starting August 12

EricaV

So how did everyone do today??? I've had success :-) Lots of veggies, lots of eggs, and chicken. I've snacked on some coconut milk, nut butter on fruit, and a few walnuts. My caloric needs are pretty high as I'm nursing my daughter, but I feel satisfied now. When I tried the W30 before I woke on the second day with major shakes and feeling sick. I'm hoping tomorrow goes a bit better!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a day ahead of you all, here in New Zealand ;)

I am doing well sofar....feeling good.

I am not overweight but fully understand the cravings, I have those too..

.I am having an active day, went for a run this morning, work on my feet, will do a big workout tonight and I would often have used that as an excuse to snack on unhealthy foods.

Now however I am taking the advice to eat bigger meals, especially at lunch time with good protein and fat and will have just a pre- WO natural beef jerky snack and my dinner after wards, making sure it has some carbs in shape of pumpkin with it.

thank you all for your good ideas and advice,

Hi everyone

My first day went very smooth. Even did a small workout in the evening. 

However, woke up today (in Oslo) with my eczema on fire! My neck, inside my hands and fingers. I'm born with it but was hoping the whole30 would make it less volatile. I've read somewhere that when u eat clean the things that are bad in your body start to come out (run away...?!). Does anyone have any thoughts on allergies and eczema with the whole30?

Thanks Erica for starting this forum group.

Trina

Hi everyone

My first day went very smooth. Even did a small workout in the evening.

However, woke up today (in Oslo) with my eczema on fire! My neck, inside my hands and fingers. I'm born with it but was hoping the whole30 would make it less volatile. I've read somewhere that when u eat clean the things that are bad in your body start to come out (run away...?!). Does anyone have any thoughts on allergies and eczema with the whole30?

Thanks Erica for starting this forum group.

Trina

Trina, I think you definitely go through a period of "detox" and many things will get worse before they get better! It may take longer than 30 days, even! Do stick with it though!!

Trina, I think you definitely go through a period of "detox" and many things will get worse before they get better! It may take longer than 30 days, even! Do stick with it though!!

Thanks, I thought as much. My bowl movement is amazing!! hehe That's why I've started a Whole49 (last day 29. September 2013).

I will stick with it because I know that the tiredness and eczema are part of my autoimmune problems. 

Trina, I am sure it takes longer than a day or so for your body to change and it will still be reacting to whatever was in your diet in the previous weeks. When dieticians advice people to cut out certain foods to see how they react they usually need to do so for several weeks (any dieticians with advice here?)

have you read Dianne Sanfillippo's book Practical Paleo? she has some specific ideas for different conditions like any auto- immune conditions. Worth reading, also for the great recipes.

good luck, don't give up!

Hello

I started Whole45 yesterday and my husband joined me as well. It's my second time doing Whole30, the first time I did it in June-July this year and loved how I felt, but went on vacation right after it and got off track easily and now 1 month later finally getting back on track. For my husband it's going to be the first time doing paleo/whole30, he wants to support me this time and see how it works out for him.

I also joined Crossfit in my area yesterday and hoping that those 2 together will work the best for my body and my mind.

--Rita

Hey everyone!  Great day yesterday...boiled eggs with a little homemade mayo and broccoli on the side for breakfast, chicken salad (boiled chicken with homemade mayo and homemade blackening seasoning) with broccoli and strawberries for lunch, and steak, peppers, and onions sauteed in ghee for dinner.  I felt full and satisfied all day.

We made it through with our food okay. I experimented with making meatballs and they were awful! LOL They were only saved by marinara (going to have them for lunch now). I did get very nauseous after 1P yesterday, though.

Right now I feel...good! After reading the Lifeline 2.0 article here, I expected the hangover. We were eating pretty clean before, just my soda and occasional cheese and bread. Nine year old said she has had a headache since lunch yesterday (where she ate the last of the bread and some pretzels). I am thinking it is more hormone related with her and I'm hoping they will even out now that the sweets are gone (she has a wicked sweet tooth). Our five year old should be able to transition more easily, as he loves meat, had a dairy intolerance (so he has been eating only small amounts occasionally, and never ice cream or milk), and he thinks the new foods are fun (things on sticks and in lettuce cups, cool! LOL).

Adam did a workout yesterday. I'm doing one today. I've had one small craving for my soda, but it was easily overcome. Here's to sticking to it!

