starting August 12

EricaV

Ummmm. I don't know why I said November 30. I meant the monthe of November--to prep for Christmas. I don't think (though I may be wrong) that I could get through Christmas on Whole 30!!!!

Sounds like you guys are much stronger than I am!!!

I figured doing W30 in December because I get VERY bad sleep and eczema of sugar. And the strict regime of W30 would be helpful. Besides, December is all about family traditions which include a lot of homemade food anyhow :) 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again, all!!

Its been a long time! Last week was the end of my Whole30, a mom's night out, and my birthday, so I was busy. I didn't post, but loved reading your posts every day!

It looks like those of us that chose to go non-compliant have really changed our tastebuds! For MNO, I decided to eat at the restaurant and that I wouldn't worry about what it was cooked in. Also, I was getting that soda! NONE of it tasted good. I got a reuben (which I used to LOVE) and ate almost half, ate a few bites of Caesar salad (I'd forgotten they put the dressing on), had a few sips of soda and asked for a water. It just was not worth it.

Friday (my birthday) I get a soda. And have cake that the fam baked for me. The only thing I felt was a bit tired. But I know its so not good for me, and not what I want to spend my free choices on!

We're continuing Whole9, but hubby has only had one piece of birthday cake that was non-compliant, so he's really on day 5 of a new Whole30. I'm joining him, as we had good results and I obviously need more time away from sugar. We didn't do a menu this week and have been struggling, so it's back to it for next week. I'm also tired of washing so. many. dishes.

This next month I am challenging myself to 30 days of at least 8 hours of sleep. I've gone back to going to bed at 1 or 2 and getting up with the kids (late!) at 7:45.

Good luck to everyone, whether you're still going or on to something new!

Andrea

Last night I ate ice cream. Today I have a migraine and my sinuses are acting up. Dairy and I had a bad break-up in June. The break-up is for real this time--though I did seem to tolerate a very small amount of goat cheese last weekend.

Hi all,

A quick update:  I've had more alcohol than anything else that would be non-compliant, although even with the wine, it has really only been about 4 glasses total in the last week.  No ill effects from that. Have had a few pieces of dark chocolate, and I can take it or leave it.  So, likely leaving it.  Dairy not at all added in, and not missing it.  I did though try some gluten free "granola" of amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat and oats (GF) with some high fat coconut milk.  I found I was missing chewing something like granola.  My no-oat oatmeal is pretty good, but lots of banana and nuts, so trying to go to something for that texture in eating.  Any suggestions, hugely appreciated.  So far nothing bad from eating any of it.  Exhausted due to lack of sleep and way too much work.  That would be a different forum.

Amy

This morning I put on a pair of trousers I bout in July and I am swimming in them! Time to go to the tailor.

Feeling great, though my commitment to sleep 7-8 hrs has been turning into 8-9. Am I really still that tired ;-)

Still goi g strong on what's turning out to be a Whole 45, and will be happy to join another challenge in Nov or Dec.

Have a great day, all!

Hi all,

A quick update:  I've had more alcohol than anything else that would be non-compliant, although even with the wine, it has really only been about 4 glasses total in the last week.  No ill effects from that. Have had a few pieces of dark chocolate, and I can take it or leave it.  So, likely leaving it.  Dairy not at all added in, and not missing it.  I did though try some gluten free "granola" of amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat and oats (GF) with some high fat coconut milk.  I found I was missing chewing something like granola.  My no-oat oatmeal is pretty good, but lots of banana and nuts, so trying to go to something for that texture in eating.  Any suggestions, hugely appreciated.  So far nothing bad from eating any of it.  Exhausted due to lack of sleep and way too much work.  That would be a different forum.

Amy

Google paleo granola. There are lots of recipes and it's crazy good. (Expensive to make, though)

I use this one all the time. It's really good.

http://www.livingprimal.ca/4/post/2012/05/no-oat-meal-hot-cereal.html

I use this one:  http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/06-01/no-oat-oatmeal/

I double the batch and use 2 smaller bananas, and probably err on having a bit more of the nuts.  I love the pumpkin seeds and the fresh berries on top, sometimes add extra coconut milk when I eat it hot to have it like real milk on top.

