach my 30 days without having to restart, I promise you I'll stay here to cheer you on and be there with you when you reach Day30 (and I'm sure I'm not the only one)! :)

(If I don't I hope you'll be there to cheer me on?) ;)

For what it's worth, I think you've made the right decision and I hope you really do feel the same?

In my eyes you are a brave and honest girl, who is strong enough to not let a set-back stop you achieving your goals or bring you down for long!

I tip my hat

/Peter

Agreed!  I start my day with this blog and it really helps to think about a meal plan, and staying on target, etc.  You all give me inspiration and without my family doing this, it is the support group needed.

Hmm.  I'm scared to try to give up fruit as I fear that will make me feel too deprived.  However, a friend came for dinner tonight (she's Paleo, so it was easy) and I'd made a tropical fruit salad for dessert with toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.  We were so busy talking we never ate it.  After she left I decided to have some -- more from habit than anything -- and now I feel over-stuffed instead of the pleasant satisfaction I felt after finishing my main course.  Lesson learned.  I know it's best to stop eating a few hours before bed.  Now I have the experience for myself. I just hope the sugar doesn't disrupt my sleep.

Good night all!

I ate fruit during my first Whole 30 and had started to this time around too. For this Whole 30, I'm trying to test my edges and use it as a very personal learning experience--so no more fruit for me. I'm also trying to expand the veggie repetoire. I like vegetables a lot, but this time I'm trying the more challenging side of the vegetable world. And this morning I ate chili with beef and roasted vegetables  for breakfast with an egg and some sweet potato hash. If you'd asked me 3 months ago, I would have said that it's okay to eat breakfast for dinner but it is seriously not okay to have dinner for breakfast. Turns out I was wrong. It was delicious.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be all wacky and eat a left over chicken breast and broccoli for breakfast.

Just for the record, today is day 11. If we make it through today we're doing really well. According to the timeline on the Whole9 blog days 10 & 11 are most challenging and if you're going to quit it will be then. We rock. Just sayin'.

Hi all! It looks like you're all still doing so well!

We've had a crazy busy week (it's Thursday already?!). We've eaten well, but are still not getting enough sleep. We must be seriously thick headed to not have the lights out by 11P! We went back to bed yesterday after the kids were off to school (Adam works from home) and slept another 3 hours SOLID. It was hands down the best sleep I've had in years!

Realized earlier this week that we have a Girl Scout camping trip this Saturday. I craved a fountain Coke so badly I could cry. When I stopped to really think about that, it was a self-sabotage measure - no way will they have any food that's compliant, so I might as well fail now and put myself out of this Whole30 "misery." Plus, I'm failing as a parent because I won't make our daughter's food choices for her outside our home, and she will choose to eat the unhealthy stuff. Whoa. I have always known I have a fear of failure, but I didn't realize how far it extended. Once I calmed down, I realized I could take my own cooler on the campout. LOL Also, that Sophia will have gone 12 full days without ANY unnatural sugar (and only a bit of that!), probably the longest she has gone since she was 4.

I starting feeling all bloaty three days ago and this morning it's the worst it has been. I think my Coke replacements (sparkling water with the juice of half a lemon) has been causing it, so I'll cut back on that. If not, maybe all of the veggies? We've been doing well on 2 cups at each meal.

Yesterday we ate:

Breakfast: three-egg omlettes with spinach, onion, tomato, and black olives

Lunch: salad with Mexican spiced meat on top. Black olives for fat

Dinner: Melissa Joulwan's Best Chicken Ever, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and the dipping sauce for the chicken as our fat.

Lots of tomatoes coming out of the garden :)

Good luck today everyone! Rock your day 11!

Day 11!!  I can't believe it.

It's so inspiring to hear how well everyone is doing.  

