Triathlon Teacher's First Whole30+

sheba-kitty

I have been logging in my fitbit journal...but found these forums and thought the extra accountability might be good!

First who I am and why I am doing this...

46 year old middle school art teacher. (Love it, yes I am crazy!) I am an artist and dog mommy! I love to garden and READ!

I have been doing triathalon since 2009. You can read about that journey here http://shebaduhkitty.sweat365.com/ Inspired by my younger brother who lost and kept off 80 lbs and is now an ironman and a Whole30 and paleo person.

In 2011, my husband and I embarked on one of our dreams and opened a restaurant. We served gourmet burgers made from organic game meats, (elk, llama, venison, emu, bison, kangaroo, and more!) it was well recieved, but not enough money to keep it afloat, after a year and a half we closed our doors in December 2012. We had a period of NOT WANTING TO COOK ANYTHING! having had to cook for others for so long... And so we ate fast food crap, sat around moping and packed on the pounds.

I have been overweight now since I hit my 30's mostly avoiding my family obesity issue until then... But now I am at my highest ever... Narrowly hitting the 200 mark at only 5'1'.

My brother and his wife and a few other friends decided to start a Whole30 on August 1st. They mentioned it to me ON the first... Wasn't really mentally ready to go full program so I started by elimintating some things on the same day to move forward.

I had been reading “It Starts with Food†and baby-stepping into the Whole30 since August 1st… but finally finishing the book I see why I need to do the full program. I have already been feeling some positive results. Most noticeably my sugar cravings are down and I am down 4 pounds.

So August 11 I started the full whole30.

Re: Sugar or any fake or processed or “healthy†versions of sugar… I had been eliminating all sweets and dessert type snacks since Aug 1, but haven't been a stickler about sugar added to the things I am buying. So now I have to bring my glasses to the grocery store so I can read the ingredients before I buy things. I sorted the pantry and got rid of a ton of stuff... Dividing the food into safe and not safe foods.

Re: BOOZE I might whine about missing my wine! but haven't had any since Aug 1, and that's going OK. However, this week is that ONE week a month that I really, really “need†my wine and chocolate. (Ladies, you know what I mean) so this will be a BIG test of the claims regarding this program. But so far I have been managing the cravings.

Re: Grains… no gluten has already been happening since Aug 1, with 2 little slips... but I have been having rice and some other substitutes. SO NOW it is no grains of any kind! This will be a big life change for sure. My husband is part Asian, so lots of rice and soy sauce in our regular diet.

Re: DAIRY… a HUGE change for me!!!! I have been weaning myself off the stuff since Aug 1. I had a serving or less per day which was already a HUGE reduction. But the book really showed me some science-y stuff that seems to indicate DAIRY is messing up my system big time! Especially with my thyroid issues… I hope to smooth out the hormonal thing with this plan and dairy is at the top of the list for hormone disruptors. But I have already decided that when I finish the program, strong, tasty cheeses will be the first thing I try to add back. I have been struggling with what to put in my coffee... Big milk in the coffee person. I have tried coconut oil, almond milk and cocnut cream. None of them really cut it for me. So instead I tried different types of coffee... Black. And have decided that I just dont really need coffee that bad! Switching to tea maybe.

Re: Legumes… I didn't think I was a huge fan of beans, but now that I am cutting them out I realize how often I do eat them. Especially in my Mexican foods!

Re: Fake replacements of snacks or desserts with Paleo approved ingredients. this is a little annoying BUT ALSO WISE! because when I do recipe searches online that seems to be what everyone is making… Paleo chocolate chip cookies. I can imagine myself eating WAY too many of those!

Re: NO weigh-ins: the goal is reshaping the food-relationship which is of course deeply tied to my weight and body image issues. so ONE set of pictures and measurements happened on Aug 11 and then I hide the scale. This will be a tough one, probably the hardest of them all… as I do tend to weigh myself daily! but it will be a good habit to break. I asked the hubby to help and he took out the batteries and hid them.

So far the program DOES require planning and some creativity and being open minded about new veggies and food combinations. BUT all the food I have made has been tasty and filling! My brother and I got together last sunday and did a weeks worth of cooking. That has been a huge help.