Google paleo granola. There are lots of recipes and it's crazy good. (Expensive to make, though)

This looks exactly like what I'm missing!  Thank you, will give it a try after my travels end first of Oct.  No time for cooking at home right now...ugh.  Been less compliant with travels, but still trying to stick with it as much as possible.

A bit of an update. Yesterday my husband and I attended a wedding...and I didn't drink--just club soda a cranberry juice. This morning, I awoke refreshed and ready for the day. I had a great sleep and I have to say that I had just as much fun as ever (maybe a bit more fun because I wasn't dreading the hangover).

Thanks for the recipes Kellie and Amy.  And for the inspiration, Kellie.  Maybe I won't do so much drinking after all.  :o

Continuing to feel good and strong.  Yay.

I'm so impressed by how everyone is fitting in what they can, whether traveling, special events, or just regular life.

I'm off to look after my friend's 2 and 4 year old this morning -- I definitely will have more energy than I used to!

I'd love to see your coconut porridge recipe, thanks!

Of course Lizzie! :)

(It's not mine originally though, and I can't remember where I first saw it so I can't give credits :( )

Anyway...

INGREDIENTS:

(1 Serving)

• 2 Eggs.

• 1 tbsp Coconut Flour.

• 0.5 cup (1dl) Extra Creamy Coconut Milk.

• A pinch of Salt.

• Seasoning of choice (I usually go for maybe half a tsp of ground vanilla pods...a little bit cardamom is nice too.)

(• Cinammon, extra Coconut Milk and Berries/Apple/Pear etc to serve with.)

HOW TO:

Put everything in a small pot and mix it well.

Run over low heat while stirring until preferred texture.

Put it in a bowl, pour some coconut milk over and dust it with cinnamon.

Top with eg. berries or some grated apple or pear.

That's it :)

// Peter

I'm making pumpkin muffins and they write about pumkin spice which include something called 'allspice'. What is that? (remember I'm Norwegian)

a short update

I've added dark chocolate and fatty dairy products to my diet. But continue to loose wait. I've lost 13kg since I started Paleo living in July.

Trine

Thanks, Peter, can't wait to try it.

Trine, allspice is a spice that you can buy either ground or whole.  I think it's a seed or berry or something.  So it's part of a spice blend you would use with pumpkin.  I think it's sometimes used in Jamaican cuisine too.  I've also been able to find a blend called "pumpkin pie spice" which I guess could take the place of all the other spices in your recipe.  Don't know if you'll find these things in Norway, though!

Glad you're feeling good, nice to see you posting, I've missed you  :)

I'm here on Day 41 and struggling.  I think what's thrown me off is that I didn't have time to cook this weekend so I'm feeling bored and unsatisfied by what I've been putting together.  (I can only do so much canned tuna!)  And I have a party this weekend and have given myself permission to have a drink there.  Even though I really wanted to lose a bit more before the event.  Oh well.  It's feeling hard to stay with it, but I'm trying.  I was thinking of allowing myself some milk in my coffee and tea as a treat.

So many decisions!

I'm making pumpkin muffins and they write about pumkin spice which include something called 'allspice'. What is that? (remember I'm Norwegian)

a short update

I've added dark chocolate and fatty dairy products to my diet. But continue to loose wait. I've lost 13kg since I started Paleo living in July.

Trine

Allspice is "kryddpeppar" in Swedish...does that make sense in Norwegian too?

Edit: A translator says it's called "Allehånde" in Norwegian(?).

You should absolutely be able to find it in Norway, it's commonly available in Sweden at least (and often used to season eg meatballs around Christmas, and gives "Kalops" it's destinct flavor).

I'm pretty sure t's a dried berry, but looks like peppercorns...

Edit2: 13kg's...that's impressive! Congratulations! :)

Lizzie:

You're absolutely right about the Jamaican Cuisine!

It's a crucial ingredient in Jamaican Jerk (and often they grill the jerk marinated meat over Allspice wood if I remember correctly).

to the women: (sorry peter..)

has u'r period changed? Mine is shorter, with fewer days in between and the pain is almost gone. Thought I was pregnant there yesterday because I couldn't remember when last time was! But I've had disabling pains since I was 12 so I FORGOT my last one! NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!! (the not having pain thing...) my body is definitely acclimatizing to my new cleaner living and that includes my hormones...

mmm, not much help, I'm afraid... with the allspice. I used 'stjerneanis' instead. (couldn't find it in English)

the brownies turned out great!

