Turned off from food

Hi folks!
I'm on day 15 on the W30 and have been going through a weird problem: I am so turned off from food! I did a W30 in January and didn't have this issue. I'll get so creative with my meals and then I take a bite or two and I am repulsed. Foods that I used to love or eat without any thought feel like torture to me now.

I feel like I'd rather starve than eat anymore. I use plenty of fats and make delicious noms! I just don't know why I am feeling like I can't eat. No, I'm not pregnant. I am not sick either and drink plenty kombucha and water so I think my probiotics are in tune. I haven't really been having cravings for anything but today especially I just want to give up so bad and order some sushi rolls. 

A typical day for me is:
Breakfast - lots of lox with avocado, tomatoes, cukes or 2 eggs with a sausage (from WF).

Lunch- leftovers or a hearty salad with some kind of protein, lots of veggies, avo, sweet potatoes olive oil and balsamic

Dinner - sauteed shrimp in olive oil, capers, garlic, red peppers with a side of sauteed spinach or a grilled sirloin with a side salad and side of sweet potato hash browns. 

I feel very full when I eat and am seldom hungry.

I found this post from a year ago about my same issue but I feel I'm eating enough, I just get so turned off and force it down  :( http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1917-turned-off-by-food/

Any suggestions? It's really bumming me out because I know the results after 30 days are great!

No answers. Similar boat. Was suggested elsewhere (obliquely) that hormones are possibly our of order. But that said, I may ave misunderstood. Soo.... I have nothing valuable to add. I am wanting to know moderator input as am in same situation as mentioned. Hope mod.(s) se this soon and reply

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update that it's day 27 and this weird aversion went away after a few days. I just realized I no longer like shrimp and have been cooking lots of sweet potatoes and lovely grass-fed steaks instead and have been happy as pie! Not sure what this was all about but I struggled through and am happy I did! 

Renee, I did go out with a friend and enjoyed some hand rolls with salmon avo and coconut aminos :) Thanks!

I actually started my period the day before my W30 (that was awful) and this 'aversion' was about halfway through for a few days. I am glad to be on day 28 and haven't had this since. I'm guessing it was some psychological aversion because I was daydreaming about eating a very bad sushi roll deep fried in tempura and wanted to just not eat at all.

My appetite has disappeared altogether. I'm not interested in b'fast's (tho I know if I don't eat I'll get dizzy spells, so i try to eat something) & Tues night was the only time I've eaten dinner this week (mostly because I was out with friends & felt obligated to eat with everyone (Whole30 approved meal of course)). I eat lunch cos I know my body needs fuel but I'm not actually interested in what I'm eating.

I'm on Day 12 now & this has been getting worse since Monday (Day 8). I'm getting tired & under extra stress atm - my normal response to stress would be to have a binge (varying in scope depending on other stressors), but now I'm not interested in food. This has NEVER happened to me before (kinda scaring me a little).

I'm wondering if that's normal?

Any suggestions on re-establishing a healthy appetite?

I've never had trouble eating before, never had any eating disorders, etc. At first I thought it was just my body adapting to the changes in diet, but now I'm not sure.
I'm going to try setting alarms to remind me to eat something regularly & also pre-cook a series of reheat-able meals so there is always something to be had irrespective of interest/tiredness. Any other idea's?

Sahm -

While it's not super common, some people do experience this. They find it goes away after a few days of regular (if small) meals.  When I get this way, I choose foods that are cold and easy to eat like cold chicken or steak, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc. A few meals of these foods and my appetite generally returns. Also, if you are not very active, try consciously increasing your activity levels for a few days and see if that brings your appetite back.

I'm sort of experiencing this (I've just started though, finished day 5) but my problem is that I'm sick of eating meat and eggs already.

Tomorrow I'm planning on having sashimi for lunch for a change to see if that helps, but today I felt really turned off my my turkey sausage/sweet potato hash and egg breakfast and then later on in the day more turkey and brussels sprouts. I felt like I had to force it all down.

I felt this way when I first started Atkins in 2003.  I know it will pass, but as I said in my intro post, eating feels joyless right now.

I'm having the same experience, and I am on Day 10.  Eggs literally repulse me, and greens have been making me gag- even after working out (5+ mile run), I have to force myself to eat.  No, not pregnant :-)

I hadn't thought of sashimi or the coconut aminos, I'll give those a try. I'm hungry for lunch and sometimes breakfast, just not for things I can have.  I don't crave anything in paticular, I am just turned off by the food in front of me.

A question for the mods and more experienced folks....is it ok to just wait until you feel hungry? I'm on day 10 (or day 40, I guess) and for the first time I just don't feel hungry at lunch time today.

I'd like to become more in tune with my body and feed it when it wants feeding. Is it ok during W30 to just...wait? 

Not a mod - but I wouldn't do that (wait till you're hungry).  I am a big believer in following your bodies cues for hunger and fullness... but your body doesn't know how to tell you that after 10 days when you've eaten SAD for many years.

I was never interested in breakfast  - just finished 40 days and only a handful of them did I look forward to eating my breakfast.  But I am a serious carb addict... so I would have eaten a bagel in a second if that was a choice.  The appetite suppressant effect of the protein and fat plus the cravings for anything other than what was compliant... made me uninterested in my meals on various days.  Even later days like 28!

