starting August 12

EricaV

Cristy, I think a nice glass of Perrier with some fruit in it (maybe some raspberries) would fix your husband up. I love it with lemon.

Today I'm meeting a friend for brunch at a restaurant I don't frequent. Being gluten intolerant, I eat at places where I know the staff and trust them. I looked at the menu online and everything either comes with bread or is wrapped in it and I'm FREAKING OUT over flying bread crumbs in the kitchen. As if this wasn't bad enough there is nothing on the menu that is Whole 30 compliant. We're going there because her partner owns the restaurant. It is a place where they actually cook and don't just grab stuff from the freezer to reheat so I'm sure they will help me out with the food, but the breadcrumbs......could make me violently ill. Whatever.

The meatballs were awesome. We had them in lettuce leaves with carrot and broccoli slaw and some peanut free coconut peanut sauce. I would definitely eat this post-Whole 30.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 and I feel pretty good. I haven't had any headaches or feelings of sickness so I went back and looked again at everything just to make sure I was doing it correctly. I have come to the conclusion that I am not suffering from a headache because I haven't had any caffeine (other than what's in chocolate) in about 12 years so I am not having caffeine withdrawals from soda. However, I did work out last night and didn't feel like I had much energy. I felt blah and couldn't do what I am normally able to do. I wonder if this was just from being overly tired, stressed or something to do with the Whole 30. Anyone else experiencing that???

The email from Whole9 this morning addressed this! It basically said be nice to yourself and sleep whenever you can. It also gave tips on how to get good sleep, so Adam and I will be following that. I'm still a bit fuzzy-headed, but I woke up this morning (after only 5.5 hours of sleep) and was AWAKE. I rarely wake up and feel -I hope I don't curse myself here- refreshed. I'm hoping this trend continues!

When Adam got up this morning after the kids, he checked on what our 9-year-old was doing in the kitchen. She was attempting to cook some asparagus in the microwave on a paper plate. I know not everyone will think so, but I found this incredibly adorable. She wanted to make breakfast for her and her brother. :) They didn't like the sweet potato hash I made, but did eat their eggs and I made the asparagus for them, too. :)

Planning meals for next week, and I am loving the variety of foods we are eating. Adam is eating fish again, even willing to do shrimp, as we found the kids like it. We had only beef, venison, and chicken (occasionally turkey) in our diet before and it had gotten boring. My favorite sides right now are the cauliflower rice/couscous and cabbage. It may not be wholly in the spirit of Whole30, but these replace my starches from meals before and I feel satisfied, not bloated!

On another note, anyone else feeling HOT?? I suppose its our metabolism kicking into high gear, but about 15 minutes after we eat, Adam and I get a hot flash. Also, we're sweating a lot more while exercising (sorry if TMI).

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm ready to celebrate our one week mark!

Cristy, I've been replacing my sodas with lemon-lime sparkling water with added lemon juice. Pouring it into the glass and mixing helps bring the carbonation closer to a fountain drink. Right out of the can or bottle its too bubbly.

Kelliem, the meatballs sound good! As far as the restaurant, can you eat beforehand and request something small without the bread? That way you are checking out the restaurant without endangering your gut! Good luck today, that sounds like a tough situation!

The email from Whole9 this morning addressed this! It basically said be nice to yourself and sleep whenever you can. It also gave tips on how to get good sleep, so Adam and I will be following that. I'm still a bit fuzzy-headed, but I woke up this morning (after only 5.5 hours of sleep) and was AWAKE. I rarely wake up and feel -I hope I don't curse myself here- refreshed. I'm hoping this trend continues!

When Adam got up this morning after the kids, he checked on what our 9-year-old was doing in the kitchen. She was attempting to cook some asparagus in the microwave on a paper plate. I know not everyone will think so, but I found this incredibly adorable. She wanted to make breakfast for her and her brother. :) They didn't like the sweet potato hash I made, but did eat their eggs and I made the asparagus for them, too. :)

Planning meals for next week, and I am loving the variety of foods we are eating. Adam is eating fish again, even willing to do shrimp, as we found the kids like it. We had only beef, venison, and chicken (occasionally turkey) in our diet before and it had gotten boring. My favorite sides right now are the cauliflower rice/couscous and cabbage. It may not be wholly in the spirit of Whole30, but these replace my starches from meals before and I feel satisfied, not bloated!

On another note, anyone else feeling HOT?? I suppose its our metabolism kicking into high gear, but about 15 minutes after we eat, Adam and I get a hot flash. Also, we're sweating a lot more while exercising (sorry if TMI).

