Family of 7 - GAPS diet post Whole30 question

Hi!  Our whole family did a Whole30 back in May.  We did it, I was proud, all was well with the world.  Then, my husband got deathly sick.  He is a great body weight, never sick, and all of a sudden he crashed.  He was so inflammed he couldn't walk without help for 3 days. In all he lost over 30lbs in 3 weeks with diahrrea.   It was scary.  We were in Colorado for the summer, and recommended a great holistic dr.  He had my husband do straight bone broths, and tons of supplements until he started getting normal.  It worked.  I credit him for helping save my husband. 

We were all so impressed by our doctor that we all went and got checked out.  The diagnosis for most of us (we have 3 kids adopted from Ethiopia and have traveled there many times over the last 2 years-maybe the cause of some of our digestive issues) and we all have candida, leaky gut, food sensitivities, etc, etc.  We started the full GAPS diet on Saturday and it's Thursday.  I do not think we can do this any more.  I AM seeing results in one of my kids, but I'm pretty sure it's because I let him start having dairy again and that is probably a big no no for him.

I want to go back to paleo/whole30 eating.  I cook for all of us, and you know how hard Whole30 can be, right?  GAPS intro is worse.  Does anyone know of GAPS, have any suggestions?

I don't understand candida, but can't imagine my kids going without a piece of fruit or something sweetened just a bit with honey for 3 months.  They handled Whole30, they can do it, I just don't know if this is necessary.  Wouldn't following a strict paleo diet heal guts and get rid of candida?  Maybe taking probiotics and stuff along with it? 

Any insight would be appreciated.  

Hi Lana Lyon!

I am wondering what tests the NP gave you to diagnose candida, leaky gut, and food sensitivities? I had a similar experience to your husband's and it was after a trip to Panama. My GI doc gave me 3 parasite tests that didn't detect anything. I went to 3 naturopaths that all said I had leaky gut and food allergies and that was it. I got diagnosed with colitis and IBS. I kept trying GAPS, then SCD, etc. etc. With these diets, I was able to maintain better health. However, I was never completely better and I couldn't figure out why. It took a year and a half before someone finally gave me a USEFUL test and find a small parasite (if you want to know which one it was, just ask). I treated it with 3 rounds of antibiotics prescribed to me by a naturopath that specializes in parasitology. I have rarely used antibiotics in my entire life, but this was a miracle for me. At the end of the last round, I had all of my energy back and am slowly beginning to be able to add foods back in. I do take lots of supplements including homeopathics and probiotics under the care of a natural doctor, which helps with the healing process tremendously. 

Because this particular parasite does not die from diet and supplements alone, I required further diagnostics and treatment. Sometimes diet will help the process, but not always help treat the root cause. GAPS is a ton of work, especially the introduction diet, and it can get frustrating if you aren't seeing progress that you might want to see. Or at least that's how I felt. 

I guess the point of this is to just share my own experience in case it gives you a little insight. Not sure if it really pertains to your situation as of course, all of our gut environments are so different. It just makes me wonder because you all have been to Ethiopia several times it sounds like. 

Wishing good health to you and your family!

Personal opinion only.... I would get a second doctor opinion - preferably with a doctor who understands international travel etc.  And I personally wouldn't treat the children for symptoms they don't have.  If they are suffering the effects of candida, that's one thing, but I would go with your 'mother instinct' if you think they are doing worse on the GAPS diet... even in a few short days.

Some doctors (well, maybe all people) can become very tunnel visioned and only see the things that support their opinion - a cardiologist, neurologist and naturopath will all treat the same disease very differently based on their specialty and personal bias.

I had an experience like your husbands that lasted two weeks, and finally went to the emergency room when I was too weak to stand and was passing blood.  They had to run saline and antibiotics into me and finally discovered a parasite that normally is found in pork.  I hadn't eaten pork, that I could remember, for at least a week before the symptoms started.  Antibiotics got rid of it.  Sometimes you have to go the western medicine route...

I , too, have a family of seven, and I have considered GAPS for one of my children, and I decided that it would take so much effort, time and expense, that I would only do it if I was absolutely sure of its necessity. That said, I did decide to implement what I could to promote healing and encourage healthy flora.  I make bone broths regularly and incorporate broth in my cooking. I am making fermented vegetables. I see slow, but noticeable improvement in my child, and he is happy and mostly satisfied with his food.  One thing we can be sure of is that no mom or practitioner can ever know all the answers about the health of various foods and lifestyles, in all their complexity.  In my case, I have to fight the urge to try to achieve physical and mental perfection through total dietary righteousness. It's a vicious monkey; keep him off your back. God bless.

• 1 month later...

Archived