My husband and I started our second Whole 30 yesterday.

In my first Whole 30 (February 2013) I learned a lot about myself, but what has been most telling is the months between Whole 30s.

I've discovered that dairy gives me terrible sinus trouble.

I've learned that I draw an unhealthy satisfaction from food. Before I trying Paleo/Primal, I LOVED to cook and bake (I'm gluten intolerant, so the baking was all GF). After Whole 30, I felt like I didn't know what to do with myself. I wasn't baking. I wasn't constantly combing the internet and my cookbooks for new recipes and I felt...empty. To fill the emptiness, I began to bake again and the inflamation returned and ...well...you know the rest. I'm here again, and happy about it. I think this time, I need to find something that fulfills me and will sustain me.

More than anything, though, I have noticed that I probably drink more than I should. I would never call myself an alcoholic, or anything close to it, but it's something I want to explore during this Whole 30.

For those of you that haven't done this before, it is a great way to learn more about yourself--if that's something you want to do.

I started yesterday (August 12) too!  I'd love some companionship on this journey to cope with the inevitable challenges.  Just finished my lunch--salmon, sauteed kale, arugula salad with lemon juice and olive oil, celery, cucumber, and sprouted sunflower seeds--and so far, so good!  I have found the most difficult thing so far to be the amount of time I've had to spend thinking about food.  I've scoured the internet, downloaded shopping lists, combed through blogs and success stories (highly motivating!) but I have mixed feelings about this taking over my life.  

I haven't had trouble avoiding booze so far (hah, it's only day 2) but do anticipate having a really difficult time at parties with my friends.  Anyone else worried about this?  My boyfriend isn't doing this with me, and he exists on a steady diet of Pepsi, ice cream, and beer (and is skinny; hate him), and I'm also worried about coping with him eating Phish Food ice cream in front of me.  

Hooray for us!

I started yesterday (August 12) too!  I'd love some companionship on this journey to cope with the inevitable challenges.  Just finished my lunch--salmon, sauteed kale, arugula salad with lemon juice and olive oil, celery, cucumber, and sprouted sunflower seeds--and so far, so good!  I have found the most difficult thing so far to be the amount of time I've had to spend thinking about food.  I've scoured the internet, downloaded shopping lists, combed through blogs and success stories (highly motivating!) but I have mixed feelings about this taking over my life.  

I haven't had trouble avoiding booze so far (hah, it's only day 2) but do anticipate having a really difficult time at parties with my friends.  Anyone else worried about this?  My boyfriend isn't doing this with me, and he exists on a steady diet of Pepsi, ice cream, and beer (and is skinny; hate him), and I'm also worried about coping with him eating Phish Food ice cream in front of me.  

Hooray for us!

My husband isn't doing this with me either; however, he did eat the dinner I made last night without pouring on hot sauce or bbq sauce.  I too am very concerned about avoiding alcohol in social settings.  I can't avoid social settings all together.  

My husband isn't doing this with me either; however, he did eat the dinner I made last night without pouring on hot sauce or bbq sauce.  I too am very concerned about avoiding alcohol in social settings.  I can't avoid social settings all together.  

I wonder if the key to the whole alcohol thing is to look at the positive side of NOT drinking. For me:

• I won't wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat (happens every time I drink wine)
  • I won't have a headache the next day
  • I can drink a fizzy water with lemon and no one will know the difference--and I actually like it
  • I can people watch with a clear head
  • I can know that I'm not harming my body (This should be enough motivation in itself, but I'm not sure it is....)

Anyone else? What is the positive side of NOT drinking for you?

I am also doing the whole30 (whole49 :) while not my partner. But when I introduced sweet potato (the white one) he liked it and then i snuck in the orange one too the mission was completed. Because dinner is the one meal where we eat together during weekdays :)

About alcohol, I use sparkling water with lime or other sweet tasting fruit with juice in it. It looks festive and tastes wonderful.

I am finishing off my second day now. Ive had PMS pains for three days now! Figure that was the best day to start the program. Can I get through the first week this way the rest will be peace of c...

My late snack this week is self picked blueberries with a couple of spoonfulls of coconut milk.

Good luck to you who still have some hours left of Day 2.