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm ready to celebrate our one week mark!

YES, my body is overheating. I keep opening windows and my hubby keep closing them. It used to be the other way around :)

We hiked in the hills behind Oslo today. 11km. Beautiful weather, amazing colors and nice and exhausted feeling right now.

Have a nice weekend.

Trina

I woke up with no headache today, yay!  But I did sleep a solid 10 hours!  I am not signed up for the Whole30 emails, so I'm glad to hear they are encouraging sleep when we are tired.  Energy actually feels pretty good today, but I just finished some black coffee/coconut milk, so it could be that, too!   ;)

I have experimented with water with citrus slices (lemon, orange, lime) for drinking.  A few times I've added a whole lemon (cut up into fourths) into my water bottle and just kept refilling that with water throughout the day.

Today, at our local health food store, I found Hansen natural sparking water...unsweetened.  Its basically seltzer with fruit.  It was on sale though, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Sadly, it looks like the heath food store is going out of business, their shelves were practically bare.  The did have aminos, though I didn't buy any.  Its not something I feel I need.  

About to start a cook-up, the working the next two days!

Edited to add:  I can't believe I forgot this!  I had my first food dream...and it was...ramen noodles!  Totally bizarre as that is not something I usually eat or crave!  I was expecting sugar dreams, but I suppose those will still come!

I have celiac disease as well, but only diagnosed on May 29th. I'm hoping this challenge will help heal my gut! I'm contemplating the autoimmune challenge after I succeed with the Whole30. What about you?

Probably not the autoimmune challenge, but am considering remaining grain free.  It really seems to have reduced that tummy bloat in only a couple of days, impressive!  Not sure it is related to any AI issues, or just in general with moving to fat burning not sugars. 

Saturday evening and soon off to bed.

For light evening snack I´ve eaten self picked blueberries or rasperries this week. However, today I´ve done something special as it is Saturday and my hubby has had icecream, red wine and (my favorite) coca cola in a class bottle.

i made rasperrie pancakes:

2 eggs

1 banana

handful rasperries

a dinnerspoon with coconut shavings

put the rasperries on the stove on slow heat in a cassarole while u

mash the banana and mix with the eggs. Then have the eggmix on in a pan (small servings) so that u have four pancakes at the end

pour the heated rasperries over the pancakes and then sprincle it with coconut. Herb tea with :)

Had a good prep day!

Prepared grass fed ground beef, then made a frittata with that and veggies to take for breakfast the next two days (with fruit).  Made another batch of mayo.  Cut up green bell pepper, and made zoodles out of four zucchini.  Combined some cabbage, shredded carrots, onions, green pepper with mayo and seasoning for cole slaw, which I will pack for lunch next two days.  I tried some out with applegate roast beef chopped on top, and it was yummy!  I've made my mayo without the dry mustard, since it would require a trip to another grocery store (I do all my shopping mostly at Trader Joe's), and just add other spices and it seems to work well.  Also washed all my fruits and other veggies.  I let them all soak in the sink in water combined with a cup of apple cider vinegar for a while, then rinse them off.  Went for a run, and soon it will be dinner time.  Though, it is odd for me to work out/run and not want to eat right away.  

I was thinking, as I was doing all my food prep, that this is a lot of work for just one person right now...my hat is off to those of you cooking for two or a whole family!

Had a good prep day!

Prepared grass fed ground beef, then made a frittata with that and veggies to take for breakfast the next two days (with fruit).  Made another batch of mayo.  Cut up green bell pepper, and made zoodles out of four zucchini.  Combined some cabbage, shredded carrots, onions, green pepper with mayo and seasoning for cole slaw, which I will pack for lunch next two days.  I tried some out with applegate roast beef chopped on top, and it was yummy!  I've made my mayo without the dry mustard, since it would require a trip to another grocery store (I do all my shopping mostly at Trader Joe's), and just add other spices and it seems to work well.  Also washed all my fruits and other veggies.  I let them all soak in the sink in water combined with a cup of apple cider vinegar for a while, then rinse them off.  Went for a run, and soon it will be dinner time.  Though, it is odd for me to work out/run and not want to eat right away.  

I was thinking, as I was doing all my food prep, that this is a lot of work for just one person right now...my hat is off to those of you cooking for two or a whole family!

Day six is finished, yay!!!

Topaz, what's the rationale for the water and apple cider soak??

Just to clean all the fruit at once, without having to scrub individually.  I saw it somewhere online...it supposedly also helps fruit last longer, and I do think my strawberries stay in shape longer when I do this.  

