starting August 12

EricaV

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think today was a hitting the wall day for me. Up to now (we started on sunday) I have been ok, but today I am just craving sugar and dairy! Especially right now after dinner just went to look in the fridge and realized I was looking for something sweet so I got on here instead :) Luckily my fridge and pantry got cleaned out so I couldn't cheat even if I wanted too!

How is everyone else's Thursday going? Nervous about tommorow cooking for my neices and then a graduation party. Going to make sure I eat before I go that way if I have trouble finding something to eat I won't be starving at least :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Cristy

Day four rocked :-) I went to the mall to pick up a new swimsuit, and I gotta say the mall is my trigger to eat. After I paid I knew I was craving to eat, but I turned around and left. I felt so proud in that moment! I'm feeling so sluggish and tired right now. How is everyone feeling physically?

My husband was the one with the sweet craving yesterday, but he got through it by eating a peach. We're both suffering with headaches (though mine isn't bad this morning) and feeling tired. Having done this before I know there is an end to it. Friday night is usually our night to open a bottle of wine and have a dinner of nibbly things. The fridge is rather bare so I'll have to give some thought to something equally yummy.

It's good to hear that everyone is getting on okay. Happy Friday.....

Hi everyone

I'm on day four. And I've already had my first rage fit before breakfast. :angry:  Met a friend for coffee (black ;-) at a coffeeshop before work and eased some steam. 

I tried making mayo yesterday and the whole thing worked fine... until I tasted it. Think my olive oil might be a bit off. Does anyone have a suggestion to what other oil I could use for mayo?

As I talked about with my friend, my body is sluggish, my mind is sharp and I have some short circuit problems between those two. Lucky for me a lot of people are offshore at work so I'm basically alone at work!  :)

Also, I'm feeling a bit dizzy today and my eczema is red and oozing...  

Blæ!!!

The time is 08:21 in the morning. I'll check in again at 10:00. Maybe the mood has improved.

One ray of sun; I've no problems with how I eat  B)

Trina

Trina, 

I used olive oil light in my mayo and I added a little bit extra mustard seed.  I played with it until it tasted the way I wanted it to. 

Hope you are feeling better.

Day 5 and I feel pretty good.  I haven't had any headaches or feelings of sickness so I went back and looked again at everything just to make sure I was doing it correctly.  I have come to the conclusion that I am not suffering from a headache because I haven't had any caffeine (other than what's in chocolate) in about 12 years so I am not having caffeine withdrawals from soda.  However, I did work out last night and didn't feel like I had much energy.  I felt blah and couldn't do what I am normally able to do.  I wonder if this was just from being overly tired, stressed or something to do with the Whole 30.  Anyone else experiencing that???

MEH.

Feeling a bit out of it/groggy/low energy this evening of Day 3.  I want to eat even though I'm not hungry... no cravings to speak of, just want to snack.  But I'm not going to!  Going to have some tea and read a book and go to bed early.  

Hang in there @kelliem!

I'm a little worried I'm eating too much--I had the most ENORMO (grass fed) pork chop tonight, along with some sauteed kale and some sauteed peppers and onions.  I am not used to eating this much meat and it feels weird.  Feels weird to be eating this much protein in general.  Does anyone else have that reaction?

Good night!

I felt this way on day four.  I felt like I was eating out of boredom.  I know that's not really smart even if it is a healthy choice.  I have tried to find things to keep myself a little busier and have put my lunch in my office in a place that I can't see so I don't look at it and think about eating just because it is sitting there.  

I too have felt like I don't have quite as much energy.  I am hoping that will change in a week or so.  Still waiting for that "magic" to happen. 

I think today was a hitting the wall day for me. Up to now (we started on sunday) I have been ok, but today I am just craving sugar and dairy! Especially right now after dinner just went to look in the fridge and realized I was looking for something sweet so I got on here instead :) Luckily my fridge and pantry got cleaned out so I couldn't cheat even if I wanted too!

How is everyone else's Thursday going? Nervous about tommorow cooking for my neices and then a graduation party. Going to make sure I eat before I go that way if I have trouble finding something to eat I won't be starving at least :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Cristy

I can totally empathize on the dairy craving.  I would love a big glass of milk!!

