Anxiously & Nervously Starting Sun, Aug 18th

JessiB

I am a mom, wife and teacher.  I am a fast food lover, chocolate snacker, pop drinking, carb queen.  I come from a family that didn't eat many fruits/veggies growing up.  It's time to change some habits and my cousin told me about this month-long plan.  

I am most nervous about:
1 - temptations for bad snacks,

2 - not looking like a fool in the natural food grocery store as I try to find foods,

3 - figuring out WHAT in the world to make for 3 meals a day,

4 - missing out on memorable food: state fair tradition, labor day with the family, etc

5 - eating at a restaurant or someone else's house and learning how to stay on the plan

I am most excited about:

1 - challenging myself to stick with something for 30 days

2 - helping my digestion and figuring out what causes my post-meal stomach aches that come 5-8 times a week.

3 - watching my body change: stomach bloating, energy levels and more

4 - doing this along with my husband and our two girls who are 3.5 years and 22 months.

Thanks for your support! 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on Day 27, and I promise you - you can do this! If I can do this, anyone can do it. I was so worried about all the same things. I kept wanting to delay my start so I wouldn't have to miss any of those memorable foods. In the end, I read ISWF and then just went for it. I have Crohn's Disease, and my symptoms started to disappear within a week. I used to get stomach aches after almost every meal -- they were just a part of life for me. Now I feel great after every meal. What a difference! It is incredibly motivating when you start to feel better, and it makes all those sugary snacks feel like an enemy to avoid at all costs.

There will be temptation, but you are stronger than whatever is in front of you.

And you will not look like a fool in the natural foods store. Buy a copy of Well Fed and peruse nomnompaleo.com. I was totally shocked at the number of amazing paleo recipe sites on the Internet, most of which have compliant recipes (or recipes that can be altered slightly to be compliant). My family has eaten better this month than we have in a long time -- everything I have made has been so tasty and the kids have eaten it all alongside us.

As far as restaurant eating goes, that is a huge challenge. I only eat Kosher meat and poultry and hate all fish, so eating out is basically impossible. So I bring a container of sliced, grilled organic chicken whenever we are eating outside the house. I can always get a big salad with olive oil and vinegar and then throw the chicken on top.

These 30 days have been an amazing gift to myself - I have learned a ton, become a much better cook, and I am feeling ridiculously good.

Enjoy your Whole 30. It won't always be easy, but it is so worthwhile. Good luck!!

^^ Ditto, If I can do it anyone can!  The 30 days for me was a given.  It's the after 30 days when I want to be the low carb no junk food person that was scaring me! Not so much anymore because now I know if I can do this....I can do that too!

My cravings were not as bad as I thought they would be.  I went in with an attitude of "look at the good food I'm eating" as opposed to "Oh no....I can't have ice cream for a month??"  Then when I did get a craving all I thought of was "Frankenfood" who wants that?  I have Atkins and Kirkland shakes I'm looking to get rid of because seriously?  I can't pronounce half the ingredients in them.

Whole food, read, learn and even watch you tube videos of people cooking paleo or cooking for the whole 30.  They're out there!

I won't lie, getting through the first 10 days was tough.  I felt crappy, then good, then crappy.  I was tired.  Be strong and keep your eye on the prize.  A happier healthier you!!

I bought It Starts With Food today and I'm excited to read more about the background of it all.  I also made the adventure to the natural food store in town.  To my surprise a lot of the meat I was trying to find was not organic.  I guess I just naively assumed that the entire store was organic.  The sticker shock on some prices was a little hard to swallow too!  

What pieces do you buy organic and what other items do you just buy at a regular grocery store that doesn't really need to be labeled organic?

My name is jennifer and I will be starting tomorrow Aug. 18 and I am really nervous. I am a huge snacker and I love my icecream after dinner. I am a mom of 2 and I work parttime and go to school parttime. I am looking for some ideas for pre and post workouts meals! Good luck everyone!

