starting August 12

EricaV

I feel amazing and I know I'll be eating this way for awhile. I need to do a temporary pause though. I leave for vacation tomorrow, and to make things complicated I have Celiac disease so I'm always cautious about gluten contamination. I've been very anxious about how to stay whole30 compliant and gluten safe when I can't make all of my meals. On this trip I have limited say where we eat as we're in a group and visiting family owned restaurants (all Asian). Finally I decided that I will relax and go nutritional off roading if I'm in need of finding safe gluten free food, essentially this means rice as it is often the only gluten free find at some places! That being said, I'm back home and officially Whole30 for the month of September! Hopefully I'll find some whole30 compliant foods so there will be minimal interruptions,as I like where my body is heading!

I'm sticking with this forum though, as you all rock!

Sounds like a well thought through and wise decision! Also good that you're not misusing the decision to go completely bananas...eating the way you described will still keep you well primed for a smooth re-start in September, plus stressing during a vacation is kind of counter productive ;)

Hope you'll have an awesome time!! :)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey friends!

Just wanted to let you know I've posted the week 2 summary on the blog now.

Just like last week there's an intro about how the week has been, followed by a few sample pics of the food I've eaten...maybe some of them could serve as inspiration also for this group :)

http://strictlypaleoish.com/2013/08/24/whole30-summary-week-2/

Oh, and just so you know if you haven't checked it out yet...there's plenty of paleo and primal friendly recipes on there (both Whole30 compliant, those that easily can be modified into compliance, and those that are best left until afterwards).

Just saying if you're hunting for new recipes... :)

Have a great Sunday!

Hey friends!

Just wanted to let you know I've posted the week 2 summary on the blog now.

Just like last week there's an intro about how the week has been, followed by a few sample pics of the food I've eaten...maybe some of them could serve as inspiration also for this group :)

http://strictlypaleoish.com/2013/08/24/whole30-summary-week-2/

Oh, and just so you know if you haven't checked it out yet...there's plenty of paleo and primal friendly recipes on there (both Whole30 compliant, those that easily can be modified into compliance, and those that are best left until afterwards).

Just saying if you're hunting for new recipes... :)

Have a great Sunday!

I really like your blog and the food looks great. I love Whole 30 for that. The food looks and tastes so good. Also, I find that meal prep is much simpler. Not sure why that is, but I'll go with it.

Off to finish up the rest of the cook up. Just need to make some mayo and some meatballs and we're good for the week. I've cut up a bunch of veggies for salads, boiled some eggs, made a frittata for my husband's breakfast and some sweet potato hash. It's been a full morning and it's not 9 yet!

Enjoy a restful Sunday everyone!

I feel amazing and I know I'll be eating this way for awhile. I need to do a temporary pause though. I leave for vacation tomorrow, and to make things complicated I have Celiac disease so I'm always cautious about gluten contamination. I've been very anxious about how to stay whole30 compliant and gluten safe when I can't make all of my meals. On this trip I have limited say where we eat as we're in a group and visiting family owned restaurants (all Asian). Finally I decided that I will relax and go nutritional off roading if I'm in need of finding safe gluten free food, essentially this means rice as it is often the only gluten free find at some places! That being said, I'm back home and officially Whole30 for the month of September! Hopefully I'll find some whole30 compliant foods so there will be minimal interruptions,as I like where my body is heading!

Being celiac as well, I totally agree.  First priority is not being ill, or causing the long-term issues with eating "hidden" gluten.  My only caution is not to use it as the "excuse" to then eat all other GF grains.  I have found that restaurants are pretty happy about substituting the rice or potato side for a small house salad, and to keep those grilled or sauteed veggies.  For quick snacks, fruit is super easy to carry, and so are nuts and olives.  My friends who aren't doing whole30 stil provide some easy crudites (cucumbers, carrots and baby roasted beets) for munchies at parties instead of me relying on cheese/crackers, etc.  A bowl of olives are great too.  I have always traveled with my own food for work/holiday travel, just in case.  Have fun though too, and don't deprive yourself of the 'fun' stuff if that is what is making the vacation, as then you're likely to emotionally eat later and feel terrible about it all.  A small amount of something to feel part of the group (GF of course) is better than emotional over-eating things you wouldn't normally even think about.  Good luck and keep us all 'posted'. 

