acidophilus PEARLS

DubyaWife

I was looking for the specific topic where this question was answered, but didn't see it so apologies if this is a repeat.  

Are Pearls on okay probiotic to take?  

Ingredients: 

vegetable oil (palm and coconut), fish gelatin (Tilapia), vegetable glycerin, soy lecithin, and pectin.

May contain minimal residual amount of milk protein.

http://www.pearlsprobiotics.com/Products/04293-Acidophilus-Pearls.aspx

Thanks!

I am trying to learn to love kimchi and naturally fermented pickles to get my probiotic intake! But I understand these do not taste very good to everyone. Still, you should try different fermented foods, as they are natural, more varied, and possibly contain more strains than bottled probiotics. 

The pearls and most anything at CVS or Wal-Mart or a drug store sucks. Take it from someone who has tried basically every single brand. They are poor quality. Plus, probiotics need refrigeration to stay alive, so CVS or Wal-Mart are not a good place to look. Your best bet is the following:

-Purchase a probiotic on amazon that ships cold. If its not shipped cold then you should doubt the integrity of the product. Here is the Jarrow brand: http://www.amazon.com/Jarro-Dophilus-Allergen-Free-Billion-Count-Cool/dp/B00C3Z7IIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376071931&sr=8-2&keywords=jarrow+allergen+free

-Go to a local health foods store, an organic market, or a vitamin store (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe) and ask if they carry refrigerated probiotics. 

Be careful - I took too many of the Jarrow probiotics and had a VERY severe reaction yesterday. Start small - one in the morning. Work your way up to more frequently and higher dosage. 

I used the pearls before I was on W30. They really helped me out a few months ago when I had bad constipation issues. I stopped them during W30 and took other probiotics that don't have soy, etc. But I am back to taking them now. What I like about them is that they don't digest wholly until they are down in the colon, where I did need some help. I'm sure live cultures are better, but are also much more expensive.

<sigh>  I'm going to have to restart my Whole30 now that I have read this, because the probiotic I take also has the same ingredients as the Pearl.  

I have bowel disease and take probiotics to manage the pain.  Thought I could switch to the Jarrow formula, but when I go to their website to double-check ingredients I found this:

Other Ingredients

Maltodextrin, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), silicon dioxide and vitamin C. Capsule consists of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.

Maltrodextrin is also a no-no, so where in the world can I find one that is Whole30 compliant?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok maybe this is a REALLY stupid question... But what it the purpose of eating/drinking probiotics other than to help you have a regular BM?

I have never had issues there, and hate fermented foods. Whole30 has not caused any disruption in my daily BM. So I don't need to find a way to choke those down right?

<sigh>  I'm going to have to restart my Whole30 now that I have read this, because the probiotic I take also has the same ingredients as the Pearl.  

I have bowel disease and take probiotics to manage the pain.  Thought I could switch to the Jarrow formula, but when I go to their website to double-check ingredients I found this:

Other Ingredients

Maltodextrin, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), silicon dioxide and vitamin C. Capsule consists of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.

Maltrodextrin is also a no-no, so where in the world can I find one that is Whole30 compliant?

Try Klaire Labs http://www.klaire.com

By eating probiotic-rich foods you maintain good intestinal flora - it is crucial for those with compromised digestion. I am trying my best to fight bad dysbiosis and I have no choice. For those with healthy digestion it is recommended, but you don't have to do anything ;) There are not that many researches out there that show some astonishing benefits, but common benefits of probiotics are that they can also help to maintain urinary trackt and healthy immune system.

To make water kefir you need to putchase water kefir grains. Process is similar to brewing kombucha. I belive some health stores (mine does) carry bottled water kefir as well (Eco brand or smth similar).

You can ferment pretty much every vegetable possible and dress it to your liking. Check the thread fermenting fun somewhere here. Recipe sharing I guess.

The Solaray line of probiotics are a good one. They require refrigeration, however. I can get a bottle at Sprouts for about $10-15. 

Also, there is Florastor, which isn't quite a probiotic, but it's still a gut friendly bacteria. It's expensive, but shelf-stable (no refrigeration needed). I know Vitacost will ship the Solaray stuff cold, to your house. Most vitamin stores and health food stores with a refrigerated section in their vitamin area will have something good you can take, and Solaray is popular.

Tread carefully if you choose to do kimchi while on a whole30 - rice flour (just a few tablespoons) is often used in the creation process. Things like cucumber "kimchi" probably do not have the rice flour (I'm certainly not positive on this one, do your research) and tend to be more palatable. OTOH, I don't know how properly fermented they are.

@Psirene:  Thanks for the suggestions; I will see if I can find them locally.  Also, didn't know Vitacost ships cold -- have used them for years & never came across this feature.

As far as the probiotic foods, I would culture my own.  Used to make raw goat milk kefir, made kimchi years ago from a culture kit, make my own miso, natto, tofu, etc.  It's a little trickier in this heat, but still do-able. =)

Archived