Turned off from food

I'm slightly sensitive to nightshades but I do believe all of the recipes in Practical Paleo give you options if you are avoiding nightshades. That is the cookbook I started with. She has some really good lamb recipes if you want to try them. Her salmon burgers are really good too. I had to graduate up to non-canned fish myself. I've never steamed my fish, I always bake it or pan fry/grill it. I also surprisingly like scallops. A little like mozzarella cheese in texture. The PP scallops recipe is a bit fidgety. Last time I made it I didn't do the sauce. I think the Thanksgiving Stuffing meatballs are nightshade free and I swear they are like crack to me. If you don't want to try them with pork I'm sure they would taste good with ground chicken or beef. I wouldn't use ground turkey because the low fat content would make them too dry I think. 

I've tried the spaghetti squash both ways. My first whole30, I did it like once a week and it wasn't appealing ever but I could get through it no problem. But this time around, I don't know what the difference is. I just don't want it. After a few bites, I'm just done. So I'll just take it out of the rotation and that's fine but I'm already so limited by finances and pickiness.

I can't do fish. At all. I've tried and tried and maybe I just don't know how to cook it well or whatever but at this point, it's a waste of money to even bother with it because I've not once made it through a whole serving without getting nauseated.

I know all the organ meat is supposed to be amazing but I can't get there either. And with my budget, there's a lot of ground meat happening which just gets kind of monotonous. But oh well. It is what it is I guess. Hopefully I'll get more and more acclimated as I go. I mean I've come a long way considering a few years ago I could easily go MONTHS without any vegetable touching my plate besides potatoes.

Just keep trying things again and again. It takes time. I've yet to cook organ meat yet but I've heard the easiest way to get started is to grind it up and add it to another ground meat to make meatballs or something similar. Took me a long time to like fish as I posted above. Most of the time I get canned tuna and canned wild caught salmon and mix with mayo. I like to eat on well salted cucumber slices, but would be good in lettuce wraps as well.

As the weather cools off lots of opportunities to try cheaper cuts of meats in the crock pot. Whatever you can do to make it interesting do it. Learning to cook is a process...just keep trying!

For me, if fish is overcooked, it gets SO fishy, I just can't stand to eat it. So maybe do a little research on how to cook fish. I also keep to salmon generally, but I live in AZ so I am veeery picky about my fish (grew up in CA). Fish shouldn't smell when it's raw (other than a light, almost sweet, slightly fish like smell). I cook my salmon, skin on (full of great oils) in a medium-low pan, skin side down, for about 10-15 minutes... you don't want the skin to burn, so keep it low, but you don't want it to stew, so keep it higher. You've gotta just watch it. Or if you have a griddler or foreman grill, do about 5-6 minutes with the salmon. I just season with salt, that's it. 

As Physibeth said, the crock pot is a great, almost fool proof cooking method. Fatty pork roasts and beef roasts (with lots of connective tissue) are great in the crock pot, give you a lot of food, don't take much doing, and tend to be cheaper. I watch the sales. I cut up two potatoes (of whatever sort... I use red potatoes on the bottom, and my hubby just eats them), put them on the bottom of the crock pot, then put a frozen roast (yes, frozen) on top of it, cover, and let go on low while I'm at work. No liquid, nothing. It's like a little mini oven. Again, here in AZ, you don't turn on the oven but maybe once a month from April-October. When I'm not whole30-ing, covering it in a mix of fig butter/jam and whole grain mustard is great. Or a can of diced tomatoes, plus a packet of (entirely non-compliant) Lipton onion soup mix, and some worchestershire. For whole 30, you can do an herb mix, or a spice rub (mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin), or compliant mustard and a little applesauce. If you find it's not flavorful enough, make a pesto or some other kind of dipping sauce, and go to town. I put my roasts in scrambles, over salads, on its own with sweet potato and veg. When you find a roast with enough fat, it self bastes, and the connective tissue breaks down into luscious soft collagen and is so tasty.

Speaking of the frozen thing - so I buy roasts when they're on sale, not necessarily when I want them, then pop them in the freezer. For cooking it while I'm at work (about 10 hours), I usually find that if I start with a non-frozen roast, it gets over done (meat gets mushy, etc). But starting from frozen, it's perfect. And remember, no liquid! 

:D

• 5 years later...
On 8/29/2013 at 6:48 PM, Sahm said:

My appetite has disappeared altogether. I'm not interested in b'fast's (tho I know if I don't eat I'll get dizzy spells, so i try to eat something) & Tues night was the only time I've eaten dinner this week (mostly because I was out with friends & felt obligated to eat with everyone (Whole30 approved meal of course)). I eat lunch cos I know my body needs fuel but I'm not actually interested in what I'm eating.

I'm on Day 12 now & this has been getting worse since Monday (Day 8). I'm getting tired & under extra stress atm - my normal response to stress would be to have a binge (varying in scope depending on other stressors), but now I'm not interested in food. This has NEVER happened to me before (kinda scaring me a little).

I'm wondering if that's normal?

This is me. It's day four round 1. All I feel like eating is fruit but in my head im thinking this is not the whole 30. Im struggling.. Just like I've struggled with every other food modifcations I've tried. I have a history of ED. The thought of any whole 30 food makes me sick to my stomach. Fruit may be my only option now. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jill9802 said:

This is me. It's day four round 1. All I feel like eating is fruit but in my head im thinking this is not the whole 30. Im struggling.. Just like I've struggled with every other food modifcations I've tried. I have a history of ED. The thought of any whole 30 food makes me sick to my stomach. Fruit may be my only option now. 

Are you seeing someone to help with the ED? You may want to touch base with them, or with another trusted doctor or counselor type person in your life.

Whole30 is meant to make you healthier. If it is not doing that for you, which it sounds like it isn't, this may not be a good time for you to try it, or it may just not be the right program for you to do at all. 

This has a little more about trying to do whole30 when you have a history of ED:   https://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/

26 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Are you seeing someone to help with the ED? You may want to touch base with them, or with another trusted doctor or counselor type person in your life.

Whole30 is meant to make you healthier. If it is not doing that for you, which it sounds like it isn't, this may not be a good time for you to try it, or it may just not be the right program for you to do at all. 

This has a little more about trying to do whole30 when you have a history of ED:   https://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/

Thanks a lot. I don't have one now but definitely would say I've got some disordered eating things going on bc of having an ED in highschool. I'm in my 30s. I really wanted this to work bc every other food modifcation plan had been such a struggle. I see the holistic nutritionist in a week and will discuss. I think I'm also hormonal so maybe everything is just that, idk. I see a therapist as often as I can, but haven't seen her since I started, but not seeing her was beyond my control. I read the links and they're helpful, thank you ❤️

Archived