Triathlon Teacher's First Whole30+

sheba-kitty

Steenieob,

You can hyjack or piggieback my log... :) my hubby is in charge of making his own food, if he doesn't want to eat what I am making. No kids here. There are a lot of really funny blogs out there...this is one of my favorite http://wheatismycrack.com/

Feel free to keep checking in here, or there are also threads that are groups that all started on the same day. Hang in there, it gets a lot HARDER before it gets easier.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made zoodles last night and I think I like them better than spaghetti squash for my pasta replacement. The texture is more like a spaghetti noodle, but they were watery so my bowl of spaghetti ended being a little like italian soup.

Found a HUGE jar of coconut oil at costco at a great price! I have been using a lot of that! Spent over $390 there yesterday, but well stocked on meats that should last for more than a month. Also did the farmers market and got a couple new to me veggies to try out.

Still crazy sore from my first cross fit last Friday. I really hope every work out doesn't kill me like this, or it wont be sustainable for me. Perhaps I didn't eat enough protein right after?

Full school work week starts this week, so it will take a lot more power to stay on track for these last 8 days.

I make my zoodles as follows and they are not so watery (advice came from Susan): Spiralize the veggies, put them in a colander and salt well and mix in with your hands, let sit for 30 minutes, rinse well and then squeeze the excess moisture out with a towel. I usually saute mine for a little while either in a dry pan or in my sauce.

I make my zoodles as follows and they are not so watery (advice came from Susan): Spiralize the veggies, put them in a colander and salt well and mix in with your hands, let sit for 30 minutes, rinse well and then squeeze the excess moisture out with a towel. I usually saute mine for a little while either in a dry pan or in my sauce.

Awesome! i will try that with the rest of the zucchini. I already sliced it up. Thanks

I am thinking of making mayo today. Never been a mayo fan, but do like creamy dressings and dips.. So that's why I want to try.

I am pretty sure that I have eaten more veggies this MONTH, than I had in the past YEAR! My fridge is full of veggies every sunday, and empty again by saturday. Before veggies would only be in the drawer and would get black and slimy before being eaten

.post-34440-0-62754900-1378137378_thumb.j

I've been pondering the mayo too.  

I don't own an immersion blender but this is really tempting me to buy one...

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Mayo will probably be my next weekend's project!  This weekend I made and froze a crustless quiche (Practical Paleo) and have Chocolate Chili (Well Fed) on the stove right now to freeze for the week. That might be all the cooking I have in me for today. I need to sit down and meal plan again!  I started my own food log so I can be as chatty as I want, under "Steenie's First Whole 30 Log." Thank you for being hospitable though :)

Hope you have a great first week back at school... you got this!!!

Just made some homemade mayo with my emersion blender, consistency and color PERFECT. taste.. Literally GAGGED! The lite oil I had was super old and clearly had gone bad! I will have to get some new oil and try again!

Oh lame that the oil was rancid! Definitely give it another shot with good oil.

I started my Whole30 while still on my summer vacation. this was a great choice, and done on purpose, since it allows me lots of free time to plan, shop, cook etc. but now the school year approaches! During the school year my food choices go in waves of good and bad. usually the structure keeps to from doing too much free-range eating, but the stress will often cause me to drink too much and get take out food instead of eating real food. so the real test begins tomorrow as we start with the students.

today was Another day of work, all eating went well. I was a little worried that I would not be able to eat veggies so early in the morning, as that has been an issue before. But apparently my body is adjusting. Not snacking after dinner makes me pretty hungry in the morning. So my greens, sausage and eggs went down well. My pre-packed salad worked out well and deconstucted burgers were great for dinner.

Trying to decide if I want to go back out to the store for oil to try the mayo again.

I have decided some rules for my wine reintroduction and rules to follow for drinking for the forseeable future. I plan to buy a nice bottle, much more spendy than usual. I can only drink ONE glass with dinner at the dining room table. The dinner has to be full whole30 compliant too... no other off road foods plus the wine. No sitting on the couch watching TV and mindlessly refilling my glass, until suddenly I am face down in other snacks and the bottle is suddenly gone. I am worried about sliding into the abyss so need to set my boundaries ahead of time!

