Must Eat 3 Meals

knitkitty

Amy Kubal posted a wonderful post today on Robb Wolf's blog titled "What Kind of Hungry Are You?".

http://robbwolf.com/2013/08/14/kind-hungry-you/

In one part of the post, I got the impression that one should not eat if not physically hungry.  However, 

I thought I read in It Starts with Food that you should eat breakfast even if not hungry (something about re-setting leptin) and eating 3 meals a day. What if I am not hungry for a meal? Do you think it is OK to skiip so long as I eat a full meal (meat, veg, fat) when/if I get hungry and not slip into grazing?

what about the idea of intermittent fasting then? not something I have tried yet, am just coming to grips with 3 meals a day and no snacking and that feels good, but the thought of going without breakfast and not eating for 16 hours seems a long time to me, by that time I would be shaky for sure! I am fairly active, often run in the mornings so breakfast is v important to me

• Moderators

Intermittent fasting is out during a Whole30 because it is hard on hormonal rhythms. You need about a year of good living under your belt before testing IF. I tried IF last year. It was easy to fast 18 hours, but it disturbed my sleep. I stopped after several months and began to sleep better within days.

thank you Tom, that makes sense. I tried it a couple times a few weeks ago after friends recommended it (they have been very clean living for a couple years now) and it did not feel good- low blood sugar feelings. will continue this current journey, which is feeling pretty good right now.

Archived