Trina

Norway

I wonder if the key to the whole alcohol thing is to look at the positive side of NOT drinking. For me:

• I won't wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat (happens every time I drink wine)
  • I can drink a fizzy water with lemon and no one will know the difference--and I actually like it
  • I can know that I'm not harming my body (This should be enough motivation in itself, but I'm not sure it is....)

Less depression

No digestive issues (hopefully)

No urge to smoke

hey Trina, re your auto- immune issues- are you doing the auto- immune Whole 30? not sure if you have the It Starts with Food book and I am no expert but this may be worth considering at some stage?

I am totally with you on the middle of the night sweat. I also can't fall asleep after the initial 2-3 hours and waking up in the middle of the night. Last month we had some wine pretty much every night and I am so sleep deprived.

Another one for me - no puffy eyes in the morning if I don't drink. 

Doing really well today. Went and picked Blackberries this morning and bought a box of fresh apples. We are eating a bit more fruit than we probably should be but it seems to be an easier snack for my husband to take with. He is really missing milk and sugar in his morning coffee. Everything else he says he doesnt mind to much. He feels worse than I do and the kiddos don't seem to be affected at all! A bit pickier on the fruit and veggies but that is normal so I just give them more choices.

Saw in a previous post homemade mayo? Any good references for a recipe?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Cristy

hey Trina, re your auto- immune issues- are you doing the auto- immune Whole 30? not sure if you have the It Starts with Food book and I am no expert but this may be worth considering at some stage?

I ve never been diagnosed with auto-immune problems by any doctor. However, since I ve been on allergy and eczema medication since I was born Ive deducted it to be a fact about myself. Yes, I have It starts with Food. And I have thought of doing the auto immune version. This round of Whole30 is kind of my easing in to it. I am planning another Whole30 during December (Norwegian holiday food is lots of clean food :-)

More than anything, though, I have noticed that I probably drink more than I should. I would never call myself an alcoholic, or anything close to it, but it's something I want to explore during this Whole 30.

For those of you that haven't done this before, it is a great way to learn more about yourself--if that's something you want to do.

Kelliem, that's also been my prime motivator in starting this journey.  I'm not an alcoholic, but troubled by how much wine I can drink, even on a weeknight.  I think that for some people, alcohol problems can just creep up slowly, and I don't want to have to stop drinking entirely for the rest of my life.  I am hoping that a break from alcohol will help me reevaluate my relationship with it, and also help me get some clarity in my life.  

Anyone have good tips for coping with social pressure? Having done strict paleo off and on, I've found that it's not my cravings that are my downfall, it's the pressure from coworkers, parents, friends, my boyfriend, etc. etc. If I'm going to make it through, I know I'll have to have a great strategy for coping with these folks!

I also worry about this and would love some tips!  Last January, I did the Elimination Diet (no red meat, pork, gluten, sugar, coffee, alcohol, dairy, nightshade vegetables, corn, potatoes, you get the gist) and I still managed to go out and have fun without going off-plan.  I think the key for me was being veeery careful about who I told about my "Jan Plan" as I called it.  My best friend did it with me, and she was a great source of support, especially on the no-wine front.  I told very few other people about it, and they didn't really notice.  I went out one night with my best guy friend (who is super supportive) and he got me clubs sodas with lime all night long.  No one else we were with knew I wasn't drinking, which was awesome.  They got drunker, and thought I was drunk too, but really I just thought everyone was being hilarious.  

I don't know if this is relevant to anyone else, but thought I'd (over)share.  I hope I can do the same thing this month.  I felt great after a month of no booze, and REALLY enjoyed never feeling hungover.  I got so much done on the weekends!  

I too started my first Whole30 on the 12th of Aug, after summer holidays, and after educating myself and reading as much as I could in these last few weeks.  However, I am so glad that this forum is here and that the recipes and blogs are online, as I have found myself with more and more questions actually "doing" the program, not just reading about it.  Putting it into action is a challenge, as I am the only one in my family of 4 doing it, and I'm celiac so have already been GF for >5 years.  Thanks for the forum, and the place to turn for support and meal/food ideas!!

Amy4health

Day two done! I ate lots and feel satisfied for now. No carb headache or blood sugar plunges as I think I'm figuring out my portions and fat needs better this attempt :-) My baby seems to be getting more than enough milk so I know my body is loving this! How are people doing for carb hang overs????

For a great homemade mayo check out the blog "the clothes make the girl". :-)

Archived