How is everyone doing on this lovely Day 5?  I had my first bizarre food dreams last night and, oddly, woke up feeling super guilty.  Also used coconut milk in my coffee today for the first time and found it delicious.  

For some reason my hunger has taken on new levels--it has become, Eat All the Food.  Other than that, I'm feeling terrific and excited for things to come.  

Made ghee last night: oh my god!  Makes the house smell wonderful and tastes delicious.  Has anyone tried this?  

I have also been struggling with the looking-in-the-fridge-after-dinner phenomenon.  I am so used to eating something sweet at the end of the meal, and snacking in the evening.  Hard habit to break.  Tea helps.  So does brushing my teeth after dinner, strangely enough.

Have a great weekend everyone!

We're still here! Adam and I need to get more sleep at night in order to feel the positive effects. Our daughter is having big-time sugar withdrawals and I almost broke down yesterday because the poor girl felt so bad. I had the pitas and almond butter out and she said no thanks, I don't like that. I just really want chocolate cake! So I held her while she grieved it (I don't know why that exactly, as we have it twice a year for the kiddos' birthdays). She had carb flu badly yesterday and was so upset over what she "couldn't" have and her classmates could. We talked last night about how she will feel much more alert and energetic than her friends, how far she had come already, and that I am not going to be mad and she should not feel guilty if she eats the Oreo her friend offers at lunch. Just pay attention to how her body feels after (and she doesn't have to report it to me, because she always says she feels fine or great after eating junk). Her pain over this has been the hardest part for me. Our little guy is craving the local Mexican restaurant, but is being patient. Both kids loved dinner last night (steak, asparagus with garlic, and apples fried in coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon), so that helped their attitudes and outlook immensely.

I am still craving fountain Cokes, especially when I'm in the car. I have water nearby at all times and have actually enjoyed the coffee with a bit of coconut milk or black, but that icy, bubbly goodness still haunts me. lol And I'm already feeling over the constant thoughts of food - what are the kids' snack for today, what for breakfast, what can I pack in their lunches, is there enough of dinner for me to have for lunch or do I have to cook something else?

I can say we're eating very well! Adam and I both enjoy the food (avocado deviled eggs were ridiculously good!). The kids are on board 75% of the time and the rest they eat it anyway (this is huge!).

Today was the first day I have felt like exercising again (I feel like I've slept for 4 days) and walked nearly 3 miles with a friend. Whoop!

Hope everyone has a great day 5!

Andrea

Day 5 - is everyone ready for the weekend? Most difficult is facing Friday night without the usual wine and cheese and nibbles (pretty sure a few others have mentioned this as well) Otherwise, making good food choices has been relatively easy. Still feeling sluggish/lethargic/quite cranky and I feel like I'm more hungry than normal (perhaps this goes away after awhile)

Off to figure out how to make my Friday night/weekend "special" without wine and cheese :) Good luck everyone!

I have got my energy back. As in since 1997! I had a jog around a park nearby and did the whole thing without stopping. NEVER done that before.

So I hope that all of you feeling lethargic will follow me. The carrot is just around the corner :)

Trina, that's awesome! I wanted to nap after my walk today. lol

I didn't listen to my stomach until it was screaming at me for lunch, but I made a hash with ground beef and sweet potatoes; cumin, chili powder, oregano, parsley, and salt. Then Adam fried some eggs and we put that on top. It was good! I added my hot sauce(I seriously don't know what I would do without Frank) and it was like my favorite comfort food. And I hate sweet potatoes! lol

@kelliem those meatballs look amazing, please let me know how they come out! I haven't done much creative cooking during these first few days, but I'm sure having some recipes like that on hand will help with any eventual food boredom

@trina - congrats! I certainly hope energy will find me as well :)

hey Trina, I am doing well!

it's Saturday morning here now and I am pleased that I made it through Friday night- hubby and I went out to a local play (wine and nibbles sort of thing) but I made sure I had a good dinner- salmon, loads of salad veges with coconut milk dressing, some fruit and stuck with my water that night! even managed to keep the fridge closed when we came back  at 11.

