Coffee for your Whole 30: How to make it if you're used to using dairy

• Moderators

Best #whole30 trick I learned: Warm ~1/4 c coconut milk in mug. Add ~1 tsp unsweetened cocoa (optional) and ~1/4 c of hot coffee. Blend with wand mixer (or in blender), then fill w/more coffee til you get the flavor you like. MAGICAL frothy goodness. And it is a whole different drink than just coffee and coconut milk stirred together.

EDITED TO ADD: 4+ years later, this is still how I drink my coffee. I never went back to dairy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best #whole30 trick I learned: Warm ~1/4 c coconut milk in mug. Add ~1 tsp unsweetened cocoa (optional) and ~1/4 c of hot coffee. Blend with wand mixer (or in blender), then fill w/more coffee til you get the flavor you like. MAGICAL frothy goodness. And it is a whole different drink than just coffee and coconut milk stirred together.

Thanks for this. It's helping me kick a major Starbucks latte habit. :)

With my first W30 I was also kicking a big sugary coffee drink habit and I honestly found it was best to not even tempt that dragon with some sort of compliant concoction. I would add a little bit of coconut milk, just to take a slight edge off the bitterness of black coffee, and I learned to really enjoy it that way without a lot of other fuss and muss. 

Generally, I use full-fat heavy cream in mine, but since starting the W30, I've been using coconut milk. It tastes great, but I find that the coffee residue in the cups is really tenacious and lasts even after multiple washings. Anyone else have this happen? My grandma had an old trick for taking the bitter edge of black coffee: brew it with clean eggshells. I'm going to give this a try...because I certainly have the eggshells to spare!

• Moderators

Yes, I use the Native Forest full fat coconut milk.

There's nothing sweet about this drink. The cocoa adds a depth of flavor, but actually makes the drink a bit less sweet. I often omit the teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa and just use the coconut milk. I find the blending really helps the coconut milk and coffee consistency and flavor.

I wasn't a Sbucks addict, just found something new that I enjoy. 5 months post-Whole30 and I am still drinking it this way, haven't gone back to dairy. Perhaps if you are a chocoholic, you may wish to skip the small amount of cocoa.

I've found you just have to wash out your cup well with a sponge and soap to get rid of the residue.

Am I correct in reading that you are using the thick coconut milk in a can that we use to make curries?
Very curious

Drinking black coffee than coffee with milk is actually healthier. I'm sorry if I'm sharing the old news :huh: but I just came to know about it today. It is recommended not to add milk and sugar in coffee to get its full benefits on health. Instead of sugar you may add honey or sugarfree pills.

Coffee with milk, honey or sugar-free pills is NOT Whole30 compliant.

Great topic. I am learning how to drink coffee in moderation while on Wholr30. Before whole30 i was drinking an herbal coffee alternative with dandelion root and other ingredients hut was not whole30 compliant. so i started with coffee again but havent been as bad as i used to be. only 1 cup in the am Sometimes ill do the coconut butter and cacao powder blended magic and sometimes ill just drink it black. Before

• Moderators

Drinking black coffee than coffee with milk is actually healthier. I'm sorry if I'm sharing the old news :huh: but I just came to know about it today. It is recommended not to add milk and sugar in coffee to get its full benefits on health. Instead of sugar you may add honey or sugarfree pills.

Um, nope, you may not. Not on your Whole30. Are you on the right website?

• 1 month later...

Never did I think I could drink.... Much less enjoy My coffee black, but its really not bad and I hope to always drink it this way, I agree with not trying to add anything that would sub for all the sweetener and cream I use to put in. I'm doing this to make some lifetime changes.

I read somewhere that people add coconut oil to their coffee, which intrigues me.  Anyone here do JUST that?  If so, how much, what do they think, etc? 

I became a black coffee drinker the first time I did W30 and haven't gone back, except for the occassional "treat" coffee around the holidays (salted caramel mochas are my weakness, I must confess) but I wouldn't mind a little kick here and there, if it was something like coconut oil.  Just looking for some feedback.

I use coconut milk from a can as well. I have tried quite a few varieties and Whole Foods brand light coconut milk tasted the creamiest to me.  A tip I learned is that if you heat the coconut milk before adding it to iced or hot coffee, it doesnt chunk up in your coffee.

I just finished my Whole 30, actually on day 32, and from a former Venti Sugar Free Vanilla Latte per day girl, it is possible to make the change!  Like many have said before, good coffee is key!

• 2 weeks later...

I add just Coconut oil - it's best blended with the coffee. If you just stir it in it floats on the top, which isn't bad...blended is just better and it looks kind of milky :) definitely takes the bitter edge off.

I use about 1-1.5 tspns in a mug.

I blend ghee and coconut oil with my coffee (using an immersion blender) -- it's amazing! 

I find ghee too weird tasting, but coconut oil (hot blended with immersion blender) makes a fantastic latte-ish coffee. Has to be hot when blended, I let the oil melt in the boiling water before I start blending, I find it fluffier when I do this.

If you've only tried coffee with spooned coconut oil or coconut milk/cream, the immersion version is worth a try, a much closer texture to dairy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with putting different spices in my coffee.  Cardomom pods, cinnamon, etc.  I have an espresso machine so I just stick the spices into the group along with the ground beans.  It's a nice way to mix things up.  Most mornings I have it black - I've gone from my pre-Whole 30 strong flat white to a long black with no problems.

Other things have been more challenging :(

• 1 year later...

I'm on day 4... when you refer to coconut milk, are you talking about canned or the carton type? 

Generally speaking most coconut milk in a carton is not compliant. (Typically contains nasties like carrageenan.)  You'll have better luck finding compliant coconut milk in a can.  Always check ingredients (watch out for potassium metabisulphite in cans especially - which would make them non-compliant).

Archived