Double avoiding temptations today! First offical day back to school and the PTA decides to treat us with 6 dozen doughnuts, scones and muffins.... Placed in the lunch room. Luckily my day was going AWESOME and I had a great lunch with me. So I was NOT even tempted at lunch. But after school when I went to make some copies there were a few still left. I had to walk past quickly and tell myself loudly that I did not want those! I know it was because I was tired after the full day and a little hungry.

Got home and found out that hubby had ordered pizza. Arrrggg!!! Well, I already had a love dinner planned for myself ahi tuna and veggies with sunshine sause. So before being tempted I whipped up my dinnerand ate it without looking or caring about the dumb pizza... Ok I did have to tell him and myself out loud how much I did NOT want the pizza. I do not want the pizza. I do not want the pizza!

I have decided not to do cross fit at this time. I was too sore after the first one (could not even change my shirt for 2 days) and talking to some other workout friends... I just don't think it is the right fit for me RIGHT NOW.

Just finished 2 more hours messing around in the kitchen. I was sitting watching something dumb on TV but the fruit flies were driving me crazy! So I decided all my fruit in the fruit bowl was getting dehydrated! So chopping and setting that up. But still the fruit flies in the kitchen! So juiced 30 limes, some is now in ice cube trays and more in the fridge. Also made my lunch salads and my breakfast greens and meats are chopped and ready to cook for these last 2 days of the work week. Whew! Now for some meditation and sleep!

Great job resisting all those nasty "treats"! Luckily my husband orders pizza that I don't particularly care for (extra sauce, extra pepperoni = heartburn city). Good job listening to your body as well.

Fruit flies are hard to get rid of. I've had some luck with ACV in a bowl tightly covered in plastic wrap with small holes poked in the top. They can get in but not out. I would carefully clean your drains too.

I read a tip on a paleo site (can't remember which one now) that you can freeze whole lemons and limes. It make them easier to zest and if you want to juice them you can just let them defrost in a cup in the fridge. I've got a bag of them in my freezer now but haven't tested past that yet. :)

Today I was chatting with My principal about how well the first days if school Were going for me this year. I told her I thought it was due to my new food program. I feel so clear headed and energetic, so I was super well planned for the first days. She said that clearly it was working for me, that I was positively glowing and that my skin looked terrific. Not that I have had bad skin. A few blemishes now and then... But I do feel glowy.. Just that healthy glow of putting good stuff in my body. So cool that it is noticeable to others.

So yesterday I was in the "25 days is just as good as 30" phase and so sick of veggies. And too tired from work to make something. Plus i am almost out of everything again!

So I got a taco salad from my local mexican place. They must have missed the no cheese part and picked it off afterwards, because a few shreds remained... So then I really wanted to throw in the towel. It wasnt my fault! Damn it!

So today I caved and weighed myself... A hair away from 10 pounds lost! And I put on the new pants that I bought (at costco so hadnt tried them on yet) I got them in the usual size...but they were too big! Woot!

So sticking with it till the end! Which will be a challenge because this afternoon is the beginning of the year staff social at an irish pub. Not sure what I can eat there, so packed a mini meal snack along with my lunch.

4 more days till reintro!

Tough love coming (warning)

I find it ironic that these last two posts came back to back. You got a great compliment and noticed yourself that you are healthier, more energetic, and more focused eating this way! Then you go and let a little cheese accidentally left on your salad drive you to the scale. What if the scale hadn't given you a good number? Would that have thrown you completely off course despite the many positive changes in your body and mind that you are seeing? I worry that if the scale is the only measure of success that you care about that you will go right back to it post-W30 and the first time you see a number you don't like you will decide it is not working anymore. I'm almost 2 months post W30 and I only let myself weigh on the 1st of the month because I want the majority of my data points to be based on things that matter like how I feel emotionally, how my performance is, how my sleep is, how my digestion is, etc. In the post-W30 world these are the only things that can tell you if you are riding your own bike effectively or not. The scale lies and can easily derail us or lead us toward false feelings of success if we let it be our biggest data point.

. What if the scale hadn't given you a good number? Would that have thrown you completely off course despite the many positive changes in your body and mind that you are seeing? I worry that if the scale is the only measure of success that you care about that you will go right back to it post-W30 and the first time you see a number you don't like you will decide it is not working anymore. .

