Lunches on the Go-- Need Ideas!

Mattyo3000

I'm an elementary school teacher and don't have very much time to eat lunch, especially the Whole30 way: slowly, not gulping, enjoying the food I'm eating, etc.  Sometimes I have the luxury of actually sitting down at my desk to just eat, but more often than not, I'm multitasking during lunch time.  (Not ideal, I know, but other teachers out there know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.)

So... what are some easy, quick, on-the-go (and/or portable?)-- yet FILLING-- lunches that you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I've been making a salad the night before and carrying it to work in a wonderful generously sized Tupperware salad bowl that has its own dressing cup (with a good tightly sealing cap) and even comes with a sturdy plastic knife and fork that clip to the lid. If I put a serving of meat in there and include enough good fats like bacon (or you could do olives or avocado or nuts if you can eat them), this salad will keep me going all afternoon. The secret to staying-power for a salad is to have enough fat in it.

tuna fish with some paleo mayo (from the Well Fed cookbook) and also mix in some onions and a half an avocado which is cubed or chopped up.  You can eat this with a fork, or on lettuce wraps (if you have time)...maybe add a side of some additional chopped veggies such as bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots etc.  If you need carbs then half or whole sweet potato on the side that was prebaked (which tastes great cold)

Hard-boiled eggs with raw veg/mayo dip. 

(If this isn't SWYPO for you) cold chicken tenders (breaded in egg and almond meal with whatever seasoning you want) and a salad (I do love cold chicken tender salads too).

Tuna salad is fantastic, and you can mix in all kind of good stuff - pickles/cukes, jicama, peppers, onions...

I have a titanium spork that I take with me to work so I can eat no matter what. I always have almonds and maybe a Larabar or two also in my backpack for emergencies. I find that a good Larabar (especially the coconut cream pie one, which has added coconut oil to make it more filling) can last me 2+ hours, if not a perfect solution.

Oh, and check out nomnompaleo this week - she's doing a whole series on school lunches (for kids, but the concepts translate...).

-I make dressings on the weekend and keep a bottle at work. Then its just a matter of throwing veggies and some sort of meat for a salad. If you grilled or baked a bunch of chicken or turkey that is super easy to throw onto greens. 

-Tuna mixed with pesto on lettuce

-Roast beef wrapped in lettuce with tomato, onion, top with  mayo and pickles - throw in some carrots or chopped red pepper too, or mustard....yummm

-Chicken salad - this requires prep the night before but so so so good - grilled or baked chicken, paleo mayo, chopped cashews, handful of sesame seeds, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and sliced grapes. Serve on lettuce. I always bring along chopped raw veggies too.

-These almond-crusted chicken fingers were great - make the night before for dinner, and bring to work the next day (I had them with a pile of broccoli): http://whatkellysaid.com/2013/05/14/almond-crusted-chicken-tenders/ Dip in mustard or mayo mixed with lime juice and chipotle powder, mmmm!

-I make a big breakfast casserole with like a TON of veggies and pork sausage. I eat it for breakfast but you could easily pack for lunch with a side of greens. 

-Get creative on the weekends and make a lot of whatever you are making! Bring the leftovers for lunch. Soups and crock pot stews make a lot - its easy to bring in to eat for a few days!

Archived