starting August 12

EricaV

What a good Monday! Really my husband and I are still fighting a cold but instead of giving in to "easy" foods when we went shopping yesterday we came out of the grocery store loaded with fruits and veggies  B) Tried coconut milk in our coffee for the first time this morning and I don't need it so I am sticking with black but the hubby liked that it took the edge off. He drinks it with a lot of milk and sugar normally.

He had a tough time at lunch today was out picking up equipment and it took longer than he thought so lunch was 2 hours later than normal and he said he felt lightheaded until he got a chance to eat. On the flip side he drove past a bunch of fast food burger places (his favorite Carls Jr) and said the advertisements didn't even look good!! So excited that the mental influence seems to be broken for him!

The kids and I are trying to cut back on our snacking, me more than them, but I am trying to make sure they get enough at meals so they aren't hungry 10 minutes later.

How do you roast brussel sprouts? I hate them...... but know that I should try them again.

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Cristy

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To roast Brussels sprouts, I used this recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/221963/chef-johns-roasted-brussels-sprouts. I didn't have the little onions and just left them out. I also squeezed fresh lemon juice on them. A cast iron pan is the perfect vessel. Ours came out brown, sweet and nutty. None of the mushy, smelly, bitter nasty smelling stuff that my 5-year old self remembers.

Another day over. It started really bad both physically and emotionally. But ended with a nice long walk and a short run. And I made banana/egg pancake with rasberry and coconut shavings because I needed it. Not because I was hungry (U need to eat when u´ve exercised:) but because it is really yummi and strictly paleo.

PS the bump under my bra is gone...

Trina, unfortunately paleofied treats aren't part of the whole 30....even though the ingredients are compliant. Post exercise you should go for protein and starchy vegies - that is what your body "needs". Save your pancakes for post whole 30!

Hey all, and welcome, lizzie!

We love roasted veggies! I still can't get my hubby or kiddos sold on how good the brussels sprouts are, though. I have discovered that sweet potatoes and I do not agree.

Grocery shopping and some prep today. Cut up veggies, boiled eggs, made mayo, and made Moroccan Meatballs from Well Fed with sautéed cabbage for dinner. Kids now have snacks to grab after school, and are very happy with their choices. I bought Applegate all beef hot dogs and my daughter said, "This will make life so much easier!" They have rarely ever eaten a hot dog! lol I have to admit that I saw salted caramel ice cream in the store today and thought I HAD to have it for a second, and I don't like ice cream!

I noticed today that my daughter's and my complexions look more healthy. The need for sleep hit me like a ton of bricks at midnight last night (about 2 hours better than normal). So far, I've felt a bit better sustained energy through the day, better complexion, and its easier for me to fall asleep. Not bad for 8 days in!

Trina, unfortunately paleofied treats aren't part of the whole 30....even though the ingredients are compliant. Post exercise you should go for protein and starchy vegies - that is what your body "needs". Save your pancakes for post whole 30!

Does that mean I should start my whole30 from the beginning? Because I've already planned on doing a whole49 so that's ok :)

Does that mean I should start my whole30 from the beginning? Because I've already planned on doing a whole49 so that's ok :)

You haven't eaten anything non- compliant, so restarting isn't necessary - but try to not use food as a reward, or to make yourself feel better (like after an emotional day, or because you normally have wine or chocolate). Part of the whole 30 is to stop us thinking we need food to fill a void!

Are we all still here? How is everyone doing? Anyone noticing any changes? I have:

-there was some wiggle room between me and my dress yesterday

-I can stay up later

-I ate a peach yesterday and it tasted so sweet. I know peaches are sweet, but it was dessert sweet

Are we all still here? How is everyone doing? Anyone noticing any changes? I have:

-there was some wiggle room between me and my dress yesterday

-I can stay up later

-I ate a peach yesterday and it tasted so sweet. I know peaches are sweet, but it was dessert sweet

I was just thinking my clothes no longer rub :)

My co-workers (that see me every day) say they can notice a change from day to day (particularly with my clear bright eyes)

I get full quicker

I can eat KIWI (never could eat kiwi)

Good morning all!

I'm fighting the urge to get on the scale. I'm just so curious! Don't think my clothes are fitting differently, but I am a little happier looking in the mirror and seeing my brighter eyes.

Re Brussels Sprouts: I just coat them with olive oil and a little salt and pepper and leave them in a hot oven until they get a little brown and crispy.  Couldn't be easier. (I guess it could be done with ghee if you're worried about olive oil getting too hot.  I haven't tried that yet.)

