EricaV

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another day done!

Breakfast:  Two hard boiled eggs, black olives, and cherry tomatoes

Lunch:  Taco meat with just lettuce and Moroccan Dipping Sauce

Dinner:  Carnitas with sauteed cabbage and a few cashews

Carnitas are a hit with everyone in our house.  I've made it every week for the last month!  Here's the recipe I use:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crispy-carnitas/   We make it with beef instead of pork and it's sooo good!

Still feeling bloated and a bit low energy.  I decided to pack HB eggs, olives, tomatoes, and green beans for the Girl Scout lunch on Saturday (and my breakfast sunday), and doing a foil pack with ground lamb/beef mix, snap peas, onions, and Best Stir Fry sauce from Well Fed to heat over the fire for dinner Saturday night.  The s'mores I know we'll have don't even sound good now (yay!).

Andrea

I think I'm getting a bit of tiger blood running through my veins today! I've had excellent energy and the requirement to tighten my belt a notch. I visited my accupuncturist /traditional Chinese doctor and she said that based on my tounge/pulses that my only health issue is sleep! As I have a baby who gets up to nurse lots that was not unexpected :-) seriously, day 12 tomorrow! Wow!

And another day. The last two nights I've slept close to 10 hours each! And with head ace and sore throat it finally hit me; POLLEN! my arch enemy. And the one at this time of year is the worst; mugwort (Burot in Norwegian) It explains my 'down' time as I was climbing steadily upwards until Tuesday. I mean, blaming a plant for caving is sad but realizing that it is more than just me being soft is a little light in the corner. Enough rambling. 

I'm attending both a family reunion and family birthday this weekend. Staying with my parents. I sent an email yesterday asking them to go grocery shopping so there would be paleo friendly food there ;-) My mom has always been kind of paleo but my dad loves his whipped cream with strawberry jam and white bread with Italian coleslaw. But it is easier to get organic/less-travelled food in my hometown. Also, my cousin raise chickens and I'll be taking a whole tray of free range chicken eggs with me home on Sunday :)

A small update 

Trina

confession: got on the scale. Have now moved it into a room that I normally have no access.... 

Have started incorporating exercise in - curious as to what other folks are doing for workouts/exercise?

I run 3 days a week usually, bike to work, do 2-3 weights type workouts a week (some at home, some in class)

when time allow will I add mountain biking to the fun and at times do lots of yoga, but more into weights right now

love my exercise and love being an "older' runner with a great bunch of female running mates

The exercise question is a good one. I have two dogs and walk everyday. Currently I am looking for a women's learn to run group. Next week I'm heading into our gym to start up weights again. I'm 46 and it's time for me to make friends with weights for the long term.

Day 12! Yippee. I've only been up for an hour, but I notice that my head feels clearer. I also definitely otice that my belly is going away. Almost gone. Whew. Also gone is neck pain that has been hanging around for ages (like a couple of years or more).

Have a great day everyone! (I love this group!)

Hey friends-

I need a little bit of bucking up today. It's Day 8 for me (due to chewing gum the first few days) and I'm feeling really unmotivated and almost at wanting to throw in the towel. I think I'm struggling with "I haven't been perfect so what's the point". Like, I ate too much fruit or too late at night so it's spoiled. And I can't stop obsessively thinking about food and what I can and can't have, what I can cook, is it good enough, etc. I managed to stay on track this morning with a great breakfast of 2 eggs cooked with a ton of broccoli and spring onions in ghee ( makes it taste sublime) and I have a workout scheduled this afternoon but I'm feeling anxious about too much unstructured time this weekend AND having to write a big report that's stressing me out.

And i admit I'm feeling disappointed that I'm not feeling of looking significantly beyter yet though I know it's only a week.

Any advice/encouragement/perspective would be much appreciated.

Thanks

All,

To answer and update various posts...

Exercise (hard-core anyway) for me is on the back-burner.  Right now, walking 10K steps/day, working crazy hours, having my house renovated, and waiting for kids to return to school Monday is taking all of my extra energy (oh and a daughter up and down all night sleepwalking/dreaming, worse than the baby days believe it or not).

One really great thing I did was join a local market that is farmer based community supported agriculture (CSA).  I am stopping every other day and picking up fresh fruit/veggies and eggs, organic meats, uncured and pure bacon.  Mmmm, and doing something good for my community at the same time.  

I need to spend some time this weekend prepping food for next week, and gathering new interesting recipes.  Tried the soup (onion, carrot) posted here earlier, and it was really yummy.  Added baked chicken to it for a dinner one late night.  Will definitely add that to the repertoire.  Thinking of taking photos on my phone, adding them to evernote with the recipe and keeping it handy for reminders of what to eat when I have a particular item in the house.