Trina, that dessert sounds wonderful! We've made desserts for the kids so they don't feel like they're missing out on so much. We've done apples fried in coconut oil with a sprinkle of cinnamon, bananas done the same with toasted coconut on top, and Adam made some amazing blueberries heated in a pan of coconut milk with cinnamon and nutmeg. I try not to eat them (generally not a dessert fan), but the blueberries were so good!

Great going, Topaz! I will look into the Applegate meats, they seem like a good, quick option. I've made a lime-cilantro coleslaw that goes with almost everything, I think it was in our Caveman app. Adam has taken to eating sardines at lunch with his veggies - I'm working over my ick factor with that. lol But anything that lessens the dishes and kitchen cleanups I have to do each day would be appreciated. I plan on having a cooking/laundry day tomorrow when the kiddos head to school so I can hopefully decrease the amount of dishes each day, too.

Still not going to bed when I'm supposed to. Not that I'm not tired, just working out my feelings of needing a reward at the end of the day. I am waking up MUCH easier, though. I also noticed my color in my face looks better.

Yay to day 7!

Andrea

I´ve been visiting today with my family. For lunch we stopped at a cafe that is known for its Clean food and less-travelled food. They had a wonderful herb and lime soup that I ordered. And it turned out to be a creamy soup. So I got some of my mums smoked salmon with salad and she had my soup :)

For dinner there were leftover veggies from yesterday, mango salad and chicken. Yummy.

Not exercing today even though I want to. Have had three days of very varied and hard exercise for someone with my ´issues´ so rest and early bed for me.

Today has been the harders for me concerning my cravings. It was pouring down earlier today and now the weather is bright and the air clean. So I want to go out and have a beer and smoke in the sun!!! Stopped smoking two weeks ago and the need is kicking IN... :o

Trine

My brunch ended up being fine the other day. I had a deconstructed chicken club wrap-minus the bacon and a salad with red wine vinaigrette. Awesome, and I feel fine today. Whew!

Today was the big cook-up day:

-mayo

-roasted vegetable chilli

-scotch eggs (and yummm!)

-veggie frittata

-Italian sausage meat (1lb for the scotch eggs and 1lb for the freezer)

-breakfast sausage loaf (it's easier to cook in a loaf pan than to cook patties)

-chopped veggies for salads

-hard boiled eggs for emergency protein

I was very tired yesterday and ended up in bed at 8:30. Today I have lots more energy. Not really missing anything today, but yesterday I was craving everything.

Week one is over and we're 25% of the way there! It's easier knowing someone else is out there doing it too. Have a great week 2!!

day 8- had an awesome first week but today, suddenly, cravings......damn. felt so good all week for not craving anything but today at work I could have gone for the morning teas shout, especially as the cake was gluten free- low sugar...at the end of the day very hungry and shaky and no dinner prepared by hubby....(his turn)- went for avocado, 2 eggs, coconut and some nuts and feeling bit better now, at least I didn't go for the chocolate but the need for sweet was v strong....;(

Hi Erica

I'm on the craving roller coaster too! It manifests as 'if I can't have what I crave I won't eat anything'-tantrum in my mind. Had to make myself eat this morning. Luckily my mum had grilled some salmon that I got to take with me yesterday. we have an explosion of pollen today after a wet-hot weekend. And my body is consequently out of order. So, no elevated euphoric feeling of accomplishment... but hanging in there. Find that isolating me from social settings when I'm in this mood is the best alternative. For all parties :)

Hopefully the pollen will dry out by next weekend.

I'd always thought I "couldn't" eat vegetables at breakfast. This W30 has taught me that I can AND enjoy it. This W30 has also taught me that I love Brussels sprouts (I tried them last when I was 5. I'm 46 now. You'd think I might have tested that before now.)

Hello all, I'm Lizzie.  I've been "lurking" this thread since i started (I'm day 6), and finding it really helpful, so I hope you don't mind me joining in.  It's great to read what you've all been experiencing, even if you're a few days ahead of me.  I got very concerned yesterday that I was in a craving/grazing pattern even though I stayed with W30 foods (fruit, a handful of macadamia nuts, olives).  It hard to break those habits, especially on a grey day when I was trying not to spend any money so couldn't indulge in my favorite escape, going to the movies.  (Although I'm even nervous about that and the popcorn temptation!) I did cook a bunch though, including a chili that I over spiced.  Normally I'd add some potato or rice but obviously couldn't do that this time.  Added some sweet potato which helped a bit.  I am feeling better although my system is still overactive and I'm incredibly thirsty all the time.

