Help, I'm a little confused about the "sugar law"

Jen Musick

Can someone give me a few examples of what's safe to eat and what's not, in terms of sugar in the ingredients?

Its not the sugar subs that I'm confused about its when an ingredient has sugar already in the food.

Example, Almond Butter has sugar in the ingredients, this is not ok to consume if it has sugar, right?

Example, Sparkling Clementine Izzy: It has no added sugar and their is no sugar in the ingredients listed on the bottle. This is ok to consume, right? However, it has 70% pure fruit juice........

ANY HELP would be GREAT!

Jen

Ignore the Nutrition Facts rectangle part of the label.

Look at the Ingredients list.  If any kind of sweetener (there is a list of the many names) is listed as an ingredient, the product is not allowed.

Almond butter may say something like "Ingredients: almonds, salt."  There should not be any sugar or forbidden oil.

I'm not sure about the official word on Izze's.  (Just saw that part of the question.)  I think I have recently seen that you can drink juice, on occasion.  More specifically, a small amount of juice can be added to recipes to sweeten.  I would think that drinking juice all the time may make it harder to slay a sugar dragon, to understand hunger cues, and to lose weight.  As for the ingredients test, it does pass.

Ahhhhhhh I got it! Thanks so much for your post!

I'm just a few days in and its a little harder to pull a simple thought together. In the state i'm in I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal than it actually, nonetheless better safe than sorry. :) 

Cheers

to clarify on juice: juice needs to be very limited according to context. Like this: "I usually have a small glass of orange juice at breakfast so I want some" no. "I just ran a marathon and I need to replenish glycogen, stat" yes. For the most part, consider juice a flavoring, like a tiny bit in a vinaigrette or a splash added to sparkling water (for the record, I'm pretty sure izze's is not equivalent to a "splash"...I would avoid that during the whole30.)

Can someone give me a few examples of what's safe to eat and what's not, in terms of sugar in the ingredients?

Its not the sugar subs that I'm confused about its when an ingredient has sugar already in the food.

If the sugar is within the food, example sweet potato, that is fine. If it's added in any way, it's not fine. My understanding is that juice is out. I don't drink anything but water normally so it's not an issue for me, but I'd think if you're having conflicts about whether something is ok or not, leave it. Getting hung up on something like whether it's okay to add a tablespoon of juice to a recipe that calls for it seems a bit pointless... it's a tablespoon, you'll live without it just fine, for the next month at least.

For many people, getting sugar out (and keeping it out) their diet is the biggest challenge of this eating plan. A look through http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/03/26/names-for-sugar/ will help explain why, as manufacturers are pretty wily at getting it into all manner of products without raising flags.

Yeah, I have to get my almond butter from our health food store, because the stuff in our regular supermarket has sugar in it. As far as fruit juice in Izzy's, fruit juice raises your blood sugar level and will probably contribute to sugar cravings more than a small piece of whole fruit, which has fiber.

Archived