Amy

I really like your blog and the food looks great. I love Whole 30 for that. The food looks and tastes so good. Also, I find that meal prep is much simpler. Not sure why that is, but I'll go with it.

Off to finish up the rest of the cook up. Just need to make some mayo and some meatballs and we're good for the week. I've cut up a bunch of veggies for salads, boiled some eggs, made a frittata for my husband's breakfast and some sweet potato hash. It's been a full morning and it's not 9 yet!

Enjoy a restful Sunday everyone!

Thank you! :D

Sometimes I wish I could meal plan like that too. I don't really have a problem knowing in advance what I'm going to eat, and it sure would be convenient to be all set for the coming week already now...but I just can't decide now on what I want to eat in a few days (I have a vague idea what I'll eat tomorrow, but further than...that's just impossible)! :)

Oh, and I'm impressed by your efficiency!

That's a lot to tick off the list before 9am! :)

Thank you! :D

Sometimes I wish I could meal plan like that too. I don't really have a problem knowing in advance what I'm going to eat, and it sure would be convenient to be all set for the coming week already now...but I just can't decide now on what I want to eat in a few days (I have a vague idea what I'll eat tomorrow, but further than...that's just impossible)! :)

Oh, and I'm impressed by your efficiency!

That's a lot to tick off the list before 9am! :)

Wow, I thought I was doing pretty well being done with food prep by 9 pm.  I did up morning mix with fruits and pumpkin seeds, bison meatballs in tomato sauce that is spicey (!!), cut up veggies for salads, and boiled those eggs.  At least this week won't feel like I'm running to catch up.  I agree with whoever said that cooking seems easier, maybe we are eating more purely. 

Have a great week!! 

Amy

It sounds like you're making a healthy decision.  Relax and enjoy your vacation!

I made it through the Girl Scout campout!  I even helped the girls make their smores and was conscious not to lick my fingers when they were done.  I took HB eggsand a salad for lunch, HB eggs with olives for breakfast, and carnitas with baby squash and green beans from the garden for dinner.  Yum!  I did not feel deprived except for another mom swigging Coke from a bottle (and I don't especially like that, only fountain ones).  We had so much going on that the craving didn't last long, though.

I made Chocolate Chili for dinner tonight over cauliflower rice and 3 of 4 of us loved it!  Plenty left for lunch tomorrow.  Busy day as I am canning tomatoes and freezing more green beans from the garden.

Good luck, everyone!  Onto week 3!

Andrea 

Hi everyone

I've followed your comments all weekend. It has helped tremendously even though I've not posted anything my self. Been away this weekend with my family. I prefer writing on a computer instead of on the phone :-) So, everyone has been real busy! Cooking and preparing and experiencing challenges.

I had one big challenge yesterday. I've been staying with my parents this weekend and if I cook they eat. No problem ;-) However, yesterday my mum was making a cake for my brothers birthday and it smelled heavenly!! The nutty bottom, the yellow butter cream and whipped cream cover... So when we got to the party that I'd really looked forward too, I grabbed an apple had a cup of coffee and said goodbye. Fast in fast out.

I'm on day 4 of my restarted Whole30. Fun to watch/hear of your progress and experiences.

PS my hubby is wondering if he might not start eating as I do because he can now see big changes... hehehe

Trina

a hard day at our house with both my young people going through some hard experiences- a beloved teacher died unexpectedly today, a young woman trying to come to terms with being single....as a mother you sometimes cannot do anything but hold them and let them cry and then not comfort them with sweet foods....

we still had a lovely healthy meal together and the evening is calm......

Erica,

Being close to those u love when loosing someone is ALL there is. Eating, in my family anyhow, was never the answer. Tea though is soothing.

My heart goes out to your young ones and the other kids at the school.

Hugs

I craved everything yesterday. A friend asked me to make gluten free date squares for her sister. Date squares are one of my favourite things in the world. So, I pulled out my mum's recipe and started to bake. The familiar smells made me miss her like mad (she passed in 2005). And that made me sad and then I wanted a date square and then I wanted wine. Bad day. I didn't cave. I took my knitting and a cup of tea to the back yard and exorcised the demons that way.

