Too low carb?

I am struggling with extreme fatigue and very low body temps.  My body temps lowered the first time I did Whole30 and thyroid tests revealed my levels were a little low so I figured it was just me needing a medication change.  I completed a Whole30 in May/June and was pretty close to Whole30 in July.  Last week I was not on Whole30 and celebrated my son's second birthday with camping and we had some treats.  My basal temps went up and I felt like I had enough energy to start exercising again.  I did get a stomachache from the gluten, but I was okay.  I decided to start another Whole30 this week and I've been dragging and having low temps.  To experiment I had non Whole30 food a couple days ago and my temps went up.  Went back to Whole30 foods and they plummeted.  I'm talking basal temps a full degree lower than my usual.  I'm exhausted and struggling to get through the day.  I don't believe it's just because I'm in the first week of Whole30.  My temps went down last time too.  I didn't have enough energy to exercise the first time around either.  Although my digestion was better and I did lose weight, I did not experience an energy boost many speak about. 

I take medication for thyroid disease and low adrenal function.  I have for over 6 years.  I have never had basal temps this low even prior to my diagnosis years ago. 

Some things you read suggest low carb is good for thyroid and others say it alters T3 levels.  All I know is that each time I start Whole30, my basals drop, but this is more than they did before. 

Should I add in rice or something?  Have a sweet potato with every meal?  More fruit?  I have no energy.  I'm not craving or anything and don't feel super hungry.  I'm just exhausted and I have a two year old to chase after.  Help!!

I think you are right about calories too.  Yesterday I did a grand experiment and it was successful.  I mean it was a failure in that I ate non-Whole30 foods, but I figured I was less than a week in, it wasn't my first Whole30, and I really needed to experiment to figure it out.  So I ate more carbs and just more food in general.  Temp skyrocketed!!!!  It went up over a full degree and I did nothing different.  It had gone up after a cheat for my son's birthday too.  So I'm either not eating enough carbs or I'm not eating enough in general.  It was 96.6 the last few days and 97.8 this morning.  I'm convinced.  :)  This morning I also woke up on my own before my alarm and felt ready to go clean the whole house.  Unfortunately I have to work, but still, it's the first time I've woke up with energy in awhile. 

So I'm going to try eating more in general and add some more starchy carbs as I have very few.  I have sweet potato every other day or so.  I'm not trying to avoid it or anything.  I just haven't been having it as much for whatever reason.  Then I'll see how I feel, how the weight is going and reevaluate in a bit.  I'm hoping it's the reason I've had such low energy for awhile and why my cycle has been off too.  It was totally regular until the month following my first Whole30.

Thank you for posting this. I've experienced a similar problem although I've never been diagnosted with any conditions. But after Whole30'ing it for a while my temp drops and I fell like a truck run over me. I tend to forget about the starchies, so I'm glad to know upping the intake worked for you!

Archived