Nonetheless, i cooked and usually found a way to eat a regular (or slightly smaller) meal.

I don't believe in forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry.  But I do think if you want your hormones / blood sugar to habituate to 3 meals a day without bingeing, snacking, crashing or craving... you have to coax it along by feeding it on the schedule.  We do it with babies and pets and with our sleep schedule too.

So go ahead and make a compliant meal.  If you can't finish it, save it as you may need it for a mini meal or pre/post workout snack.  Again I wouldn't FORCE yourself to eat.  But simple 'disinterest' or no tummy growling (when it's been 4+ hours since your last meal) is just an effect of your body wanting to wait for the easier sugar carb fest it believes you will go back to soon :)

Just my opinion :)

Plus another reason why many 'bad for you' diets work short term and ruin your metabolism long term is that you get so sick of your options you eat less and less in quantity.  This is something you really want to avoid on the whole30... so it means you really have to research and get creative with trying new stuff.  I never thought I liked cabbage, but have found new ways to cook it and went through a phase of eating it every day.  I love sweet potatos... but I'm starting to avoid them... so I'm experimenting with other winter squash so i don't go off them altogether.

Thanks for your perspective! I did end up eating my salad because I know I need fuel no matter what. I have the rest of my work day, and then class until 7pm or so. There's no way I can make it that long.

I'm sure looking forward to the day when my system trusts me and I trust it! 

I'm with you there, misshannah, I am doing whole30 to get my hypoglycemia in check and I am very much looking forward to the point when my body self-stabilizes.  Good luck to you!  I can't imagine doing this with school and work... I would be one grumpy gus :-)  You are doing a longer than 30 Whole30, correct?

I too am experiencing this. I am missing "lighter" meals. I am cooking all my veggies (IBS) and miss just having a quick piece of fruit or bowl of cereal. This morning I dumped unsweetened applesauce on my turkey sausage and turnip fritter so I could eat it. I also am not feeling "mentally satisfied" ith my meals, they are nutritionally satisfying but leave me feeling unsettled I guess. Been feeling antsy after dinner instead of fulfilled. On day 17 today, thought I'd be farther along in my head than this by now...thinking I will need more than 30 days.....

The way I generally handle not being hungry is this: For meal 1 I eat something within an hour of waking no matter how I feel about it. Even if it is a smaller meal. Often when I start eating in the morning I realize I am hungry. For other meals if it has been 5-6 hours and I still don't feel hungry I eat anyway. On days when I need to stick to a schedule I just eat with the longest increments possible. If you can't finish your entire meal save the leftovers for a mini meal, but make sure you graze the entire plate (don't just eat the protein and decide you are too full for the veggies). What you most want to avoid is getting so hungry that you make a bad decision. This rarely happens to me anymore but when it does it sucks.

If you feel turned off by food maybe look for some new recipes and try to find something you are excited about. If you eat the same thing all the time it can get boring. Try to mix up your protein and veggie sources too both for mental variety and nutrient variety. 

I am hungry when I sit down to eat but a few bites in and I'm FEELING done. I'm sure it's mental! I don't have much variety, trying reduce FODMAPS, nightshades, raw veggies and eggs. I don't like seafood or fish and not a fan of pork so mostly chicken and beef for me. I am trying new recipes but I'm not a very good cook so when it doesn't turn out well it's also discouraging.

Yeah I get the same way. I have an appetite but I just don't want the food I'm eating. Like I brought spaghetti squash with marinara sauce as par of my lunch today and I started almost gagging after just a few bites. I ate the rest of my lunch but it wasn't enough. I'm still hungry but not hungry enough to bust out the rest of the squash. Ugh.

I am hungry when I sit down to eat but a few bites in and I'm FEELING done. I'm sure it's mental! I don't have much variety, trying reduce FODMAPS, nightshades, raw veggies and eggs. I don't like seafood or fish and not a fan of pork so mostly chicken and beef for me. I am trying new recipes but I'm not a very good cook so when it doesn't turn out well it's also discouraging.

I didn't used to like any seafood but I've taught myself to like it more. Can you do canned salmon or tuna with lots of mayo? Have you tried lamb or other game meats? What cookbooks do you have or are you mostly going off the internet? Cooking takes practice for sure. I don't consider myself a very good cook either so I try to stick to recipes that don't seem daunting. 

Yeah I get the same way. I have an appetite but I just don't want the food I'm eating. Like I brought spaghetti squash with marinara sauce as par of my lunch today and I started almost gagging after just a few bites. I ate the rest of my lunch but it wasn't enough. I'm still hungry but not hungry enough to bust out the rest of the squash. Ugh.

How mushy was your spaghetti squash? I find I don't like it unless it is still a bit crunchy so I purposefully undercook mine a little so it is more like al dente pasta.

I have Well Fed and Practical Paleo but many recipes are heavy on nightshades. I also check out paleOMG and nom nom paleo,online. Looks like I should try some game meats for more variety. I can eat canned tuna every now and then. I tried to steam salmon (feeling adventurous) and I couldn't even take one bite, the SMELL, awful! Lol! (Worse than a child I am)

I'm still hanging in...going to browse my cookbooks agin and see whst I can try.

Thanks

Archived