I'm not giving up fruit, but I don't eat dried fruits at all.  I am keeping it one or two pieces max/day and not at night or the last meal of the day, to prevent blood sugar surges.  Love a banana, and helps with leg cramps at night after a hot day.

Been less hungry, not even finishing all of the food I have been cooking for myself.  Also finding red, yellow and orange peppers incredibly sweet, and my sweet potato last night, almost too sweet to eat.  I am not a huge sweets person anyway, so not that surprising.  

However, my achilles heel:  wine....so for those of you yearning for that glass, I'm right there with you.  Pretty sure I'm not an alcoholic, but just really like the social feel of sipping from a stem.  Replacing with water and lemon isn't quite doing the trick.  

Still loving my coffee on ice, makes it easier to drink black than when hot...wonder why that is??

And at the risk of hooking you on a really addictive app, to take your mind off of eating and food, try Candy Crush.  Fun, challenging, even with candy and donuts that you move around.  More strategic than you might think, but when reading and TV is just not cutting it...try a good addictive phone app.

Off for now, getting some of those stressful work issues behind me so I can enjoy my evening sans family, with sparkling water, good food and a book!

Happy Friday to all!

How is everyone? Gearing up for weekend #2 with a birthday party and 5k race  :D Other than my allergies acting up I am feeling so good! Really enjoying the meals and other than running low on veggies towards the end of a week not having any problems staying on track. 

Someone asked about working out and I ran before I started the W30 about 3-4 times a week . I cut back to 2x a week but am playing on a coed softball team with my husband 2 days a week. Had a double header last night and next time I will make sure we take a snack because they were right over our normal dinner time and I was starving and not feeling good by the end of the 2nd game.

Hope everyone has a great friday!!

Cristy

Hey friends-

I need a little bit of bucking up today. It's Day 8 for me (due to chewing gum the first few days) and I'm feeling really unmotivated and almost at wanting to throw in the towel. I think I'm struggling with "I haven't been perfect so what's the point". Like, I ate too much fruit or too late at night so it's spoiled. And I can't stop obsessively thinking about food and what I can and can't have, what I can cook, is it good enough, etc. I managed to stay on track this morning with a great breakfast of 2 eggs cooked with a ton of broccoli and spring onions in ghee ( makes it taste sublime) and I have a workout scheduled this afternoon but I'm feeling anxious about too much unstructured time this weekend AND having to write a big report that's stressing me out.

And i admit I'm feeling disappointed that I'm not feeling of looking significantly beyter yet though I know it's only a week.

Thanks

Hey friends-

Thanks

Lizzie, I'd recommend getting that report done, even breaking it into small steps, rewarding yourself with accomplishing each step with a walk, or a bike ride (10-15 min), coming back and continuing until it is done.  When it is finished, get some friends together for a "celebration" that involves an activity, not a meal.  Bring sparkling water and paleo friendly snacks, and enjoy time with friends.  Reading and prepping for the week with new paleo recipes is another great thing to use unstructured time, for future and for new ideas.  Of course, keep reading the blog here.... B)

Hey friends-

Thanks

All,

To answer and update various posts...

Exercise (hard-core anyway) for me is on the back-burner.  Right now, walking 10K steps/day, working crazy hours, having my house renovated, and waiting for kids to return to school Monday is taking all of my extra energy (oh and a daughter up and down all night sleepwalking/dreaming, worse than the baby days believe it or not).

One really great thing I did was join a local market that is farmer based community supported agriculture (CSA).  I am stopping every other day and picking up fresh fruit/veggies and eggs, organic meats, uncured and pure bacon.  Mmmm, and doing something good for my community at the same time.  

I need to spend some time this weekend prepping food for next week, and gathering new interesting recipes.  Tried the soup (onion, carrot) posted here earlier, and it was really yummy.  Added baked chicken to it for a dinner one late night.  Will definitely add that to the repertoire.  Thinking of taking photos on my phone, adding them to evernote with the recipe and keeping it handy for reminders of what to eat when I have a particular item in the house.

I'm not giving up fruit, but I don't eat dried fruits at all.  I am keeping it one or two pieces max/day and not at night or the last meal of the day, to prevent blood sugar surges.  Love a banana, and helps with leg cramps at night after a hot day.

Been less hungry, not even finishing all of the food I have been cooking for myself.  Also finding red, yellow and orange peppers incredibly sweet, and my sweet potato last night, almost too sweet to eat.  I am not a huge sweets person anyway, so not that surprising.  

However, my achilles heel:  wine....so for those of you yearning for that glass, I'm right there with you.  Pretty sure I'm not an alcoholic, but just really like the social feel of sipping from a stem.  Replacing with water and lemon isn't quite doing the trick.  

Still loving my coffee on ice, makes it easier to drink black than when hot...wonder why that is??