My name is jennifer and I will be starting tomorrow Aug. 18 and I am really nervous. I am a huge snacker and I love my icecream after dinner. I am a mom of 2 and I work parttime and go to school parttime. I am looking for some ideas for pre and post workouts meals! Good luck everyone!

Hi Jennifer!

Pre and postWO is easy :)

Protein/fat for before training - HB eggs are perfect, or some meat/tin of fish with avo or mayo. I go for the eggs as they're easy to have ready.

Lean protein/starchy vegies for after training - I go for some chicken breast and pieces of sweet potato.

Today is my Day One too! It's good to see a few others with the same starting date. I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'm optimistic this time around, I tried this January 1, 2012 and made it a week and a half before I gave in to my spoiled inner child and caved at birthday party.

Now that she's been properly silenced, I've come around to do this again "for reals" this time. 

A bit about me: I'm a SAHM to 3 (23, 6 and 7). I'll be doing this alone for now, hopefully my oldest and DH will see the benefits through my progress and join me--I'm figuring it will be a bit more than a Whole 30...45? 60?  My plan is to not make separate dinners, kid breakfasts and lunches will kind of depend.

Why a Whole30 for me? I've never been a truly healthy person. I was sickly, premature baby that grew into an overweight child, that grew into a super morbidly obese adult. I resorted to weight loss surgery and shrunk to a plain old obese adult ^_^. I have diabetes that controlled by diet (but my blood sugar spikes dangerously high if I eat too many processed carbs). I've got mildly elevated blood pressure and my cholesterol ratio is off even thought my overall numbers are good. I want to use the next 30 or so days to make this way of eating MY way of eating. I want to reach for good food instead of being tempted by the other stuff. I want my kidlets to understand the connection between food and health. I foresee my entire family eating a real food diet. But, I've got to pave the way. 

I'll gladly suck up all the knowledge and support from anybody that wants to throw some my way :D

Tracy

Thankyou amber for the food suggestions :). Tracy I wasnt sure how my family was going to adjust to the change and even though this is day 1 I actually started making changes slowly to our meals a few months ago so it wasnt a shocker. my kids are cereal eaters so they will continue with their own breakfasts but as far as lunch and dinner they will have whatever I make for them. The biggest shock for me is my husband who has jumped on board he has never joined me on anything like this. My day has not gone like i planned for it to but i was able to adjust my meals and so far so good :)

I bought It Starts With Food today and I'm excited to read more about the background of it all.  I also made the adventure to the natural food store in town.  To my surprise a lot of the meat I was trying to find was not organic.  I guess I just naively assumed that the entire store was organic.  The sticker shock on some prices was a little hard to swallow too!  

What pieces do you buy organic and what other items do you just buy at a regular grocery store that doesn't really need to be labeled organic?

You don't have to buy organic meat or produce, you just have to buy meat and produce.  :D   I did not find a reliable and cost-effective source of grass-fed beef until almost a year after starting Whole30.  (I'm glad I have a source now, but it didn't derail my progress not to have it.)  I buy very little organic produce, though I am fortunate enough to have several sources for local produce - but they may not technically/legally qualify as organic.  Basically, you want compliant and you want something that fits with your budget.  For me it was a huuuuuuuuuuuuge change and it has taken a long time to alter my kitchen to fit Whole30 eating.  Just buying meat and veggies was a big enough change at first.  :lol:

Happy Day One to all the folks on this thread just starting out! :wub:

Finished with Day 2.  It hasn't been too difficult yet, but my inner snacker has been tempted.  Not drinking pop has been a little hard because I love a Mountain Dew or Pepsi in the afternoon.  