Don't know if the recipe called for whole or ground allspice, but here are to .no web shops that sell ground allspice:

http://cemo.no/krydder/allehande

http://www.altshop.no/874-allspice-ecological

Awesome the brownies turned out great despite! :)

Both allspice and star anise has strong, distinct flavors (but does not taste nearly the same).

As I understand it it's a common ingredient for "Sylte" around Christmas (together with nellik (cloves) and ingefær (ginger)).

If you're still interested in allspice that is (since you successfully tweeted the recipe) :)

Don't know if the recipe called for whole or ground allspice, but here are to .no web shops that sell ground allspice:

http://cemo.no/krydder/allehande

http://www.altshop.no/874-allspice-ecological

Awesome the brownies turned out great despite! :)

Both allspice and star anise has strong, distinct flavors (but does not taste nearly the same).

As I understand it it's a common ingredient for "Sylte" around Christmas (together with nellik (cloves) and ingefær (ginger)).

If you're still interested in allspice that is (since you successfully tweeted the recipe) :)

This was the recipe I found at Stupid Easy Paleo for the spice mix:

2 Tablespoons cinnamon

1 Tablespoon ground ginger

0.5 Tablespoon allspice

0.5 Tablespoon ground cloves

0.5 Tablespoon ground nutmeg

and here is the brownies: (because I don't tweet...) (cavegirlcuisine.com)

http://cavegirlcuisine.com/2012/11/12/pumpkin-brownies/

I'm taking them to the cabin with my parents. They're bound to have some 'kosemat'/cosy food and I want to teach them that mine is just as good if not better.

Oh, I learned something yesterday. I made a tiny bit of whipped cream and didn't add any sugar. But it still tasted sweet! So, the tastebuds are getting REAL detailed and awake.

Off to Sjusjøen (close to Lillehammer)

Have a nice weekend u'a'll

Trine

to the women: (sorry peter..)

has u'r period changed? Mine is shorter, with fewer days in between and the pain is almost gone. Thought I was pregnant there yesterday because I couldn't remember when last time was! But I've had disabling pains since I was 12 so I FORGOT my last one! NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!! (the not having pain thing...) my body is definitely acclimatizing to my new cleaner living and that includes my hormones...

Even though I can't relate, I can always congratulate you on your increased life quality thanks to actively striving for a better health!

Sounds like your choices are paying off, and I guess what you're describing is a great indicator of your hormone levels getting tuned and improved! :)

This was the recipe I found at Stupid Easy Paleo for the spice mix:

2 Tablespoons cinnamon

1 Tablespoon ground ginger

0.5 Tablespoon allspice

0.5 Tablespoon ground cloves

0.5 Tablespoon ground nutmeg

and here is the brownies: (because I don't tweet...) (cavegirlcuisine.com)

http://cavegirlcuisine.com/2012/11/12/pumpkin-brownies/

I'm taking them to the cabin with my parents. They're bound to have some 'kosemat'/cosy food and I want to teach them that mine is just as good if not better.

Oh, I learned something yesterday. I made a tiny bit of whipped cream and didn't add any sugar. But it still tasted sweet! So, the tastebuds are getting REAL detailed and awake.

Off to Sjusjøen (close to Lillehammer)

Have a nice weekend u'a'll

Trine

Cool! :)

(That recipe definitely calls for ground allspice.)

Have a great weekend Trine, awesome that you let your parents take part of your healthy choices too! :)

PS. The sweetness in the cream is the lactose. If you want to skip it it is possible to whip coconut cream (place the coconut milk container in the fridge for a few hours, to make the fat separate from the water. Then scoop out only the white fatty coconut cream that is layered on top and whip that.

Some brands work better than others (shake them in the store...if it feels like it's only liquid in the container it is less likely to work, but if the content seems "solid", or at least partially, the chances for success are much greater!) DS.

Sounds like you are doing really well Trine!!! That's amazing.

I'm in Toronto for the next 4 days. Paleo on the road. Let's see how this goes!!! I'm about to go to a breakfast buffet, so hopefully there will be more than just breakfast pastries and yogurt!!

Edit: I'm glad I checked in here. Reading your posts helps me stay on track.

Archived