Going out to lunch today with family.  I'm choosing the restaurant so I think i've found a place where I can get a salad with grilled chicken and will have it with OO and lemon.  I will probably stay away from non-raw veggies as I won't know how they've been cooked.  

And I'm learning to love black coffee. (but ginger tea is saving me!)

Oh my gosh! I just had this conversation with my husband last night. At the start of this W30, I committed to eating more new vegetables. In that I included brussels sprouts (which I thought I hated) and beets (which my husband claims to dislike). We were saying, though, that the last time we tasted those vegetables our mother had boiled them. I really don't like boiled veggies, but I love them roasted. Thats what we did with the brussels sprouts and what I plan to do with the beets. I roast all kinds of veggies!

Similarly, I had only had pickled beets, ugh.  Now, every time we grill something, we have washed beets ready wrapped up in tin foil to put on the hot grill, close the lid and leave it overnight.  Next a.m., take it off, place on a plate and put in the refrig.  Then, whenever you want it, open the foil, take a beet out, peel the outer portion, slice, add orange slices, drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper, and the best fav salad of the household!!

Good morning all!

I'm fighting the urge to get on the scale. I'm just so curious! Don't think my clothes are fitting differently, but I am a little happier looking in the mirror and seeing my brighter eyes.

Re Brussels Sprouts: I just coat them with olive oil and a little salt and pepper and leave them in a hot oven until they get a little brown and crispy.  Couldn't be easier. (I guess it could be done with ghee if you're worried about olive oil getting too hot.  I haven't tried that yet.)

Going out to lunch today with family.  I'm choosing the restaurant so I think i've found a place where I can get a salad with grilled chicken and will have it with OO and lemon.  I will probably stay away from non-raw veggies as I won't know how they've been cooked.  

And I'm learning to love black coffee. (but ginger tea is saving me!)

I too am fighting the urge to get on the scale.  At the beginning of this I actually gave my scale to a friend to hold for me for thirty days but I was tempted to go to my neighbors house this morning.  I was able to talk myself out of it after thinking that this journey is much more than my weight.  I am pretty sure that I am not gaining weight so I tell myself that it is okay to wait a few more weeks.  Besides we will be thrilled to step on the scale and see a large weight loss rather than maybe a pound or two up to this point.  

I ate out on Sunday with my husband and had the same problem with food.  Even though they said there was nothing on the chicken there was clearly something on it so my husband ate it and I ate the salad and then a piece of chicken when we got home.  I was disappointed but I shouldn't find happiness in food anyway.  

Can't wait to roast brussell sprouts.  They are on the menu for tonight.

day 8- had an awesome first week but today, suddenly, cravings......damn. felt so good all week for not craving anything but today at work I could have gone for the morning teas shout, especially as the cake was gluten free- low sugar...at the end of the day very hungry and shaky and no dinner prepared by hubby....(his turn)- went for avocado, 2 eggs, coconut and some nuts and feeling bit better now, at least I didn't go for the chocolate but the need for sweet was v strong....;(

For everyone craving sugar (even if we don't normally), here is a Clafoutis recipe my paleo buddy sent to me over the weekend to help me.  I've made Clafoutis lots of times, but not W30 compliant.  Cherry Clafoutis: 4 eggs, 1 cup coconut milk, vanilla tsp, and 1/4 cup coconut flour. Add any fruit you like (pitted cherries, peaches, berries, etc), and bake 375 for 45 mins.  I tried a sweet potato pan cooked with cinnamon and found it way too sweet, and didn't take care of the "dessert" craving.  Enjoy!

I too am fighting the urge to get on the scale.  At the beginning of this I actually gave my scale to a friend to hold for me for thirty days but I was tempted to go to my neighbors house this morning.  I was able to talk myself out of it after thinking that this journey is much more than my weight.  I am pretty sure that I am not gaining weight so I tell myself that it is okay to wait a few more weeks.  Besides we will be thrilled to step on the scale and see a large weight loss rather than maybe a pound or two up to this point.  

Day 8 everyone!  Whoooop!

I have to echo the urge to get on the scale.  Put on a work suit this morning and, unfortunately, it's no less tight.  Grr.  But I am trying to focus on the positive results I've been having: clearer skin, better sleep, more consistent energy, no hypoglycemic attacks, better focus, no hangovers!  It's just frustrating--normally when I put this much effort and focus into what I'm eating, my measure of success is the scale/my weight.  My instinct is to start eating less to ensure I lose weight, but from what I've been reading, that's not a good way to go?

