starting August 12

EricaV

@Trine

Great to see you're rockin' it! :)

(The positive vibe is glowing between the lines of what you're writing now!)

I think it's also a good call to avoid pulse raising activities when the respiratory system is affected.

Btw, is your name Trina or Trine? (Noticed your nick says Trina but you sign with Trine...)

Oh, and about the multinationality in this thread...we're neighbors!

(I'm from Sweden) :)

Hvor i Sverige da?

I'm actually Trine but when I've lived in English speaking countries I've found it easier to call my self Trina. Even started signing my name with Trina and no 'ø' in my faimily name while living in Australia. 

I'm an insufferable optimist by nature. Can drive other people up the walls sometimes. And combined with my new energy level I'm back to being an insufferable brat like I used to be when I was a teen. 

Trine/Trina... 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the multinational aspect of this group is awesome--though I just about died from envy when Trina was talking about hiking around Oslo! It might be fun to post pictures from our weekend adventures. It's a holiday weekend coming up in Canada. I am thinking about taking the dogs for a hike.

Day 16 and we're over half way there. Today I'm feeling quite good. In fact I think I could keep on doing this--except that I know of at least two events coming in September where I will have no control over the food I eat, so I can't fully commit. It's funny. When you start a W30, you coun't the days until it's over and at some point, you just want to go on forever! I'll stick to Paleo after this. I was eating Paleo before my summer vacation and then there was a terrible month-long landslide into the land of eating junk and drinking everything!

Wherever you are in the world, have a great day 16.

Hvor i Sverige da?

I'm actually Trine but when I've lived in English speaking countries I've found it easier to call my self Trina. Even started signing my name with Trina and no 'ø' in my faimily name while living in Australia.

I'm an insufferable optimist by nature. Can drive other people up the walls sometimes. And combined with my new energy level I'm back to being an insufferable brat like I used to be when I was a teen.

Trine/Trina...

...en liten by i södra Sverige (gränsen Skåne/Småland ungefär).

I was guessing your name was Trine, but got curious on why "Trina"...makes perfect sense! :)

Awesome! Natural positivity sure is one good characteristic to posess! :)

We're such a happy bunch this morning! (Well, it's morning for me on the east coast of the US.) Maybe because in spite of the occasional bumps in the road we are actually seeing and feeling the benefits of living our lives this way.  I am so inspired by all the optimism and enthusiasm from all of you!  I just hope we all stick around together even after hitting Day 30.  I'm feeling like I will want to keep going with this way of eating after the 30 days.  As I've said elsewhere, giving up wine is a drag for me, and there are days when I wish I could put a handful of chickpeas in my salad instead of more meat, but other than that I'm not feeling too deprived.  I notice the triggers when I walk into a store full of good bakery smells but I've had to be gluten free for two years so I'm kinda used to that.  It's a good trade-off to notice that my tendon pain subsides much more quickly than it used to.

Onward!

Lizzie

Well Fed is amazing. What other recipes have you made? I can personally vouch for the waldorf tuna salad, chicken thighs, and best ever chicken breasts. I made the Moroccan meatballs, which weren't so amazing (actually kind of tough and bland), but the rest were all awesome. I also like the recipes in Sarah Fragosa's "Everyday Paleo," if you ever get a chance to check it out - especially the meatloaf, Moroccan chicken, and "some good cabbage." Delicious.

And cheers to you (club soda, of course) for picking out the Neutral Milk reference! I am SO SO SO SUPER STOKED to have gotten tickets to see them this February!

Isn't it great?  I've made the mayo, sunshine sauce, pad Thai, and baba ganoush.  All excellent.  Also made her mayo-based salad dressing, and have been "steam-sauteing" veggies as soon as I get them so that they are ready to toss into my dinner!  This diet is all about planning and prep, isn't it?  Thanks for the cookbook rec!  I've been wanting to get another book and am happy to have your stamp of approval.

I can't BELIEVE you got NMH tickets!!  So jealous.  I could listen to In the Aeroplane over and over forever.  Considering forking over for the NYC dates on Stub Hub right now....