Trina, I think you're rocking it, and I agree with everyone that no matter what "day" you call this, you still have made tremendous progress.  I did paleo-ish for a week or so before starting the Whole30, and it made the transition a lot easier.  Also, go you for being strict with yourself and starting over!  I think by doing that you're showing how much you value yourself--kind of like how you don't let your kids get away with stuff because you love them and they are important to you.

kelliem, I've been doing the same sort of thing, not eating much fruit and eating "dinner" for "breakfast."  Well Fed has been such an inspiration on that front--I love the way she thinks about food and eating.  Also LOVE that mayo.  Yum.  Have you noticed that your palate has become infinitely more sensitive to sweets?  I ate an orange bell pepper this am with my eggs and it tasted like candy.

Adamhayes (pretty sure you're Adam's better half, but I forget your name!): WOW.  I'm so impressed you were able to recognize your craving and trace it to its source, rather than cave.  That is baller.  You are so right, of course: staying compliant this weekend will require a little more planning than usual, but you can TOTALLY do it!  Also, I had the same experience after drinking a bunch of sparkling water last weekend at a party.  I had the WORST bloat after--it was painful!  I cut that out and I've been fine since.  

I'm a little worried about the coming days/weeks.  I am in the process of moving cities--movers come August 30th, and all my stuff goes into storage.  I'll be living with my boyfriend for the final 2 weeks of my Whole30, and just hope I can keep his fridge and pantry as well-stocked as I've been keeping my own.  Then I'll be traveling in CA and Asia before moving to NYC, and while my Whole30 will be over, I don't want to regress back to my old ways.  I know this is far in the future and it's silly to worry about it now, but this is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night!  I'll be asking you guys for advice.

Final thought: thank god coffee is Whole30.  That's all.

Here's my own personal verdicton fruit late at night: Bad Idea! Had trouble falling asleep though exhausted, woke up cranky and with a headache and nausea. I assume that's from days regulated blood sugar. T make things worse, I overslept, didn't have time to cook breakfast, tried to make a smoothie, my blender exploded and I raced out of the house feeling exhausted, angry and sick. When I got to work I ate the roast beef salad I'd managed to grab and now I feel Much Better!!! Once again I say Duh! But sometimes I'm so stubborn I have to figure things out myself, not just be told. Isn't it interesting that many of us have so many ways to be our own worst enemies?

In conclusion, Hooray for Dinner for Breakfast! And watch that fruit. The carrots in my salad were sweet enough to be candy!

CFDubbs: moving is incredibly stressful but look what you've accomplished and incorporated into your life already. One day at a time, girl! And NYC is a pretty good place to eat the way you want to!

Happy day everyone!

It's been great to read through everyone's struggles and successes! Days 7 and 8 were just godawful for me, but the past couple have been amazing - great energy, clear head, no cravings. Well, almost no cravings - the only thing I've "missed" is wine - and it's the only food/drink item I know I'll have some of at the end of the 30.

The only other obstacle I see coming up is a weekend yoga retreat next week, their food is heavily vegetarian/vegan, so I definitely have to do some preparation in advance of that.

Have started incorporating exercise in - curious as to what other folks are doing for workouts/exercise?

It's been great to read through everyone's struggles and successes! Days 7 and 8 were just godawful for me, but the past couple have been amazing - great energy, clear head, no cravings. Well, almost no cravings - the only thing I've "missed" is wine - and it's the only food/drink item I know I'll have some of at the end of the 30.

The only other obstacle I see coming up is a weekend yoga retreat next week, their food is heavily vegetarian/vegan, so I definitely have to do some preparation in advance of that.

Have started incorporating exercise in - curious as to what other folks are doing for workouts/exercise?

I jog/run 1km each day and end with four crossfit exercises.

CFDubbs: That's a lot to be taking on, but you can do it! You've stuck with it so far! Could you make up a bunch of stuff ahead to store in his fridge before you get to a grocery? I'm with you on the coffee. And my name is Andrea. I always forget to sign it. :)

Trina, way to go on the workouts! I've fallen completely off the wagon with them but want to start. Soon!

Lizzie, great job on recognizing the source of your issue! I've never been much of a fruit person, but I have noticed things I've never noticed before being sweet like carrots and tomatoes.

My latest discovery is I just put my jeans on, straight from the dryer, and they're a bit loose now. Woot!

Archived