I am finding my energy good- workouts are going well, though I am being kind to myself and not pushing it too hard.

We had some earthquakes around here yesterday which gave us all a bit of a scare, nothing too serious locally but it's so easy to look for some comfort when you are scared (shaking enough to dive under your desk material)...didn't though.

I probably find the after dinner time the hardest- having herbal tea is good and distraction. I don't miss the actual late night drink with nuts that my hubby likes, as I know the alcohol makes me feel bad later at night and disturbs my sleep, can't say I mind that at all- it helps I already stopped alcohol all together a while ago.

have a good, healthy weekend everyone. I like having time for food prep in weekends, nice ;)

Hello all!

I also started on Aug. 12  I had wanted to start sooner, and even started a log, but then decided to pick last Monday because my roommate left the Saturday before on a 3 week long business trip (might be 4 weeks), and I spent the weekend purging the kitchen of any tempting stuff, shopping, and planning.

I'm a nurse, so I'm finding that I have to do at least two cook-ups during the week, because I'm packing a lot of food to take with me during my 12+ hour shifts.  I pack breakfast, and literally two lunches, though I don't always have time to eat them.  The hunger hasn't been too bad yet, more the fatigue.  And yes, I'm packing snacks.  I literally don't get 30 minutes to sit and eat, and because you never know what is going to happen during your shift, I have to have something quick to grab.  Beforehand, I would be so hungry when I got home, I would hoover the kitchen.  Snacks may not be the ideal on Whole 30, but my alternative is most likely eating something 'bad' out of desperation.  Of course, I'm packing compliant snacks, but they do not always fit the template.  I'm not beating myself up over it.  

Today was the first day I think I felt any adverse effects...I had a terrible headache that lasted most of the day, and just a few sniffles/stuffed up nose.  Headaches are very unusual for me.  I was able to get out and play some tennis today (I was off from work) and made a very good dinner!  I am also used to eating something sweet after dinner, and I'm kind of surprised that I haven't struggled more with this (so far!).  So now the headache is gone, and I'm just relaxing tonight.  

I have both It Starts with Food and Well Fed.  I picked some veggie recipes from Well Fed to make this week, and they turned out great.  I also made the mayo, with much success!  I will be making batch two tomorrow.  

I also made and printed out a calendar that I mark off each day...I look forward to putting the 'X' on there each day!

I've told my closest friend about this, and he is very supportive.  We eat out a lot, but he is also very health conscious, so we will probably limit any eating out, or we will be sure to go someplace where I can order something compliant.  

Looking forward to being a part of this thread!  We can do this!!!

Day 5 and I feel pretty good.  I haven't had any headaches or feelings of sickness so I went back and looked again at everything just to make sure I was doing it correctly.  I have come to the conclusion that I am not suffering from a headache because I haven't had any caffeine (other than what's in chocolate) in about 12 years so I am not having caffeine withdrawals from soda.  However, I did work out last night and didn't feel like I had much energy.  I felt blah and couldn't do what I am normally able to do.  I wonder if this was just from being overly tired, stressed or something to do with the Whole 30.  Anyone else experiencing that???

I'm totally unstressed and sleeping well, BUT feeling extra blah and sluggish. I chalk it up to the Whole30 detox! I too have no headache, but I did on my first attempt a few weeks ago.

Yay! I feel like I made a huge milestone today. Went to a party with friends and there was only 2 things that I could eat, so I just waited until I got home. Luckily I had my kids and my sisters so they kept me pretty busy  :) not sure if I could have eaten if I had wanted too. 

I am noticing that I don't feel as hungry between meals. When I do snack I think it is because of habit or boredom.

My husband and I are still fighting a bit of a cold and he is having trouble with not having anything but water and unsweetened tea to drink. Any other ideas? He usually drinks Mtn Dew, milk, ice tea basically anything other than water.

Going to try making Kombucha next week with some friends. Can't wait!

Have a good weekend everyone

Cristy

Archived