starting August 12

EricaV

My copy of Well Fed arrived yesterday.  I got so excited reading it that I stayed up 30 mins past my bedtime.  Can't wait to start cooking from it.

Have a great day everyone, and for the Americans, have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!  I hope to check in but I might be having too much fun!

:D Lizzie

Im also waiting for my Well Fed! I bought it first on Kindle but I NEED the physical book!!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of positive vibes right now!

I too am really enjoying the way I feel and the meals, OMG, they are so good!

I had a stressful week on various levels and last night was very tired- this would usually have been a good "reason" to binge on some sweet foods or cornchips (whatever was handy) but didn't do so- I did eat after dinner for the first time in a long while- berries and nuts and this morning noticed the difference on waking- not so comfortable in the stomach department- a good reminder

a bit over a week to go and I think I will find it almost hard to stop whole30, mainly because I like living by the rules, makes it easier for me. I think I am going to stick with the main premise of 3 meals and no snacks but probably will have the occasional treat of dark chocolate, maybe some yoghurt or kefir, maybe a glass of red wine- other than that am not bothered ;)

I struggled yesterday. I don't know why. The thought of one more Whole 30 meal made me want to scream. I wasn't far from declaring 19 days good enough and throwing in the towel. Fortunately my husband was not in the same boat and suggested we go out for dinner. We live in a relatively small city that is truly blessed with excellent restaurants committed to serving local ingredients. Our meal was wonderful, and compliant and I came home, had a cup of green tea and called it a night. Better today.

I have been incredibly lazy about getting some exercise each day. Here is my public declaration that I will get 30 minutes a day. Ultimately I want to do more, but I'll start there.

It's Labour Day weekend and the weather isn't looking promising. I'll have to find something other than my planned hike. Hmmmmm.

All,

Although I am still pretty happy with all W30 aspects (other than the wine, and believe me, my friends who know me are amazed that the wine snob is passing on wine), I have a pretty serious question:

I'm on day 20, and for the 6th day in a row, have had some stomach/GI issues.  Have needed to be medicated (similar to my immediate celiac problems when i accidently get into something).  I am 99.9% certain I haven't inadvertently eaten either gluten, or anything non-compliant.  Anyone else in this boat?  Fine for the first two weeks, and then this third week have issues with bathroom episodes?  Is this all the talk about the GI tract getting "healed" from the grains?  If so, then why now and now for the first 14 days?

I am about to go to a lake for a stand up paddle board lessons with a friend and our two daughters....would hate to have a stomach "issue" on the lake. 

Amy

All,

Although I am still pretty happy with all W30 aspects (other than the wine, and believe me, my friends who know me are amazed that the wine snob is passing on wine), I have a pretty serious question:

I'm on day 20, and for the 6th day in a row, have had some stomach/GI issues.  Have needed to be medicated (similar to my immediate celiac problems when i accidently get into something).  I am 99.9% certain I haven't inadvertently eaten either gluten, or anything non-compliant.  Anyone else in this boat?  Fine for the first two weeks, and then this third week have issues with bathroom episodes?  Is this all the talk about the GI tract getting "healed" from the grains?  If so, then why now and now for the first 14 days?

I am about to go to a lake for a stand up paddle board lessons with a friend and our two daughters....would hate to have a stomach "issue" on the lake. 

Amy

As I dont have celiac diegnosis I know for a fact that I have what I refer to as starch issues. The more starch I consume, my excema pops up. Even though during the W30 Ive improved I still need to cook my vegebales, avoid some seed fruit. It might be that u need to do the autoimmune W30 (Im going to try it for my next W30 but need to learn more first)

I have absoulutly no medical background. Just personal emperical thoughts and feelings on this. Good luck with ur paddeling.

hugs

trina

@Amy- I was on day 20 yesterday and I have to say- I feel that my gut is still changing too. I do not have celiac of IBD issues but used to feel bloated often and if anything had to be careful not to get constipated. these last few weeks though are quite different - much less bloating and more frequent trips to the bathroom....and yesterday when I went for my morning run I had to REALLY find a toilet in a hurry-

thinking back I had nothing unusual but maybe some more nuts the day before (I have been trying to go easy on the nuts) as well as olive oil pesto, blueberries....