Yeah Lizzie!  Yeah Trine!  Yeah Kellie!  Yeah all you international partners in crime!  Everyone is kicking butt.  I love it.  I agree that I've hit the point where I just want to keep doing this forever.  I feel great!  Why would I ever want to change?  I feel the same way re: wine and not being able to toss some chickpeas in my salad, but I think that I'll be able to keep eating more or less just like this for the foreseeable future.  Chickpeas are not Whole30, but that's a different kind of nutritional off-roading than eating a Snickers bar.

I also check in first thing in the morning and I can't tell you how nice it's been to know you are all on this journey too!  I have to say, Day 16 is feeling pretty good.  My weekend energy slump has passed, and I have gotten so used to having an even energy level that I've forgotten how it used to be: I'd get ravenous mid-morning and mid-afternoon, had a hypoglycemic episode at least 2x a week, and could not stop myself from raiding the office candy bowl.  That candy bowl holds no temptation for me any longer, which is wild.  

I've noticed I'm a lot nicer these days, friendlier with strangers, generally chattier and happier.  It's fun!  

Three cheers for us.  Have a great Tuesday everyone (or Wednesday as the case may be!)

Caroline

@CFD 'I've noticed I'm a lot nicer these days, friendlier with strangers, generally chattier and happier.  It's fun!' 

I was reminded that I should exercise more but because of my throat I want to take it easy. So I replied that as long as I'm getting chirpier and slimmer, does it matter if I don't run in the morning?!!! hehe

I'm at the end of my workday and for will make something out of my fridge. It is always fun to just dump all I have of different veggies in a pan, add some protein and see what happens. At the moment I've fresh chili in EVERYTHING with coconut milk... mmmmmm

I have Well Fed on my iPad but it's not the same so I've ordered it on Amazon in hard copy.

Are any of you runners? I will post this question elsewhere, but my running has taken another turn for the worse after some slight improvement.

Background: I run 3-6 miles per day (with 1-2 days off a week), and my normal "easy run" pace is about 9:40/mi. I haven't even attempted any speed workout since beginning the Whole 30, so I don't know how my other paces have been affected.

Since starting Whole 30, I am SO SO SLOW. The first 12 days, my "easy run" pace was averaging 10:45/mi and it DIDN'T FEEL EASY at all. I felt short of breath; I couldn't wait to stop running, and often times I had to stop running to catch my breath. My legs felt like anvils as I jogged.

On days 13 & 14, my runs started improving a little (faster and slightly easier-seeming), but yesterday (day 15), I was back to feeling awful.

I DO eat a pre-run snack, and what it is varies. Sometimes, I'll eat half a Larabar. Other times, some chicken breast. The nutritional content of these pre-run snacks vary greatly based on whatever is on-hand and easy, and I haven't noticed a difference in ease of running in relationship to what I've eaten beforehand.

I LOVE RUNNING. It is what keeps me sane. I do enjoy other exercises as well, but I need running in my life because I truly enjoy it.

Any ideas for improvement in this area?

@Happylilgirl: I'm in for September

@Trine: I think I'm nicer too, though I started meditating again at the same time as W30, so I wasn't sure which was responsible.

@carrot flowers: I'm not a runner or even much of a dedicated exerciser and I'm still a newbie here but I'm guessing that it's just taking your body more time to adjust. I too have a weird combination of feeling stronger and better in some ways but also feeling weak and without stamina in others. I do know that I was advised on another thread about not eating enough. I wonder if half a Larabar or just chicken is giving you enough fuel. You might try devising a pre-workout snack that includes some fat and carb (yesterday I had about 3/4 c chicken and vegetable soup with a few nuts). I find it's hard to time it so I don't feel too full to work out, but overall I think it's better when I have a more balanced snack, just in a very small portion. Keep experimenting and listening to your body.