I had my first trip to our regular grocery store yesterday (withOUT kids) and really spent a lot of time going up and down the aisles reading labels.  Would you believe that I never really read a label before?  I was shocked...SHOCKED at how many things I usually have in my cupboard include sugar.  Before I left, I found this and thought it was helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h824bqZekK4

Day 1: Meal #1: Eggs with broccoli and spinach in Coconut oil.  Meal #2: Knock off of this using ingredients we had: paleosavvy.com/easy-paleo-chili/ Meal #3: Leftover lunch.

Day 2: Meal #1: Bacon (without nitrates-it was hard to find!), sweet potato hash with eggs.  It did NOT turn out as wonderful as the pictures.  I'll have to try again.  nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs Meal #2: Leftover chili.  (THIS was a hard meal!  I forgot my lunch at home and it was soo tempting not to just swing by fast food when my tummy was rumbling around 2pm!)  Meal #3: Crockpot chicken fajitas: http://chompingdaily.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-make-whole-30-crockpot-chicken.html?showComment=1376882574850#c7599134235056700836

Anyone else have some good recipes to share?

Thankyou amber for the food suggestions :). Tracy I wasnt sure how my family was going to adjust to the change and even though this is day 1 I actually started making changes slowly to our meals a few months ago so it wasnt a shocker. my kids are cereal eaters so they will continue with their own breakfasts but as far as lunch and dinner they will have whatever I make for them. The biggest shock for me is my husband who has jumped on board he has never joined me on anything like this. My day has not gone like i planned for it to but i was able to adjust my meals and so far so good :)

So great to have the hubby on board!  Mine is too and I am grateful to be doing this alongside him!

Finished with Day 2. It hasn't been too difficult yet, but my inner snacker has been tempted. Not drinking pop has been a little hard because I love a Mountain Dew or Pepsi in the afternoon.

I had my first trip to our regular grocery store yesterday (withOUT kids) and really spent a lot of time going up and down the aisles reading labels. Would you believe that I never really read a label before? I was shocked...SHOCKED at how many things I usually have in my cupboard include sugar. Before I left, I found this and thought it was helpful:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h824bqZekK4

Day 1: Meal #1: Eggs with broccoli and spinach in Coconut oil. Meal #2: Knock off of this using ingredients we had: paleosavvy.com/easy-paleo-chili/ Meal #3: Leftover lunch.

Day 2: Meal #1: Bacon (without nitrates-it was hard to find!), sweet potato hash with eggs. It did NOT turn out as wonderful as the pictures. I'll have to try again. nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs Meal #2: Leftover chili. (THIS was a hard meal! I forgot my lunch at home and it was soo tempting not to just swing by fast food when my tummy was rumbling around 2pm!) Meal #3: Crockpot chicken fajitas: http://chompingdaily.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-make-whole-30-crockpot-chicken.html?showComment=1376882574850#c7599134235056700836

Anyone else have some good recipes to share?

To make it easier, your bacon doesn't need to be nitrate free....it's sulphites that are the issue! If you can find compliant sulphite, sugar, everything else non-compliant free bacon with nitrates...eat it!!! :)

Jessi B Thanks for posting recipes ! I dont have anything to post right now because i have been eating kind of boring but Im going to spend today searching the internet so I will post if I find anything that looks yummy!! I think the hardest part of this for me is the not snacking. I knew i was a snacker but now im realizing its out of boredom but its still been hard to stop.I also miss having a coke, i never drank the whole thing sometimes just having a drink would make me happy so im trying to get passed that. good luck to you today!

Amberino thanks for the heads up on the bacon because I also have been eating nitrate free bacon and it took me forever to find!!!

Day 21 for me and all good.  We love the No-Fuss Salmon Cakes in 'It Starts with Food'.

Other all time favorite is Cauliflower Couscous.  Just grind florets of a cauliflower to small crumbs in a food processor, like rice.

