Traving in Ireland and Britain

Nannydi

I will be going to Ireland and Britain for several weeks four days after I finish my first W30. Will be staying at Bed and Breakfasts, eating at pubs and restaurants with some but few chances to prepare my own food. Will have access to small cooler for the car. Any tips on how best to make my transition?

Lucky you! I would suggest that you go stay with fellow whole30 superstar Derval in Ireland! :-)

Other than that, since you'll just be finishing your whole30 and probably don't want to feel like crap during your trip, I would suggest being by mindful of what you are eating and try to stay fairly compliant if you can. Not sure doing a full reintro during vacation is the best idea. But, you want to have fun and experience as much as you can.....if I were you, I'd aim for tw compliant meals a day.

Have fun! Have a Guinness for me! (Not really, I don't even like Guinness-but, I would have one if I were in Ireland!)

You will find much to love in Irish cuisine if you choose carefully.  All the beef is grass-fed, and if you will be in the West of Ireland, the wild-caught salmon is out of this world.  Every little pub and restaurant seems to have their own secret smoked salmon recipe and most of them do it on premises. 

Irish breakfasts are heavy on eggs and bacon, just stay away from the porridge, scones and potatoes.  Vegetables are often served at breakfast, and I don't think any Irish breakfast plate is considered complete without a grilled tomato.

Pub fare doesn't have to be the carb-laden, cheese dripping, greasy stuff we serve as pub grub here.  I have had some amazing soups and stews, or perfectly broiled white fish larger than the plate.  The Irish are extremely hospitable and accommodating, and I'm sure most places would be happy to serve you some veggies in place of whatever else the dish comes with. 

Great responses, Coleen and 1Maryann! I've travelled often to Ireland and concur on all your recommendations. Soon came to appreciate the "clean" fare (and the Guinness ;-) and that most amazing Irish hospitality. On past trips, I had stayed away from eggs and instead had the porridge for breakfasts and lots of soup for lunches. Think I will switch that this time. Not at all sure of the soup ingredients. Guess I can enquire (doh!). I'm a big fan of their seafood, so dinner should be a breeze. Saying "no thanks" to the fruit scones and sticky toffee pudding, at this point, being at D 20 of the W 30, is remarkably seeming doable:-) I will, however, not deny myself the occasional Guinness .

Guinness would be the hardest part for me.  Especially when we head to Dublin to visit my cousin Jo.  You can smell that beautiful 'bakery" smell from miles away depending on the wind.  My cousin Mary has a B&B in Salthill, half a block off Galway Bay.  (Shameless family plug, I know.)  Let me know if you ever need accommodations in that part of Ireland.

Archived