And at the risk of hooking you on a really addictive app, to take your mind off of eating and food, try Candy Crush.  Fun, challenging, even with candy and donuts that you move around.  More strategic than you might think, but when reading and TV is just not cutting it...try a good addictive phone app.

Off for now, getting some of those stressful work issues behind me so I can enjoy my evening sans family, with sparkling water, good food and a book!

Happy Friday to all!

lizzie:  As someone who is pretty hard on myself, I completely understand the self-sabotaging aspects of perfectionism.  Even if everything I've eaten is compliant, I still worry whether I ate too much, if it was "good enough," etc.  If you can recognize this line of thinking for what it is--unhelpful to you and your goals--I think that brings you one step closer to being free of it.  Think of all you've accomplished so far!  Forgive yourself for any perceived imperfections and congratulate yourself on embarking on this journey.  I think what you're feeling is totally normal for this stage in your Whole30.  And don't throw in the towel!  You haven't spoiled anything.  You can continue to tweak and refine your Whole30, if for example you notice that eating late at night/fruit makes you feel poorly.  View this as a learning process--you are learning what works for you!  Your "mistakes" are actually helpful ways of learning more about yourself and how to treat yourself well. 

It's only been 8 days.  Give it time.  Transformation takes a while!  I think you're a rock star and you're going to totally rock this Whole30.  I also think it's awesome that you posted here instead of just throwing in the towel.  I bet the others will have even better advice than I do.  Moral of the stoy: you can do it!  This too shall pass. 

Amy4health: I am so on your wavelength about everything (and really glad you liked the soup!).  Feel precisely the same about a glass of wine (keep fighting the good fight!), sweetness of bell peppers and sweet potatoes (easily sweeter than the plum I ate this morning--how weird is that), AND the addictive properties of Candy Crush.  Embarrassed to say I'm on level 125.  It's becoming a problem.  I also joined a CSA and those veggies have really been keeping mealtime more interesting.  It's also teaching me to love eggplant.

Keep on keeping on everyone!  Yeah day 11.  We can do it!

I've definitely scaled back on my exercise since starting, which was what piqued my curiosity about what other folks were doing. I've just starting getting back to kettlebells/weights after just doing walking and yoga in the first week of my 30.

@Amy4health - I am so on the same page - the only craving is wine for me! oh, and the almost irresistible temptation to step on the scale. Forget who mentioned it, but I may steal the idea of moving it to another place other than the bathroom where I can see it :)

Made a really yummy chicken marinade the other day based off an epicurious recipe for Peruvian grilled chicken I used to use:

1/3 cup coconut aminos

2 tbl lime juice

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp cumin

2 cloves garlic

1 tbl olive oil

I combine everything in my mini prep, but you could likely just chop the garlic and mix the rest. I let the chicken marinate a couple hours and it's super yummy. This week I cut the chicken up, marinated it, and then stir fried with zucchini, carrots, and onions.

hey Lizzie, day 13 for me and I woke up feeling good, after feeling not so good (!!) the last few days-  having been very busy at work with little time to even think about food it was really hard to stick with the plan and I too am not really noticing any magic disappearing of belly fat- have been bloated due the old hormones playing up and wondered if this is all worth it....

but keep posting and keep going because I am sure it is! reading everyone's stories is so good, it really helps

I too have a report to do this weekend (o the paperwork in a job that is supposed to be about people, physical therapy) and it's all too easy to reward myself with an extra coffee or treat, but no- we will not do that, we will go for a walk, talk to a friend, go for a run or post on the forum instead and keep going

good luck

LIttle low on energy again today, but I know I am low on sleep.  I plan to get to bed on the early side tonight.

For working out, I have some bodyweight AMRAPS (20 min) that I rotate around, a few DVDs I like to do (mainly HIIT stuff and weights, though I gotta say, I love step), I do hill sprints every so often, and I play tennis.  I try to workout when I have the day off, which gives me 3-4 workouts per week.  With how active I am at work, I feel like that is plenty.  

Trying to decide what to do now actually...I'd like to get outside, but its rainy.  Thinking maybe some weight work inside is what is more likely to happen.

Browsed around Whole Foods today, mostly just to see what they have that I can't get at Trader Joe's.  Nice selection of meats...I didn't buy anything because I would be walking around with it for awhile, but I have it on my list to go soon and pick up and stock up on some meat!  

I did pick up some Larabars, and actually found myself putting one flavor back because I know, from having it before, that it is super sweet.  Hunh.  That never would have been an issue for me before!  I grabbed some lunch at the salad bar, and loved the fact that they list ingredients for all the things they have on there...but disappointed by how few things on there are Whole30 compliant.  Sugar pops up in so many forms, and soy is everywhere!  