While in the back yard I realized the bugs were notably absent. Probably my breath keeping them at bay. Lovely.

Erica, I'm so sorry for your kids. It's tough. No matter what age they are, you never want to see them hurting. Sending them a hug from the Great White North.

It's Monday and I can hardly believe we are onto week 3. I have to say this has been so much easier with you guys!

Erica, I'm so sorry for your young ones. Both things are so, so hard. Sending lots of healing thoughts to them both.

Trina and Kellie, way to go on getting past the cravings! That's huge! And so cool, Trina, tht your husband sees the changes and wants to try it, too. :)

Erica, I'm so sorry for your young ones. Both things are so, so hard. Sending lots of healing thoughts to them both.

Trina and Kellie, way to go on getting past the cravings! That's huge! And so cool, Trina, tht your husband sees the changes and wants to try it, too. :)

Not my husband but thanks :) hehe 

I'm off to buy some black coffee (been loving the Americano for years now.. ) In doing that I've to go into an organic coffeeshop with loads of olive breads, foccachias, danish etc... Wish me luck!

Good morning  everyone.  So much to respond to here -- sadness, difficulties, triumphs.  My heart goes out to those of you dealing with loss.  It is so inspiring to hear how people are dealing with the challenges they face -- everyone's might be a little different, but we can all learn from each other.

On another note, I am now feeling like a total underachiever! I only cooked a chicken and vegetable soup for pre or post workout snacking (I guess I'll combine with some nuts or avocado to get the fat in) and also a big meat sauce to go over veggies.  (Found the green peppers I intended to add in the fridge this morning.  Oops.) I took a 2 hr walk yesterday -- probably 4-5 miles -- and am actually looking forward to working out this afternoon.  Still struggling with fatigue, although I do believe my body is recovering faster.  I have 2 lunches and a dinner in restaurants this week so I'm trying to figure out the best places to go.  And then away for the weekend where I am a bit worried about my ability to resist wine.  I had a dream about drinking a big glass of red the other night.  It was great but I felt so guilty that in the dream I decided it hadn't been worth it! (That's saying alot because I really like drinking wine!) 

Here's to a wonderful day and wonderful week for all!

Lizzie

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I start my day with you, and it really helps to stay focused on the good parts of this, and the long-term committment I'm making to my future good health.  Thanks for all of the sharing, the good and the bad.

New thing I noticed yesterday...I am not nearly as hungry as I was.  I couldn't finish a bowl of "no-oat morning mix" that I had made, and came back to it 2 hours later.  I am not sure that has ever happened!!  And then, when I opened the email this a.m. from the Whole30 (the one that they send every day for the 30 days for 50c/day), there it was...not feeling hungry.  Sounds like I'm on track with that at least. 

I feel though like I'm way behind everyone with exercise.  I've never done crossfit.  Right now, I will need to wait with everything else in my life happening to add crossfit to the mix.  Any recommendations on how to start?? I am thinking that the timing will be better/good about a week after the W30 is past.

Other big decision...bought a slow cooker and glass containers to store food.  I'm going to go through all of the plastic disaster areas of the kitchen and match up lids/bottoms and trash what isn't matched or cracked/broken.  This is a big deal, as for the last 30 years of being together, my husband has been the chef.  It is 'his' kitchen.  I think he thought that me doing things in the kitchen was "cute" but wouldn't last more than a week.  He has been surprised and for the most part pleased I think with my cooking results.  There are still plenty of nights I work and not eating with the family that he can cook and the kids get their favorite meals that are either gluten-filled rather than free, or not W30. 

Amy

I started August 12th, too! Feeling great and staying on track. I finally got over my super sluggish runs and am back near my normal pace, which was a huge relief.

Tip: Make the Well Fed Pad Thai if you have or can get your hands on the cookbook. It's amazing. Coconut aminos have vastly improved my Whole 30 experience! I've also been saved by club soda and lime when I've wanted a drink. The bubbles make all the difference to me.