The most awesome thing is that as I have been cooking a ton of awesome new foods... The hubby has decided that this way of eating sounds smart. So he is -mostly- joining me. He is not going to be as strict, but making foods we can both eat when he cooks and not bringing the bad crap into the house... And not suggesting our weekly pizza delivery! So that will help me out a lot!

So thats enough for now... Looking for support! Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some non scale victories already...

Waking up with out the alarm, early, and not needing coffee to get my day Started.

Taste buds renewing... The tip of my tounge (the area that does the sweet tasting) has been extra tingly and sensitive the past couple days.

Naturally wanting to drink lots of water... Which is not normally something I want to drink

Eating one plate of food and feeling satisfied instead of wanting, needing or craving a big second plate and then ending up feeling bloated after eating too much.

Getting creative with new veggies and recipes.

Passing up on sweets at a function and not having to do a ton of self-talk to do it.

Not leaning on the wine and chocolate crutch during my emotional and crampy mentrual week

Hubby Getting on board with plan after me just doing a few days

Some struggles

Not having the energy to do my normal workouts

Getting sick and tired of doing so many dishes

Still having bloating/gas issues... Feels like more not less than before

Costing so much money and going to the store more often to keep stocked in these new foods

17 days now without sugary sweets and treats including wine…

7 days of offical Whole 30 meals… No dairy, grains, sugar, booze, legumes or paleo cheater foods.

I am feeling pretty good. Maybe a little extra sleepy… Went to bed at 11:30pm which is actually pretty late for me and woke up at 6am for a short period, then crashed again until 10:30am. I haven't slept in that late all summer. 7:30am is my natural wake up time for most of the summer and no later than 10pm usually to go to bed. So last night was a little odd.

I JUST signed up for the Whole 30 daily motivational emails. So the emails are on day one, although I am on day 7... I still figure it can't hurt.

One of the Day One activities is to set some goals.

The TEMPERANCE category is striking me… So I want to make a fully unplugged day… I am on my ipad/facebook/games with the TV playing in the background… Way too much. So I am going to make Sunday an unplugged day. With one caveat, I know that will also be my cooking day and most of my recipies are online or on apps… That I can use the ipad for THAT PURPOSE ONLY!

The NUTRITION category is of course what the whole plan is focused on… But I also need to change the HOW of my eating. So my goal in this area is that I will clear off the dining room table of junk and keep it cleared off for meals. This might be tricky, since a lot of the junk is Shawn's so I will have to make a special spot for him to put his junk. So eating on a nice table, with the TV OFF, for at least 4 dinners a week.

Last category that I am going to set a goal in is EXERCISE. My goal is to get back in my habit of setting my workout plans for the week and holding to them! I used to do that all the time and it helped a lot, better than not having a plan at all. And since I have a 40+ mile bike ride event coming up in a month… I need to get on my plan for that!

I hope that I can get some support here to follow through :)

Not sure if I want/need to post my daily meals here everyday... I track elsewhere. But today I was on the road during "lunch" and had to resort to my on hand emergency bag of nuts and had some coconut water for the first time. (Not sure if I liked it, might try a different brand) Then grabbed a HB egg and some veggies when I got home. So not a perfect lunch. But breakfast and dinner were both on plan and awesome.

Great day today... Trying to take a digital fast and mostly made it through the day... But here I am looking up recipes and support. But still keeping the TV off and about to get off the computer.

This morning after my spinach egg and sausage scramble I walked to the veggie market and stocked up on some stuff, then rode my bike to the waterfront where we have a farmers market and art festival. Walked around, got some flowers and some awesome locally made spice mixes that fit into the whole30 perfectly. Then rode home. Just got back from the store with my meat purchases and starting my big weekly cook fest.

Making spaghetti for tonight (will have the spaghetti squash, pork sausage, mushrooms and zucchini) other meals for the week will include jalapeño bison burgers, a roasted chicken, salmon cakes and taco salads. Also going to make some egg muffins for my quick breakfasts.

Great workout today. I did an open water swim and improved my time by 7 mins over the same swim back in June. I am bummed though, because I accidentally wore my fitbit in the lake and it might be ruined now... Sitting in rice for now, hoping to bring it back to life.

