Chapul Bars

SanguineAspect

So I read the article on Chapul on the main page and find the whole idea of bug-based protein really fascinating. They're working on designing a Whole 30-friendly bar, but I'm wondering if they've already got one (because if this is compliant, I'm dying to try it). 

What say you? The ingredient list on this flavor of bar seems acceptable - http://chapul.com/aztec-bar-box-of-12/

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I did a lot of research and can't find any recent information about this so instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just bump this one. Questions:

1. Did Chapul ever release a Whole30 compliant bar? I saw lots of stuff saying they were going to in 2014 but can't find anything on it.

2. Above, Tom Denham comments, "the Aztec bar should be fine"; however, on the official "Can I have" page, it states something like "no mixing cocoa with dates" which is exactly what the Aztec bar is. So what's the verdict on this?

I'm not looking to load my diet with these, but I just started my second Whole 30. The most challenging thing about the first was traveling and having no options. I'm also intrigued by bug protein.

Thanks

11 hours ago, kirkor said:

1. Doesn't look like it per their website, of those 4 flavors at least

2. Ya, looks like that would be no bueno

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured, but I just wanted to be sure since the mod above said that the Aztec bar (one of the 4 flavors on their website) is compliant.

3 hours ago, manley0702 said:

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured, but I just wanted to be sure since the mod above said that the Aztec bar (one of the 4 flavors on their website) is compliant.

Well, it was 3-1/2 years ago, so maybe they've changed up their ingredients?

But anyhoo, ya, how cool is bug protein??

Just now, kirkor said:

Well, it was 3-1/2 years ago, so maybe they've changed up their ingredients?

But anyhoo, ya, how cool is bug protein??

Yeah. I'd love to try it. I'm starting an intense weightlifting program tomorrow and am going to need a source of extra calories. I'm thinking about buying the Chapul protein powder. That does indeed seem to be compliant. I know you're not supposed to drink calories, but I'm going to need lots of calories so I think I'm going to do it anyway.

2 hours ago, kirkor said:

You could start with solid food and the standard template + pre- and post-workout minimeals as recommended and see how it goes. What day of Whole30 are you on?

Yeah. I might give that a try. I'm on Day 3. This is my 2nd Whole 30. I did my first one back in August. I wasn't working out back then though so I didn't have to eat nearly as much. I know the trick to making this work is to stay full which is going to be more challenging as I try to put on muscle.

Eh, I mean, it might be okay, but in the meantime check out some of the other threads here on the forum on athletes + Whole30.  I really think you can do it without powder, and it's only for 30 days after all.  Especially if you are new to strength training. 

• Moderators

I find EPIC bars to be far superior in that they don't have cocoa and dates (thus don't make me snacky/poke my sugar dragon), and also they have a good deal more protein so they tend to hold me longer.

The other important consideration is that these should be used for Emergency Food only, like when you get stuck in an airport because your flight has been delayed for hours. None of the bars are intended to be eaten as a snack. (This is a recommendation, to help you achieve your best results, not a rule.)

46 minutes ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

I find EPIC bars to be far superior in that they don't have cocoa and dates (thus don't make me snacky/poke my sugar dragon), and also they have a good deal more protein so they tend to hold me longer.

The other important consideration is that these should be used for Emergency Food only, like when you get stuck in an airport because your flight has been delayed for hours. None of the bars are intended to be eaten as a snack. (This is a recommendation, to help you achieve your best results, not a rule.)

Thanks for the response. I went to their website and looked at their different bars. Most of them seem to be compliant. I assume the Bison Bacon Cranberry and the Wild Boar Bacon are out though due to the brown sugar, right?

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

I'm confused guys, I thought dates were compliant? I start my whole 30 on Monday and I found RX bars but they contain egg whites, dates, cocoa???

They are okay, the conversation above is just about how a bar that is primarily meat is going to be better than a sugar bomb filled iwth dates and dried fruit/nuts.  While the item you describe is 'technically' compliant, it is not the best choice for your Whole30... it's essentially a natural candy bar and while they can be handy in an emergency (stuck on the tarmac for hours, in a lifeboat floating at sea), if you can plan for the RX bar, you can plan for leftovers, tinned fish, maybe an Epic bar... eating these WILL keep your sugar dragon alive and well, especially if they become a habit (they can and do and it's very hard to break).

Oh ok. I will keep those at a minimum. I personally don'y have a sugar addiction though I actually rarely will eat sweets of any kind. I don't like candy, cake, pies, or things like that. I would rather eat salt and vinegar potato chips or tortilla chips with salsa, lol.

Archived