I want to gain weight, not lose it :-/

I'm on day 12. I'm actually trying to gain weight and thought that I could do it trough Whole30. I have been earing a considerable amount more than I was before I started and I do crossfit 2-3 days a week. A typical day would include a breakfast of 3 eggs, banana and sauteed greens, lunch of 1 chicken breast and a huges salad full of veggies and avocado, dinner of steak, green beans and butternut squash. I usually have an apple and almond butter and an egg before workouts and a 1/2 chicken breast an sweet potato after . I've been seening gains in my workouts too (which is awesome) but, I hopped on the scale lastnight and I've lost 5lbs. :-/ I think I'm underweight. 5'6" and 120lbs now. I'd really like to get up to 130. Should I just not worry about it? Is this just the way my body wants to go?

Welcome to the Paleo Weight Gain Club - as you can tell, it's fairly underpopulated territory!

I think your food intake still looks a bit on the low side, especially since chicken breast is so lean; it's not really adding many calories. And veggies also don't give you much there. And chicken breast is also absurdly expensive; why not try switching to pork shoulder or other fattier meat. As well as adding more fat to meals, I love to make curry with full-fat coconut milk; it adds tons of calories, tastes delicious, and it's easy to eat a lot of it. So basically I agree with amberino: eat more fat!

You may also want to try eating more carbs. I like plantains as a nice change from bananas/sweet potatoes, and they're delicious fried (thus getting you more fat as well in one fell swoop). In the same way that carb restriction is often just the ticket for losing weight, adding more carbs is often great for gaining.

Archived