Ok, went for a slow run, but made the whole 5k loop around where I live. Hmmm, maybe a bit Tiger-Bloodish?  I do enjoy working out and not feeling totally ravenous afterward.  

Forgot to mention I picked up some Tessamae's dressing, my first time trying any of it.  I got Lemon Garlic, and just tossed it with some tuna, zucchini noodles, onions, and bell peppers with seasonings.  Very tasty!

Hi all,

Wow, what a difference it is to get through the week, a good Friday night sleep, and feeling like I did get some work accomplished.  I too have things due next week, and actually worked until 9:30 last night finishing lectures for Tues.  Whew!  Forgot to take photos of the meal I made, but I knew I didn't have a lot on hand.  My son went to join friends, my husband and daughter met other friends for a concert at a restaurant in the park, so I was on my own (and my husband is the chef in the house).

I got creative with the veggies from the CSA market this week:  half of a fresh (really red!) tomato, 2 farm fresh eggs cooked in ghee, layered on top of that a portobello mushroom sauteed with onion, and a good amount of fresh green beans (parboiled, then tossed in a little olive oil/salt) to make up the rest of the plate.  It was a beautiful and bright dinner, and no extra seasonings.  Simple and satisfying.  I make my own lime seltzer water, with a fresh squeeze of lime, and voila! Great dinner, evening alone, work accomplished. Woke up refreshed and feeling successful.

Now if I could just get off of level 29 in Candy Crush!!  Oh, probably another forum.  (This is the first forum I've ever written in, rather than just read).

Have a great weekend everyone!!  Share those recipes.  My Sunday is going to become food-prep day.

Amy

Got my first comment on a noticeable change since I started my Whole30....apparently, since a few days, my breath can kill flowers and make wallpapers fall off the wall, hahaha!

Had to search the forum, and did find others who also experienced bad breath around day 10!

Has any of you heard/noticed this, or is it just me?

(God, I hope not!)

My guess: ketosis.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Hi everybody -

Many thanks for the encouraging posts yesterday. I stumbled through the day but did not fall. Did I eat a little more of a few things than I needed to -- Yes. But did I stay away from non-W30 approved foods -- YES!! And I worked with my trainer, again noticing that I'm stronger. I am at the moment sitting in a cafe with my black iced decaf taking a quick break from my report-writing to say thanks to everyone.

What I came to this morning is that just because I've given up before, just because I'm really good a self-sabotage, there's no reason I have to do what I've done before. I actually could do something different.

Lizzie

Got my first comment on a noticeable change since I started my Whole30....apparently, since a few days, my breath can kill flowers and make wallpapers fall off the wall, hahaha!

Had to search the forum, and did find others who also experienced bad breath around day 10!

Has any of you heard/noticed this, or is it just me?

(God, I hope not!)

My guess: ketosis.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Eat more starchy veggies like sweet potato as well as more fruit and your potential ketosis and breath will improve...if that's what you'd like! Whole30 is lower carb in a way, but by no means a true low carb program:-)

I feel amazing and I know I'll be eating this way for awhile. I need to do a temporary pause though. I leave for vacation tomorrow, and to make things complicated I have Celiac disease so I'm always cautious about gluten contamination. I've been very anxious about how to stay whole30 compliant and gluten safe when I can't make all of my meals. On this trip I have limited say where we eat as we're in a group and visiting family owned restaurants (all Asian). Finally I decided that I will relax and go nutritional off roading if I'm in need of finding safe gluten free food, essentially this means rice as it is often the only gluten free find at some places! That being said, I'm back home and officially Whole30 for the month of September! Hopefully I'll find some whole30 compliant foods so there will be minimal interruptions,as I like where my body is heading!

I'm sticking with this forum though, as you all rock!

Hi everybody -

Many thanks for the encouraging posts yesterday. I stumbled through the day but did not fall. Did I eat a little more of a few things than I needed to -- Yes. But did I stay away from non-W30 approved foods -- YES!! And I worked with my trainer, again noticing that I'm stronger. I am at the moment sitting in a cafe with my black iced decaf taking a quick break from my report-writing to say thanks to everyone.

What I came to this morning is that just because I've given up before, just because I'm really good a self-sabotage, there's no reason I have to do what I've done before. I actually could do something different.

Lizzie

Awesome job!!!!

Eat more starchy veggies like sweet potato as well as more fruit and your potential ketosis and breath will improve...if that's what you'd like! Whole30 is lower carb in a way, but by no means a true low carb program:-)

Naah, I don't mind being in ketosis (nor have I intentionally put myself there) :)

Just means I'm using fat for energy, and at my current activity level I know I don't need to add more carbs for energy.

(Plus, with fall and winter right around the corner, it'll soon be a natural shift towards more starchy veggies anyway..)

I'll just keep eating good and nutritious food, and then whether I'm in ketosis or not doesn't really matter :)

Archived