On another note,  I am continually impressed with how well you eat on this plan!  Last night I had grass-fed meatballs in homemade tomato sauce over spaghetti squash and a carrot/ginger/coconut/lime soup that was over-the-top delicious.  

I too have noticed how SWEET things taste now.  I haven't been eating much fruit, and the strawberries I ahd this am tasted like CANDY.  It's like my taste buds have been given a wake-up call.  LOVE IT.

Good work everyone!

HI everyone, I'm still here, too!

My cravings last night were more just...easy, quick food, mostly carbs.  Not specifically sugar I think.  Which is still really flooring me, because I used to eat something sweet every day.  I thought I 'needed' it.  But now, perhaps not so much!  Amazing to see how much is mental when considering our relationships with food.

So far, yes, I've also noticed clearer skin.  I actually noticed that improving even when I was 'practicing' with some W30 meals earlier.  I'm 30.  At work the other day, someone said she thought I was still in my 20s!!!  Yay!!!  (she's know my BFF forever, haha!)

As far as energy, it is hard for me to tell.  But I did have two pretty rough 12+ hour shifts in a row, and I'm feeling...ok.  Not necessarily Tiger Blood, but I'm also not wrecked like I have been sometimes, and I feel like I have the energy today to do what I want!  

It is a lot of work, but still making and packing all my food for work days, and yesterday I didn't snack!  (Amberino is cheering somewhere!)  I ate my breakfast when I got to work (around 6:45am), then had my lunch around 1:30pm, and didn't feel the urge to eat a small mountain of food when I left (late, at 8pm).  But when I got home and started eating, that's when the cravings hit.  I wish I could just not eat when I get home, and maybe I'll try that one day, but then I feel like I won't have enough in the tank if I have to work the next day.  So, I need to try it when I have the next day off.  Just packing my food and not going down to the cafeteria where temptation lies helps a lot I think.  I also get to enjoy and relax for more time during my short break, because I'm not wasting it in line at the cafeteria.  Thank goodness they aren't open when I'm leaving, and my resolve is at its weakest!

Now, I didn't weigh myself before this started.  I know the number wasn't something I wanted to see, so I just didn't do it.  I was weighed during my physical this summer, so I know my ballpark.  But the bellybloat and gas are definitely reduced.  *thumbs up*

Day 8 everyone!  Whoooop!

On another note,  I am continually impressed with how well you eat on this plan!  Last night I had grass-fed meatballs in homemade tomato sauce over spaghetti squash and a carrot/ginger/coconut/lime soup that was over-the-top delicious.  

How do you make the soup? Sounds great!

Day 8 everyone! Whoooop!

On another note, I am continually impressed with how well you eat on this plan! Last night I had grass-fed meatballs in homemade tomato sauce over spaghetti squash and a carrot/ginger/coconut/lime soup that was over-the-top delicious.

How do you make the soup? Sounds great! BTW, I clearly don't know how to use the "quote" function. Sorry!

Lizzie, it's super easy.

I started by sauteeing a sliced onion in some coconut oil along with about a tablespoon of minced ginger.  I threw in some cumin, turmeric, and garam masala to the mix, along with salt and pepper.  Once the onions were soft and a little caramelized, I threw in a bunch of chopped peeled carrots and covered it all with homemade chicken stock (store bought is fine, obvs).  I let that simmer until the carrots were quite soft--about 30-45 minutes.  Then you puree it all in the blender (in v small batches--watch out for exploding hot soup!).

Return the pureed soup to a pot and heat again.  I add in coconut milk--about 1/2 to 3/4 of a can--the juice of one lime, and more salt to taste if it needs it.  Delicious!  Would be nice with a little salsa made from minced red onion, cilantro, and chopped avo as a garnish.

Day 10- my son was cooking bacon this morning and although it is free farmed bacon without additives it still has some sugar in it!

it smelled sooo good though, was very tempted but no no no.....

what a journey, old habits die so hard is what I am feeling right now....it will be worth it.

not getting on scales, thinking at least no gain.....

I've noticed that my right foot that I broke 2.5 years ago at the base of the toes is no longer swollen.  It has been swollen since it was broken, and I just thought it was going to be the norm from then on....paleo for 9 days and slightly swollen ankles in the hot summer weather and right foot swelling, gone!  There are definitely good things at work here, even if I don't know if weight is one of them...."weight" for it....oh groan! :D

Archived