I am feeling very proud that right before lunch I had a very stressful and upsetting meeting but managed to keep on track at the meal. A piece of broiled salmon and veggies dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. I didn't even feel a craving for a comforting sweet when I got back to my office. Instead I'm checking in with you guys and then will allow myself to sit quietly for a few minutes before going back to Stresstown. :-)

so fun reading everyone's positively charged posts today! it's funny, because I was also thinking to myself today, that at the end of the 30, I'll have a glass of wine and then start up for another stretch of whole30. honestly, I now can't imagine going back to eating any other way.

still struggling to get back to my regular exercise routine and I'm also struggling with preparing one diet for myself and one for my 5 year old son. I'd love to transition him over to this entirely, but it seems impossible. for quite awhile I was having great sucess with a mostly paleo diet for him - suddenly I've hit an incredibly picky stage and it seems like all my go-to meals and snacks aren't working. I think it's mostly due to summer camp and the wide array of "food without brakes" he suddenly has easy access to - he's discovered the world of goldfish crackers and candy and juice boxes and he wants nothing more to do with my almond flour cookies and homemade fish sticks.

congrats to everyone, past the halfway point :)

Still going strong! Yay! And, echoing the words of others, there is a huge change in my mood. I feel, somehow, lighter and happier. Things don't get to me as much. An unintended benefit, but I'll take it.

I really want co commit to another Whole 30, with the rest of you, but I know I can't because of a couple of events. BUT I can commit to strict Paleo and I'll stay here with you and if It turns out that I can be compliant at those events, I'll call it Whole 30.

There's not much I'm missing:

-definitely don't miss the bloat (or using that word to describe myself-bleh)

-or the feeing that I need alcohol to mend a bad day (I don't get that stressed)

-and I'm not missing rice and potatoes even a little bit

-dairy and I had a bad break up in June because I got really sick and realized that dairy was making the issue worse-so I definitely don't miss it

-surprisingly enough I also don't miss the migraines that come when the humidity rises (like it is right now)-not one since Whole 30 started

I love my new life so much!

Hi everyone

I'm at work. sitting here planning in my head what to say to all the people I'm meeting for after-work drinks. I've declined a few times the last couple of months and this time my work is arranging a movie-night (Pioneer) and going out for drinks later. Sigh... So, club soda with lime as soon as I arrive. Some blogger wrote that. It looks like a sparkling Tom collins, right?!! :)

I had cod with sauteed carrots for lunch today. And I only thought about it after, but I bet those carrots where made in butter. Check, I asked about the gravy (didn't have that) but forgot about the carrots. Learned something new. Will monitor if I'll get a reaction.

Hope everyone is sleeping like flintstones!

Trina 

@ Trina:

I have to agree, a drink or two is really the only thing I miss, and it's the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing again the weekend after we finish! Honestly, the only things I plan to reintroduce to my diet any time soon are alcohol and dark chocolate, though my initial thought is to limit both to one indulgence a week.

@Lizzie

Yes! I think I need to keep a better log of what/when I'm pre-workout eating. In the athletes thread, many suggested a high-carb veggies as part of breakfast and lunch on run days. Unfortunately, I am a creature of habit, and every morning I eat veggie hash with eggs and a salad with a protein for lunch. I guess I need to start some new habits!

Day 17 is not pumping me with tiger blood, though, y'all.  I feel tired. I feel cranky. I have a headache.

... I think it's the heat and humidity, though. Staying strong. Maybe I'll wake up roaring tomorrow.

Hi everyone

Lizzie, I too find it real exciting that I can chat and have this experience with such a multinational group.

As I'm currently on day 5 but actually following the eating program for quite some time, there is the matter of my sore throat. I was a real bad case of the flu the week before I started the Whole30. Got better, got worse, got better and last week got REAL worse. So I've stopped exercising where my pulse escalates. Just easy walks. 

Happygirl, when straying from the strict W30 because u have to then some light bulbs do occur. In my case anyhow! I'll be here when u come back from your travel and continue doing the W30 with u until we're both done!!!! (I'm very decisive today!!!:-))

carrot_flowers, I've not lost quite a lot around my waist but the shape of my upper body has changed heaps! Muffin to gone for one :) So, maybe your shape is changing, not necessarily your volume?!

Eating for me is always a singing experience these days. I hum while chopping veggies, I hum while eating the delicious food and I hum when I wake up thinking of the bounty of food I have in my fridge that is just there for the picking.

Have a great day everyone. Both those on and off at the moment. It's the living paleo that matters in the long run. Changing things permanently. The W30 (as I see it) is an awareness journey. 

Trine

I like that...an awareness journey.  Really well said.