Yes, I know you are right. I know I need to break the power of the scale. I KNOW it intellectually, but stuggle still emotionally. I have gone from one or even twice a DAY weigh-ins to about 5 times during the whole 30. So that is a big improvement. Once a month would be a good goal. And yes I have let it derail me in the past and I don't want it to derail me going forward. Yes, there have been many other great non-scale improvements....

Better sleep

Waking up easily

Needing very little caffine (3-6 cups a day spread out throughout the day to 1 small one. In the am)

Clear skin

More energy especially mental clarity

Enjoying creating new fresh and fun ways to eat veggies

Not feeling sore every time I get out of bed in the am

Low cravings and strong will power ability to avoid off plan foods

Understanding when I am really hungry and not just habit craving

So the scale is clearly another piece to continue to keep working on.

I like this article that a freind shared

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/09/waste-time-finding-perfect-diet.html

Especially the end where it shares how to evaluate if your diet is right for you.

1. Your diet is good if it is helping you achieve normal blood sugar, decent cholesterol readings, low triglycerides and a good blood pressure. If you already have some of these problems, your diet is a good one if it is lessening these markers or allowing you to decrease your medications.

2. Your diet is good if it is allowing you to stay a a good weight. That weight doesn't have to correspond to a perfect BMI, but it should be as low as you can comfortably maintain and should stay relatively stable.

3. Your diet is good if your energy is good. If you are sluggish or have no energy to get out and move around, look at making a dietary change.

4. Your diet is good if it exposes you to the fewest carcinogens. We get enough exposure to cancer causing chemicals in our air, plastics, x-rays, and modern products. Avoidance of processing and additives is the basis for every healthy diet whether it be Primarian, Pritikin, vegetarian or an Atkins variant.

5. Your diet is good if you can believe in it and stick to it. If you are simply eating reflexively, without any specific thought, it's unlikely that your diet is healthy. The reason is simple: we are presented with few good choices. In order to eat well, we have to eat mindfully. On the other hand, exceptions like my aunt Ellie prove the rule.

6. Your diet is good if you wake up without guilt.

So many great improvements in that list! I used to step on the scale every day too. To be honest part of the reason I waited to do a W30 is because I needed to feel ready to give up logging and the scale for 30 days. I definitely challenge you to go an entire 30 days without the scale. Is the scale hidden away somewhere? Maybe tape a note with a date 30 days from now to it...or put it in a box and label it "do not open until {insert date here}" 

I truly believe some of these habits are as important to break as the food is to change.

Accidental reintroduction of RAW WHITE ONIONS.

I went out with all my coworkers to an Irish pub for drinks and dinner. I ordered seltzer water with lime and then got a small green salad with just EVOO. I have always known that raw white onions are an issue for me. but since they aren't off plan, I didn't think about eating them. I have kept to green and red onions during the whole30. Well, just got out of the bathroom... Burning painful gut with explosive loose BM.... the kind I haven't had in months. I was dissecting all my food for the past 24 hours, while sitting there in pain, and nothing seemed odd... Then I went through the types foods that gave me this reaction pre-whole30 and came up with the raw white onions. So not even into the reintro phase yet... But already eliminating RAW WHITE ONIONS permanently from my list of safe foods.

Also the eating out plan did not go well either. They had no safe proteins. I had some emergency nuts with me. The salad was tiny and had no protein. But didn't feel like eating again when I finally got home. Then ended up mindlessly snacking on dried fruit and nuts. So note to myself... Still not done and need to keep a tighter reign on the food plan. Still pleased to have avoided drinking and eating greasy breaded fried pub food! So that is a win!

Today is food planning, shopping and prepping. tomorrow cooking and cleaning. To get ready for our first full week of school.

So many great improvements in that list! I used to step on the scale every day too. To be honest part of the reason I waited to do a W30 is because I needed to feel ready to give up logging and the scale for 30 days. I definitely challenge you to go an entire 30 days without the scale. Is the scale hidden away somewhere? Maybe tape a note with a date 30 days from now to it...or put it in a box and label it "do not open until {insert date here}" 

I truly believe some of these habits are as important to break as the food is to change.

I had the hubby take out the batteries... But i found some and reinserted... So I need him to just take the scale! I agree 30 days without the scale is a good idea. I think I will do my official end weigh in on the 10th and then make him really hid it!

Archived