We're halfway there! Congrats :)

Christie, 33, English teacher, IL

Woah, day 15.  I struggled this weekend with low energy and haven't been able to sleep in--up at 6 on Saturday AND Sunday!  What is going on with me?  I also don't feel like my clothes fit any differently... kind of hitting a lull here and hoping things turn the corner soon and I start feeling this tiger's blood everyone keeps talking about!  Trying to keep my eyes on the prize, but it's hard!  

@ EricaV: I'm so sorry.  I'm so inspired by the way you're moving through this difficult situation with grace.  

@lizzie_s: totally feel you re: enormo goblet of wine.  Keep fighting the good fight!  I am moving this weekend and feel the same kind of trepidation about meals out, etc.  It's hard to stay on plan when you're not in your own kitchen but after seeing so many of you succeed, I know I have no excuses!!

@carrot_flowers: omg that pad thai is my jam.  Love it.  Love Well Fed in general.  Everything I've made so far has been super delicious.  also is your name a Neutral Milk Hotel reference?

@Amy: I'm not feeling that hungry either and thought something was wrong with me!  I don't get the emails so it's nice to know I'm not the only one with weirdly decreased appetite.  I have been taking it easy on exercise too.  I used to do Crossfit, and the gym was really welcoming to newcomers.  You didn't have to have any experience with weightlifting and the atmosphere was very inclusive. I recommend just going to your nearest gym and giving it a shot!  It can be a little $$ though.  

I too start my day with reading everyone's posts and I find it a very good way to start my day, as we all have our ups and downs and it is so good to read the positives and the way you are all managing to get over some "downs", thank you all x

exercise wise I have not stopped or changed what I have been doing and I am finding the first part of a run or bike rid a bit hard (the first 10 minutes or so) but after that seem to have really good steady energy and I am not super hungry afterwards, which is nice. having some protein and fat pre workout seems to work well and some sweet potato or pumpkin as part of the after breakfast snack or meal (depending on timing) with protein is perfect to stop the hungers afterwards

I had lunch out yesterday and even though the place had several either gluten or dairy free options there wasn't much that gave me both...ended up with poached egg and salmon minus the toast and a long black- as the only vege salad was full of potato...went home and ate kimchi and pumpkin (as this was after long bike ride...) lol - it was fine

Woah, day 15.  I struggled this weekend with low energy and haven't been able to sleep in--up at 6 on Saturday AND Sunday!  What is going on with me?  I also don't feel like my clothes fit any differently... kind of hitting a lull here and hoping things turn the corner soon and I start feeling this tiger's blood everyone keeps talking about!  Trying to keep my eyes on the prize, but it's hard!  

I'm in the same boat! Though I'm feeling great and my mood is very positive, I'm struggling with low energy and I was really hoping to feel/see a weight difference by now. Keeping on track is getting easier and I can't say I have many cravings - but I really wish I had the energy to get in some good workouts and more intense exercise!

@carrot_flowers: omg that pad thai is my jam.  Love it.  Love Well Fed in general.  Everything I've made so far has been super delicious.  also is your name a Neutral Milk Hotel reference?

Well Fed is amazing. What other recipes have you made? I can personally vouch for the waldorf tuna salad, chicken thighs, and best ever chicken breasts. I made the Moroccan meatballs, which weren't so amazing (actually kind of tough and bland), but the rest were all awesome. I also like the recipes in Sarah Fragosa's "Everyday Paleo," if you ever get a chance to check it out - especially the meatloaf, Moroccan chicken, and "some good cabbage." Delicious.

And cheers to you (club soda, of course) for picking out the Neutral Milk reference! I am SO SO SO SUPER STOKED to have gotten tickets to see them this February!

Note regarding day 15: I haven't "cheated" and weighed myself, but I did take measurements yesterday and lost an inch off my waist and chest. I was really hoping for a little more change (I know, too high of expectations), but I've been Paleo on and off (mostly on) for almost a year, so I figured my body would be slow to react, being that I'm not changing my diet in a major way.

I DO feel like I'm reigning in the sugar demons, though, which is my biggest struggle.

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I start my day with you, and it really helps to stay focused on the good parts of this, and the long-term committment I'm making to my future good health.  Thanks for all of the sharing, the good and the bad.