I am sure it takes more than a few weeks to adjust and I guess there will be foods that make the bowels react more than others, be it oils, nuts, fruit, coffee....

hope it settles Amy - enjoy your vacation

@Kelliem- well done- you stuck it out!

I too had a low point a few days ago but then next day felt (dare I say it?) almost a bit tiger bloodish!!

how strange these changes are- I guess we just have to go with the flow and take it day by day knowing what we are doing is a good thing but not every day is going to be easy and amazing

how nice that you could go to a restaurant and have a compliant meal! I have been avoiding going out for meals as I know it will not be so easy around here. next month we will be on a 4 day trip to the big city and it will be all eating out.....

Hey all! It looks like some of us are struggling and others are feeling the tiger blood!

I haven't posted much because my stomach felt AWFUL most of this past week, my hair is falling out, I'm still tired, and I'm being Cranky McPankypants. I have been following you all because it gives me hope. I think I've found the cause of the stomach issues (coffee! Urgh..) and I think the crankiness is due to my cycle. I already have little hair and really can't lose any more, and I have no solution for that. On a positive note, my pants fit better, I feel thinner, and I sleep long and hard and feel rested when I wake up. Oh, and the meals are SO GOOD. I'm over doing the dishes three times a day, though. lol

Just wanted to let those who are struggling you're not alone! Looking for some evening out in the attitude this week.

Andrea

All,

Thanks for the info and your updates!  You are right EricaV, I'm definitely eating more nuts and berries than I had been, so I will work at finding other alternatives for the snacks.  I have been relying on no-oat oatmeal for a meal once per day to "chew" a more carb like meal, sweetened with berries.

Even though it is 100 degrees F (that is not a joke, or an overstatement!), 4 of us had a fantastic Stand Up Paddle Board lessons and time on a lovely lake outside of STL today.  I am so excited about doing it and got quite the core/micro muscular work out today.  Far easier on a lake though than on the ocean like 4 weeks ago.  Hah!!  If only my 10 year old didn't show me up so badly with her super-athletic abilities. 

Starting to seriously think about how to add things back, what to add back, etc. 

Amy still 4 Health!!  adding some fun exercising into life too!!

I've just spent the afternoon being creative. Not hungry at all today. I have pork chops in the fridge, in a rub. I could seriously give up eating right now. Bleh.

EricaV, I'm hoping for tiger blood. This sucks!

Hey all! It looks like some of us are struggling and others are feeling the tiger blood!

I haven't posted much because my stomach felt AWFUL most of this past week, my hair is falling out, I'm still tired, and I'm being Cranky McPankypants. I have been following you all because it gives me hope. I think I've found the cause of the stomach issues (coffee! Urgh..) and I think the crankiness is due to my cycle. I already have little hair and really can't lose any more, and I have no solution for that. On a positive note, my pants fit better, I feel thinner, and I sleep long and hard and feel rested when I wake up. Oh, and the meals are SO GOOD. I'm over doing the dishes three times a day, though. lol

Just wanted to let those who are struggling you're not alone! Looking for some evening out in the attitude this week.

Andrea

Andrea - hair loss is not a good thing! Are you eating enough carbs? If you've dropped carbs out of your diet dramatically, this could cause hair loss....

Thank you everyone for your posts, strugglers and tiger blood-ers alike.  Reading about your experiences this Sunday morning is making me feel a million times better.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is having some stomach issues and it is inspiring to read about your triumphs!  I seriously don't know how I'd keep on keeping on without this thread!

@kelliem, thanks for the shout out!  I do love fat.  A lot.  I'm not feeling the tiger's blood either, unfortunately.  I hope it will come!  I have been sleeping like a rock, though, which is delightful.  I hope your pork chops were delicious. 