I felt like I needed a nap this afternoon, but when I laid down... I wasn't feeling it anymore, got up after 15 mins and worked in some more food prep.

Grilling up a bunch of chicken for the week... The weather is beautiful so I might take a walk later today.

I had my first cheat dream. I was at a function/picnic of some kind and we were served sub sandwhiches and cupcakes. I glupped down all this bread and cheese in this sandwhich (which also had lots of delicious meat and avocado) and I think I must have had a cupcake too because there were wrappers lying around. Then In the dream I was on the forums trying to justify/explain my lapse and convince everyone why I didn't need to start over! Yikes! While I am not a huge fan of sub sandwhiches, there is one particular one that my local deli makes that I like... Blue cheese crumbles I do miss.

I cheated and got out the scale... Down 7 pounds since Aug 1st. Happy about the non-scale changes, but the scale is how I have always measured progress and I have 50 to lose. I am afraid of gaining with all the meat and fat. Going from once or twice a day weigh ins to 3 times so far this month is a good improvement. So I am holding on to that.

How do you keep from focusing on the scale/pounds?

You're going strong!  Congratulations.  Sounds like pretty normal course from what I've read and experienced.

The last couple of days I've made "cauliflower rice".  I think this may help you with the no rice thing.  I use a little tupperware chopper I have to process raw cauliflower down to about rice size bits.  Then put it in a bowl, with vented wrap, and nuke for 5 minutes.  I used it last night under some curried broccoli and I found it did what I needed it to do.

Which convinced me that rice (and potatoes) are pretty much vehicles for butter, sauces or other food to my mouth.

Continued good progress to you.

Your weight is just a relationship between you and gravity. It fluctuates throughout the day. It is not a real accurate measure of your health. I was a daily weigher too. I put the scale in the top shelf of a closet nowhere near my bathroom and I'm only allowed to get it out on the 1st of the month now.

What would have happened if you hadn't seen a loss? How would you have reacted? What if you hadn't seen a loss today but it would have been a loss tomorrow. Some weird thing your body just did (seen it so often it makes me want to cry).

Reading this article is what finally sold me: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Surprisingly, I "celebrated" with an unnecessary snack of nuts. My husband had taken the batteries out of the scale for me... But I found some more. i will aks him to hide the scale. I have been feeling Great.. So not sure why I needed the scale confirmation.

Surprisingly, I "celebrated" with an unnecessary snack of nuts. My husband had taken the batteries out of the scale for me... But I found some more. i will aks him to hide the scale. I have been feeling Great.. So not sure why I needed the scale confirmation.

Trust me when I say this. Try to go an entire 30 days without a scale. It will change your whole attitude towards it. You don't know how much you don't miss it until it is gone for a significant amount of time. 

Just re-read the timeline...and I am right on track... Day 12 and I have had the cheating dream and the craving things I don't really like that much and I am mega grumpy and just want to #*&@ing QUIT. But my energy is pretty good, despite not really sleeping well last night. I just don't know if I can face any veggies today.

I WILL GET PAST THIS... I MUST!

I promised myself these boots if I make it to day 30

http://www.rei.com/product/855793/merrell-evera-fade-boots-womens

Its been a long day... And now I have a headache. Did a lot of gardening in the sun, so thinking i got dehydrated. I survivied. I didnt eat any greens today, but lots of other fruits and veggies. So not my best whole30 day, but did not quit and go off roading. Still here, going to bed early and hoping for a better day tomorrow.

The hubby broke (he had been supporting me by mainly eating what I prepared and had agreed not to eat out/order delivery junk during my whole30) and ordered pizza last night. Luckily he did choose toppings that I HATE, hoping that it wouldn't tempt me. He was right. The whole thing smelled gross and greasy. I am frankly amazed and kinda want to post this in success stories. Pizza is a once a week staple in this house, one of my favorites. Plus I was in a rough patch and was in an "I quit" mood. So having pizza in the house could have been a disaster! I just went to the kitchen and made a huge batch of eggs and greens and felt rightous and victorious as he ate his gross pizza.

Woot!

Archived