New thing I noticed yesterday...I am not nearly as hungry as I was.  I couldn't finish a bowl of "no-oat morning mix" that I had made, and came back to it 2 hours later.  I am not sure that has ever happened!!  And then, when I opened the email this a.m. from the Whole30 (the one that they send every day for the 30 days for 50c/day), there it was...not feeling hungry.  Sounds like I'm on track with that at least. 

I feel though like I'm way behind everyone with exercise.  I've never done crossfit.  Right now, I will need to wait with everything else in my life happening to add crossfit to the mix.  Any recommendations on how to start?? I am thinking that the timing will be better/good about a week after the W30 is past.

Other big decision...bought a slow cooker and glass containers to store food.  I'm going to go through all of the plastic disaster areas of the kitchen and match up lids/bottoms and trash what isn't matched or cracked/broken.  This is a big deal, as for the last 30 years of being together, my husband has been the chef.  It is 'his' kitchen.  I think he thought that me doing things in the kitchen was "cute" but wouldn't last more than a week.  He has been surprised and for the most part pleased I think with my cooking results.  There are still plenty of nights I work and not eating with the family that he can cook and the kids get their favorite meals that are either gluten-filled rather than free, or not W30. 

Amy

I too am finding a lot of difference in my hunger level, although I'm only on Day 11. I often am not hungry in the morning. Anyone else have that? Any insight?

As far as exercise, I hadn't even heard to Crossfit before starting W30.  I do pilates once a week, TRX once a week and a 4-5 walk every weekend.  I'm also trying to fit in some swimming as I want to build up my stamina and know I need more cardio.  I walk alot and try to hit my 10,000 steps a day.  I think the main thing is to find something you like to do and do it.  I figure every minute of exercise I do is better than not doing it.  So be kind to yourself -- you'll get there!

On another note, I love the fact that there are people from all over the world on this thread! It gives me a little insight into what life is like in other places.  

Another day in the bank.  See you in the morning!

Lizzie

So my travel updates are pretty positive! I've been able to eat about 95% compliant, so im still feeling pretty good! There has only been two meals where if I was going to eat gluten free I was going to be stuck with rice. This is the problem with Chinese restaurants, they are not celiac friendly (I'm married into a Chinese family and this trip is about my husbands family, so that's why it's lots of Asian food options)! I realized right away after eating that rice makes me feel so sleepy, although otherwise fine. Now I know it should be eaten rarely. I also was stuck with a yogurt for breakfast as I couldn't get eggs and now I know dairy is out for good as I had lots of cramping after. Remarkably, my sugar dragon seems to be finally going away. I just don't care to have extra sugar. This is a total change in my life, as I'm a sugar fiend! I'm actually excited to go back to the strict Whole30 when I'm home because if I have this many good changes in such a short while, coupled with having a mini pause than I am thinking the full month will be nothing less than remarkable!

Hi everyone

Lizzie, I too find it real exciting that I can chat and have this experience with such a multinational group.

As I'm currently on day 5 but actually following the eating program for quite some time, there is the matter of my sore throat. I was a real bad case of the flu the week before I started the Whole30. Got better, got worse, got better and last week got REAL worse. So I've stopped exercising where my pulse escalates. Just easy walks. 

Happygirl, when straying from the strict W30 because u have to then some light bulbs do occur. In my case anyhow! I'll be here when u come back from your travel and continue doing the W30 with u until we're both done!!!! (I'm very decisive today!!!:-))

carrot_flowers, I've not lost quite a lot around my waist but the shape of my upper body has changed heaps! Muffin to gone for one :) So, maybe your shape is changing, not necessarily your volume?!

Eating for me is always a singing experience these days. I hum while chopping veggies, I hum while eating the delicious food and I hum when I wake up thinking of the bounty of food I have in my fridge that is just there for the picking.

Have a great day everyone. Both those on and off at the moment. It's the living paleo that matters in the long run. Changing things permanently. The W30 (as I see it) is an awareness journey. 

Trine

@Trine

Great to see you're rockin' it! :)

(The positive vibe is glowing between the lines of what you're writing now!)

I think it's also a good call to avoid pulse raising activities when the respiratory system is affected.

Btw, is your name Trina or Trine? (Noticed your nick says Trina but you sign with Trine...)

Oh, and about the multinationality in this thread...we're neighbors!

(I'm from Sweden) :)

Archived