Can I have "dessert"?? Even if it's not a trigger food?

Nancy11son

I'm having a disagreement and need the forum to settle it.  My feeling is that you should not allow yourself dessert on the Whole30 program.  Meals and mini-meals are always the focus.  If you have an apple with cinnamon after dinner, that is dessert.  You're feeding a sugar demon even if it's not a "problem food" - right?  My friend thinks I'm demonizing fruit.  I never said you couldn't have fruit, just that you're maybe missing the point of the Whole30 if you're having fruit as a dessert. 

What says the masses??

I have fruit after dinner, because I really don't like combining fruit with my meals....

I think fruit has its benefits so I won't cut it out, and after a meal is really my only option! It doesn't replace dessert for me - dessert to me is extravagant and decadent, something fruit will never be!

I always understood fruit at the end of a meal was ok, as long as it's straight after. Heck, in Well Fed there's even a recipe for coconut cream to put on it. But thinking about what the OP said, I'm not sure i've been doing myself any favours by having a handful of cherries after meals - my sugar dragon's probably going "ooh, hello!" :ph34r:... So while it *is* compliant, i'd suggest if you have issues with sweet stuff you save it for special occasions! :)

After your W30, a bit of fruit with coconut cream is ok if it doesn't promote an unintended less than desirable psychological reaction, but during your W30 each "meal" should follow the template - fruit alone or with coconut milk does not fit..remember, it's just 30 days!!

I have fruit with meal 3 maybe 2-3 times per week.  Lately, I will eat it first and then have dinner. For me, this definitely helps to break up that "sweet treat after dinner" mentality. Now the fruit feels like healthy food that is part of the meal. Take that, Sugar Dragon!!

Archived