@ Trina:

I have to agree, a drink or two is really the only thing I miss, and it's the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing again the weekend after we finish! Honestly, the only things I plan to reintroduce to my diet any time soon are alcohol and dark chocolate, though my initial thought is to limit both to one indulgence a week.

@Lizzie

Yes! I think I need to keep a better log of what/when I'm pre-workout eating. In the athletes thread, many suggested a high-carb veggies as part of breakfast and lunch on run days. Unfortunately, I am a creature of habit, and every morning I eat veggie hash with eggs and a salad with a protein for lunch. I guess I need to start some new habits!

Day 17 is not pumping me with tiger blood, though, y'all.  I feel tired. I feel cranky. I have a headache.

... I think it's the heat and humidity, though. Staying strong. Maybe I'll wake up roaring tomorrow.

I'm one state over, MO from IL and yes, the heat and humidity have me with no energy whatsoever, maybe the opposite, kitten in sunshine sleepy.  Ugh.  Ready for fall! 

I have decided that after W30, I'm only adding good, red wine.  I don't even miss the dark chocolate, although if something special (really special) was offered, I'd have a bite. 

What have I learned about myself? I can leave food on my plate, push away and not finish it when I'm no longer hungry. This is pretty huge in our society where it is considered a "sin" to leave any food on the plate, or just downright rude to the chef.  Oh well, I'm getting past it all, let alone my hunger to eat.  Yeah!! 

Also, definitely noticing shape changes, even more than the loose pants. 

I have decided I will do more focused exercise than more typical once I have learned a bit more about the cooking/food prep and balancing my nutty 12-15 hour work days, along with the family and household parts of life.  And, yes, I do sleep very well.  Now and before, so that hasn't been altered too much. 

Love the positive-ness seeping from the posts!! 

Love the mulit-national aspect of shared experiences, without borders or politics.

Is anyone else starting to have concerns about being done with W30? and facing the "I'm not on the strict W30??".  I hope they have an app for that.

OK, back to work, took my late p.m. snack break with you guys.

Amy

I'm one state over, MO from IL and yes, the heat and humidity have me with no energy whatsoever, maybe the opposite, kitten in sunshine sleepy.  Ugh.  Ready for fall! 

I have decided that after W30, I'm only adding good, red wine.  I don't even miss the dark chocolate, although if something special (really special) was offered, I'd have a bite. 

What have I learned about myself? I can leave food on my plate, push away and not finish it when I'm no longer hungry. This is pretty huge in our society where it is considered a "sin" to leave any food on the plate, or just downright rude to the chef.  Oh well, I'm getting past it all, let alone my hunger to eat.  Yeah!! 

Also, definitely noticing shape changes, even more than the loose pants. 

I have decided I will do more focused exercise than more typical once I have learned a bit more about the cooking/food prep and balancing my nutty 12-15 hour work days, along with the family and household parts of life.  And, yes, I do sleep very well.  Now and before, so that hasn't been altered too much. 

Love the positive-ness seeping from the posts!! 

Love the mulit-national aspect of shared experiences, without borders or politics.

Is anyone else starting to have concerns about being done with W30? and facing the "I'm not on the strict W30??".  I hope they have an app for that.

OK, back to work, took my late p.m. snack break with you guys.

Amy

About exercise, my body is telling me not to stress with the exercise as long as I'm in a steady emotional state. I don't get riled up as much and I no longer interrupt people. My inner self/security has definitely been improved. The nagging feeling that people don't pay attention, the stereotypical insecurities 'girls' feel about not being loved, the closet depression. All gone along with my thoughts that I have absolutely no willpower. It was never about willpower! It was about hormones engineering my life instead of the rock solid Trine that is me! I just want to stick out my tongue to grain in general and say: HA!!!! never catching me again!!!!

And about after Whole30; I no longer feel the need for chocolate, bread, cinnamon roles. But yesterday I overcame an old demon of mine. When I was driving home after being out with my job where they were drinking wine and beer, I SO wanted to have some wine from the carton at home. But when I came home with my mind blank from the need of red wine, the living room was so messy after yesterdays rearrangement of furniture I just started straightening things out and forgot about the wine. Lesson learned; keep moving and use your hands and your brain will follow!! hehehe 

@ so Amy, falling down to old habits I'm not afraid of. But there should be an app!!! I've some blogs I frequent but it's difficult to read them on the iPhone.