@EricaV: living by the rules is easier for me too.  I spent the past two days moving, and while everything went off without a hitch, I find moving very stressful.  I would absolutely have had a glass or three of wine at night had I not been on this program.  It was so much easier to resist the urge knowing that I had this no-drinking rule in place.  It also then forced me to examine the reason why I felt like having a drink so badly, an inquiry that never would have happened had I had a bottle of wine at hand.  

@Amy, as you have read, you are not the only one!  I haven't had GI distress, per se, but haven't felt amazing the past few days.  Still working through times of feeling bloated, low energy, foggy, etc., and unlike everyone else I'm not really seeing any physical changes.  I'm hiding the macadamia nuts and going to see if that helps.  Have you seen this site?  http://chriskresser.com/paleo-diet-challenges-solutions-ii-its-all-about-the-gut  It's a whole series of articles for people who aren't experiencing the glowing benefits of paleo immediately.  I think the guy wants to sell supplements, but the information could be helpful, for what it's worth.  I think these struggles are made worthwhile by the subsequent victories.  Go you!

Lizzie--I have also had to commit to not eating in front of the TV!  (Easier now that all my earthly possessions are in storage.)  You know what helps?  I put on NPR or This American Life.  I get the companionship that I want from the TV, but am still able to focus on what I'm eating, be mindful, present, etc., all the things that eating in front of the TV interferes with.  Also it keeps be abreast of what's happening in the world.  Not too shabby.  

Trine--love that bit in one of your previous posts: "the rock solid Trine that is me."  Yeah!  Get it girl!  Love that.  Going to keep thinking that all day about myself.  Keep on keeping on!

Tried to make a Bulletproof coffee today--woah, that is intense.  My cat is into it though--he has been trying to fit both his head and his paw in the mug the whole time I've been writing this post.  Hilarious.

Happy Sunday my friends!  

Caroline

Andrea - hair loss is not a good thing! Are you eating enough carbs? If you've dropped carbs out of your diet dramatically, this could cause hair loss....

Amber, I have been learning to like sweet potatoes and beets in order to keep my carbs up (not a huge fan of fruit). Guess it's time to add an apple and/or blueberries somewhere. I have dropped carbs dramatically, but its a good thing (I was drinking 1-3 48oz. fountain Cokes every day). I am hoping my body evens out soon.

On a funny note, I had my first food dream. I was eating guac and chips with friends. When I realized, 'CHIPS!!' I got so upset that I woke up! lol

Trine, I hope you get that UTI taken care of quickly! Ouch!

Big cookup scheduled for today and a day at my parents coming tomorrow (where I get green beans, tomatoes, serrano peppers, and fresh eggs, WHOOHOO!). Happy Sunday, everyone!

Andrea

Tried to make a Bulletproof coffee today--woah, that is intense. My cat is into it though--he has been trying to fit both his head and his paw in the mug the whole time I've been writing this post. Hilarious.

Happy Sunday my friends!

Caroline

Too funny about your cat! I've switched to tea in the morning for now and that seems to have fixed the "rock" in my stomach and cramping.

That is HUGE about the wine! Way to go! I've noticed there is a lot of self-discovery during a W30. Awesome!

Andrea

Amber, I have been learning to like sweet potatoes and beets in order to keep my carbs up (not a huge fan of fruit). Guess it's time to add an apple and/or blueberries somewhere. I have dropped carbs dramatically, but its a good thing (I was drinking 1-3 48oz. fountain Cokes every day). I am hoping my body evens out soon.

On a funny note, I had my first food dream. I was eating guac and chips with friends. When I realized, 'CHIPS!!' I got so upset that I woke up! lol

Trine, I hope you get that UTI taken care of quickly! Ouch!

Big cookup scheduled for today and a day at my parents coming tomorrow (where I get green beans, tomatoes, serrano peppers, and fresh eggs, WHOOHOO!). Happy Sunday, everyone!

Andrea

Andrea, its great that you've dropped the coke - but from what I've read, your body could be emulating thyroid issues (unless you actually have thyroid issues) from the low carb intake and showing symptoms (ie losing hair)....

how much sweet potato or beetroot are you eating? You don't need to eat fruit if you don't like it....possibly just more starchy carbs!