Saute onion, garlic chopped nuts and spices - turmeric and curry.  Add some olive oil and stir in the cauliflower till

just heated through, still crunchy. A squeeze of lemon juice, S&P, and bit of parsley to serve. Yum

Day 3 and my husband is starting to be remorseful about joining in.  He has breakfast and then is 'starving' by 9am.  He had 3 eggs with veggies this morning.  What more could we eat in the morning?  Anything other than eggs?  I'm a little egg'ed out :)

I have 3 eggs...with vegies...and fat... He needs more to eat!! My husband has 4 eggs, plus some chicken in an omelette with mushrooms, then vegies on the side with mayo :)

You can eat whatever you like for "meal one"! Have leftovers from dinner if you want- saves cooking again in the morning!

Isn't it weird how people can eat bagels or cereal day after day... but we all get 'egged out'?

I've finally come around to leftovers for breakfast.  I would be sure you both are getting enough fat and carby vegs (sweet potato / squash).  Add sweet potato hash and / or some kind of guacamole to breakfast with either more eggs or meat instead.  This morning I had eggs, cabbage and macadamia nuts. Weird, but good.

I never get egged out. I love eggs. When I found out I could eat them every day I was THRILLED. But perhaps I'm weird.

That said I'm 5'4" and I eat 4 eggs with veggies and added fat (usually compliant bacon omnomnom) most mornings. He definitely needs a bigger breakfast with more of everything.

1 - Don't worry too much about this one, because once you get the hang of it you won't be hungry between meals.  But you will have cravings.... you'll beat them!

2 - Please.  You're the customer.  Find the manager and make him help you find each and every item.  Besides, have you been in many health food stores?  All are completely different so EVERYONE has to ask.

3. Two sites - nomnom paleo and The clothes make the girl.  And maybe Paleo Parents for kid food ideas.

4.  Labor Day and the State Fair come EVERY year.  Pinky Promise. THIS year you will bring your own snacks and food to share.  You can do lots of approved 'fun food'  and picnic food.  Meat on a Stick!  Meatza Pizza!  Hamburgers w/o the bun! Chicken Salad (learn to make mayo if you don't now... totally awesome after years of avoiding it...)

5 - THIS.... THIS is the hardest one.  Honestly, I haven't cracked it yet beyond .... avoiding eating out and at others houses.  In restaurants the trouble is they cook with seed and soybean oils... and other people aren't always open to a long list of dietary requirements.  But other people will have ideas... and I'm sure Melissa has a post or two on this....

I am a mom, wife and teacher.  I am a fast food lover, chocolate snacker, pop drinking, carb queen.  I come from a family that didn't eat many fruits/veggies growing up.  It's time to change some habits and my cousin told me about this month-long plan.  

I am most nervous about:
1 - temptations for bad snacks,

2 - not looking like a fool in the natural food grocery store as I try to find foods,

3 - figuring out WHAT in the world to make for 3 meals a day,

4 - missing out on memorable food: state fair tradition, labor day with the family, etc

5 - eating at a restaurant or someone else's house and learning how to stay on the plan

OOF - Today was HAAAARD!  

Day 4 and I think I hit my Sugar Shock!  Withdrawal was probably taking over me today.  

I was kind of crabby this morning...didn't want to have eggs again and when I gave my girls cereal it was torture.  (Why did I do that to myself?)  For lunch I just stared at my bare cupboard (I put away all of the suger-filled, non-compliant food and it's pretty sparse!)...then I just stared at the fridge and didn't want to have beef/chicken with veggies again.  I don't know why but the leftover stew for lunch just wasn't tasting good at all and I ended up not eating much.  Around 3:00 I think my blood sugar (?) was off balanced because I started to feel a little woozy and sick to my stomach.  I had some green beans and black berries and tried to drink more water.  

The lack of variety and quick grab food is starting to be hard for me.  Sometimes it is a hectic morning and I don't want to take 30 mins to prepare and eat a nice breakfast at the table (sad, right?).  

Trying to stay positive and clinging to the quote from ISWF "THIS is not hard.  Beating cancer is hard.  Quitting heroine is hard.  30 days is not hard."  

First week is the hardest, right?

Archived