Obviously feeling chatty this morning, so...

Have a good day everyone and don't sweat the inability to exercise. Our bodies are acclimatizing themselves. Let them :)

With love and bright eyes

Trine

About exercise, my body is telling me not to stress with the exercise as long as I'm in a steady emotional state. I don't get riled up as much and I no longer interrupt people. My inner self/security has definitely been improved. The nagging feeling that people don't pay attention, the stereotypical insecurities 'girls' feel about not being loved, the closet depression. All gone along with my thoughts that I have absolutely no willpower. It was never about willpower! It was about hormones engineering my life instead of the rock solid Trine that is me! I just want to stick out my tongue to grain in general and say: HA!!!! never catching me again!!!!

And about after Whole30; I no longer feel the need for chocolate, bread, cinnamon roles. But yesterday I overcame an old demon of mine. When I was driving home after being out with my job where they were drinking wine and beer, I SO wanted to have some wine from the carton at home. But when I came home with my mind blank from the need of red wine, the living room was so messy after yesterdays rearrangement of furniture I just started straightening things out and forgot about the wine. Lesson learned; keep moving and use your hands and your brain will follow!! hehehe 

@ so Amy, falling down to old habits I'm not afraid of. But there should be an app!!! I've some blogs I frequent but it's difficult to read them on the iPhone.

Obviously feeling chatty this morning, so...

Have a good day everyone and don't sweat the inability to exercise. Our bodies are acclimatizing themselves. Let them :)

With love and bright eyes

Trine

Trine, I love what you've written and I love it even more that you are feeling so well. I have to admit that the mental side of this W30 is what I love most, but can't put into words how I feel (which is funny because I work in the communication field). It's definitely the reason that I will continue to follow a strict paleo diet afterward, though.

My goals were all physical, when I started, but it is this lightness of being that will make me continue.

Have a great day, my friends!

Kellie

And, by the way, has everyone seen this hilarious post from our own CFDubbs?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13033-fat-a-love-story/#entry137850

Hilarious.

A little bit of triumph to share:  Rotten morning, disaster with cooking breakfast so didn't eat enough before I had to dash out.  Before lunch I was wondering why I was so tired and realized -- Oh, I have no fuel in my body!  Ordered a nice big salad with chicken, walnuts, apple and onion.  Asked all about how the chicken was prepared, told them to hold the cheese and the dressing.  Salad arrives and the walnuts are CANDIED!  Picked them out and nicely suggested to the waitress that it should say so on the menu and since I was asking if there was sugar in the brine for the chicken, she might have warned me about the nuts! But so it went, tons to do the rest of the day until I got home ravenous!  But (and here's the big news), I had a few bites of leftover fish to stave off the pangs, meditated so that I could approach dinner calmly, and then cooked myself a beautiful meal. (Flounder with tomato, scallion, capers & olives plus steamed zucchini and half an apple -- didn't think I could cook fish without wine!)  And in spite of the stress, hunger, aggravation, etc. I keep noticing that I'm really happy!  How great is that. It feels so good to be better able to listen to and understand what my body wants.

Now for a public commitment.  I want to eat all my meals for the next week sitting at the table and paying attention.  Living alone I often come home exhausted and fall into dinner on the couch with the TV for company.  And it really is not good for me.  I managed today OK and I will be with friends at the weekend but i really need to curb this habit.  So I need to "say it out loud." Thanks for being my witnesses.

@ Trine - looks like I'm having a chatty evening  ;)

Lizzie

Day 17 is not pumping me with tiger blood, though, y'all. I feel tired. I feel cranky. I have a headache.

Carrot flowers - you don't need to change your habits too much to incorporate starchy vegies in to your normal breakfast and salad! Some grated sweet potato, or pre baked pieces, would go nicely in your breakfast, and raw grated beetroot and carrot is delicious in salads :)

My copy of Well Fed arrived yesterday.  I got so excited reading it that I stayed up 30 mins past my bedtime.  Can't wait to start cooking from it.

Have a great day everyone, and for the Americans, have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!  I hope to check in but I might be having too much fun!

:D Lizzie

Archived