Hey Amber, thanks for helping :)

I manage a serving of one or the other at 2 out of three of my meals, sometimes all three. But my sister and mom both take thyroid meds...so there could be something to the thyroid issue. I've had it tested since I had my kiddos and it was "normal," though it was at the very low limit for that office. Hm. I'll have to play around with my food and see what works.

Hey Amber, thanks for helping :)

I manage a serving of one or the other at 2 out of three of my meals, sometimes all three. But my sister and mom both take thyroid meds...so there could be something to the thyroid issue. I've had it tested since I had my kiddos and it was "normal," though it was at the very low limit for that office. Hm. I'll have to play around with my food and see what works.

Yes, I'm thinking that something is either triggered by 3 weeks on W30, or coincidentally that you should see a physician.  Don't mess with the thyroid...or the adrenal, or the brain for that matter :),

Hi all,

Reading all of your comments and posts help me so much stay with this.  I am consciously reducing nuts, and likely cutting from 2 cups of iced coffee to 1.  No issues this a.m. with frequent bathroom visits, but then the meds I took yesterday might still be at work.  Glad to have the American holiday tomorrow for getting back on track with it. 

My new slow cooker and storage containers arrived, so looking forward to some meals this week that are new and adventurous and ready when I'm home from work. 

Does the book you are talking about Well Fed have recipes for the slow cooker?

Still really hot here, so "working" out by reorganizing parts of the house, sorting and cleaning....hah!  Forget spring cleaning.  Too bad I don't have this tiger blood yet, it would help motivate me more than the concept of curling up for a nap. 

My sleeping had been great the first week, and then my 10 year old combined her sleep walking with the bad dreams and while sleeping jumped from our second to first floor while sleep walking/running, while dreaming she was being chased.  We have now alarmed her door to be woken up when she opens the door, and since that night 2 weeks ago, I've not slept well, with half an ear open for every little sound she could make.  Hopefully we are getting this lovely sleep disorder under control.  The horror stories we've heard since....ugh!!  Enough to give me nightmares too!  So, I don't think I can attribute good vs bad sleep to the W30.  Looking forward though to not waking 20-30 times per night....

I'm thinking that this week will be a day to day cooking and cleaning out the freezer (didn't do that with the pre-work for the W30).  Now I know why it was there....  Looking forward to the slow cooked and ready to eat meals coming home though!

Amy,

You might find some of these good:http://hollywouldifshecould.net/2011/11/a-month-of-paleo-crockpot-recipes/.

NomNom Paleo has a recipe for chicken and gravy. I can't stand white rubbery chicken skin, so I've only ever done it as a pot roast. The gravy is absolutely fantastic.

I am totally enthralled with her blog/website....thank you!!  I had kale in the fridge, so decided to find a recipe tonight for dinner...made a sausage and kale soup like slow-cooker dish.  Very easy, very tasty, and I enjoyed the easy clean up of the slow-cooker.  Thanks!!

Hi y'all!  I'm sad to say I have to start over, but I'm ok with that.

I played in a tennis tournament this weekend, and just could not physically keep going without having *something* off plan.  There are only so many bananas a person can eat.  

So, I'm in my final tomorrow (whoo hoo!), lost in the semis in another draw today.  So finally only one match tomorrow (after two days of two or three matches in the heat and humidity).  Tuesday I'll get back on the wagon!  *thumbs up*

Hi y'all!  I'm sad to say I have to start over, but I'm ok with that.

I played in a tennis tournament this weekend, and just could not physically keep going without having *something* off plan.  There are only so many bananas a person can eat.  

So, I'm in my final tomorrow (whoo hoo!), lost in the semis in another draw today.  So finally only one match tomorrow (after two days of two or three matches in the heat and humidity).  Tuesday I'll get back on the wagon!  *thumbs up*

Hi there

Im on my day 11 officially today and continuing all through september. My lymf system demands it :) So u will not be alone :)

Trine

Archived