Anyway, I hope it's OK to join this thread.  I've been really enjoying reading it and seeing how you all are supporting each other.

Lizzie

I'd always thought I "couldn't" eat vegetables at breakfast. This W30 has taught me that I can AND enjoy it. This W30 has also taught me that I love Brussels sprouts (I tried them last when I was 5. I'm 46 now. You'd think I might have tested that before now.)

I had a similar experience, a few years ago I returned to brussel sprouts.  Before, I had always had them boiled and just about gagged at the smell.  Couldn't even think of putting into my mouth.  However, I am a total convert to all veggies roasted, rubbed with olive oil and salted, and just roasted until done.  They reheat easily and retain great flavor and texture.  Mmmm. I love all of the root veggies done this way, mix them up or just individually. 

Hello all, I'm Lizzie.  I've been "lurking" this thread since i started (I'm day 6), and finding it really helpful, so I hope you don't mind me joining in.  It's great to read what you've all been experiencing, even if you're a few days ahead of me.  I got very concerned yesterday that I was in a craving/grazing pattern even though I stayed with W30 foods (fruit, a handful of macadamia nuts, olives).  It hard to break those habits, especially on a grey day when I was trying not to spend any money so couldn't indulge in my favorite escape, going to the movies.  (Although I'm even nervous about that and the popcorn temptation!) I did cook a bunch though, including a chili that I over spiced.  Normally I'd add some potato or rice but obviously couldn't do that this time.  Added some sweet potato which helped a bit.  I am feeling better although my system is still overactive and I'm incredibly thirsty all the time.

Anyway, I hope it's OK to join this thread.  I've been really enjoying reading it and seeing how you all are supporting each other.

Lizzie

I was pretty much cravings free until day 6, then a serious "sugar" craving set in and I don't even really eat sugar so that was odd.  I was able to stave it off by having almond butter on a banana at lunch time.  A little bit of that goes a long way!! I felt back in control, satisfied and really pleased that I didn't cave.  Yeah!!  Good luck with it all.  ps., another fav escape for me is a hot bath with a cup of herbal tea and a magazine that I never would have time in a "normal" day to flick through.  Even better when my husband cleans the tub and draws the bath.  :P

I had a similar experience, a few years ago I returned to brussel sprouts.  Before, I had always had them boiled and just about gagged at the smell.  Couldn't even think of putting into my mouth.  However, I am a total convert to all veggies roasted, rubbed with olive oil and salted, and just roasted until done.  They reheat easily and retain great flavor and texture.  Mmmm. I love all of the root veggies done this way, mix them up or just individually. 

Oh my gosh! I just had this conversation with my husband last night. At the start of this W30, I committed to eating more new vegetables. In that I included brussels sprouts (which I thought I hated) and beets (which my husband claims to dislike). We were saying, though, that the last time we tasted those vegetables our mother had boiled them. I really don't like boiled veggies, but I love them roasted. Thats what we did with the brussels sprouts and what I plan to do with the beets. I roast all kinds of veggies!

Another day over. It started really bad both physically and emotionally. But ended with a nice long walk and a short run. And I made banana/egg pancake with rasberry and coconut shavings because I needed it. Not because I was hungry (U need to eat when u´ve exercised:) but because it is really yummi and strictly paleo.

PS the bump under my bra is gone...

Roasted Brussels sprouts rule! One of my fave veggies.

Anyone else feeling stuffed after eating? I know ISWF says everyone can hold more than one egg in their hand but when I eat 2 eggs plus veggies I feel so full. And just had lunch of chicken chili and feel stuffed again. But I have many hours to go until the end of my work day and dinner so maybe I won't regret it. I think I'm afraid of getting hungry and wanting to snack but it seems like a lot of folks are allowing them. Any advice.

Amy - love your idea about the relaxing bath. And sounds like you have an awesome hubby!

hi all and welcome Lizzie ;)

good to hear I am not the only one craving what I shouldn't - I find it hard sometimes not to start snacking on "good foods" like nuts, so have decided that if I really am hungry, like I was yesterday, I will go for the mini- meal with vege, fat and protein mixed.

I exercise regularly and ran a 10 km in the weekend on an empty stomach, not a good idea as it made me a shaky and tired- so am learning to listen to the body a bit better, I hope and trying to be realistic and not too hard on self.

at least we are trying to do the right thing here!

pity none of you are nearby, I am organising a young man to come to my area to run a primal fitness workshop. pretty new for us here in New Zealand and I like what he is doing!

Archived