Day 1 hunger-HELP!

Hi everyone!  Today is Day 1 for me.  It's nearly 3pm EST and I'm pretty damn hungry.  I couldn't do a big food shop or cook-up yet, and am going tomorrow.  So I have to make due with what I have and my surroundings at work.  I DEF don't think I ate nearly enough today, AND I plan to go to crossfit at 5pm.  Here's my day.  Please hack it, and let me know how I can improve in the coming days:

Breakfast (8:30 am):  2 eggs over easy, 2 pieces bacon, some cubed pineapple

Snack (10:50 am):  13 almonds

Lunch (12 pm):  Big salad with mixed greens, baby spinach, 4 oz grilled chicken, beets, mushroom, cucumber, tomato, olives, EVOO/Balsamic vinegar

Snack #2 (soon):  I have some grapes, but thats it.  UGH

Dinner (around 6:30):  I plan to have a turkey burger patty cooked in coconut oil or ghee with lots of broccoli or something

I know I need a lot more protein and fat.  I need to buy some avocados.

Thanks for the help!

Sara 

I think you answered your own question. You need more protien and fat. At breakfast you should have 1 to 2 protiens and one to 2 fats. If you have a small hand so that you could hold only 4 eggs in your hand that is how many egge you should have and your bacon would be the other protien. If you did that you probably wouldn't need to snack. I am 37 days into Whole 30 and have not had a problem with hunger. Dallas and Melissa give good advice. Donot eat less than they suggest and do not snack.

Hi There,

Quick suggestion - your breakfast looks too small.  And you could use more protein in your lunch.  Also go easy on the nuts.  They tend to cause a lot of bloating/digestive issues for many.

I find I do well with a starchy veg in my breakfast.  Think pumpkin, sweet potato, squash, turnip, celery root (basically any root veg besides potatoes).  My favourite lately is turnip hash with ground meat.  It will last me most of the week.  I top it off with some homemade mayo and I'm good to go.

Don't be scared to up your protein and fat.  I was initially scared of uping my fat content in the begining.  But then I noticed that if I didn't have enough fat, I was hungry in the afternoon.  So don't be sacred to tweak and add more (or less) to find what works for you.

Honestly, if you follow the meal template, and the cues from your body, the weight will take care of itself. W30 isn't necessarily a weight loss program, though lots of people do lose weight. It sounds like your body is telling you that it needs a lot more food. If you are hungry, eat. There are mornings when I need 3-4 eggs, and some when I only need two. I always include 1/2 avocado, veggies, a sweet potato/banana and coffee with coconut milk in the morning. I have about 3-4 servings of fat at meal one alone. It fills me up and gives me a lot of energy. Meal 2 is sometimes a salad with chicken, EVO, avocado and other veggies, or it might be a steak with veggies, etc. I focus more on what I need that day, then I do specific portions. I get into trouble when I start indulging in nuts and too much fruit, or get too snacky. However, if I follow the meal plan, and eat lots of protein, veggies, and fat, my weight and energy really take care of themselves. Don't be afraid to eat. Do the right thing for your health, and let your hormones and your weight adjust naturally. Good luck! :-)

You want to follow the meal template (and NOT weigh food): 1-2 palm sizes of protein per meal. Here is the template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

You also need to have vegetables at every meal: shoot for 1-2 cups per meal.  

Pineapple is a very sugary fruit - if you're going to have that, best to have it at a later meal in the day.

Snacks should be a mini-meal including a protein and fat. Avoid having just fruit or just nuts.

EDIT: Also be sure your bacon is compliant (no sugar).

Everyone has said more food - and I agree!

There should be no reason for snacks if you're eating enough in each meal, as per the template. They aren't recommended, so I found that if I didn't plan them, I wouldn't have them.

If you are actually starving have a mini meal like chris mentioned - I found in the first few days that overestimating meals was a great idea. I either ate the whole lot because I was hungry, or if I couldn't finish I had a mini meal of leftovers for a "snack" if I needed it.

If you're training though, you are entitled to more food. Your pre and postWO food is necessary!

Pre WO should be fat/protein, say a HB egg or two, and postWO should be lean protein and carbs (Starchy vegetables). You need this food to help fuel your workout, then to help you recover afterwards.

Thank you everyone-very helpful.  Going food shopping later on today.  Going to make sure to create bigger meals to prevent snacking.  Today I brought a mini meal of tuna mixed with avocado and 1/2 a sweet potato in case I get hungry again in the late afternoon.

-Sara

Everyone else has given all the advice I would give. One more thing though...bacon is actually a fat not a protein in the paleo world and should be treated as a condiment. See the bacon manifesto on the blog. And yes, make sure your bacon is sugar and nasty additive free and from the very best source you can find.

Everyone else has given all the advice I would give. One more thing though...bacon is actually a fat not a protein in the paleo world and should be treated as a condiment. See the bacon manifesto on the blog. And yes, make sure your bacon is sugar and nasty additive free and from the very best source you can find.

I'm going to check with the farms at my farmer's market tomorrow morning.  There are a few that come each week.  What do I ask them?  Just if they add sugar??

Archived