Starting Tomorrow 8/17 - Anyone Else?

thewyrdwoman

i had a really good day today! i had to take my kids to town for school shopping which is an hour drive so I was really scared that this would be the day that i messed up on the plan. but it wasnt I stayed strong and ate the way i suppose to and i feel happy about it. No more being sad or angry. I actually feel like I am determined again and that maybe I can even go past 30 days!! I sure hope my attitude stays like this!!

Sweetkendall that sucks about the soup and dog!! :/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dinner at the friend's house went pretty well.  I brought my own salad dressing only to find out when I got there that they had already dressed the salad with Caesar dressing and it had Parmesan cheese in it as well so I just put a tiny portion on my plate and didn't eat any.  Then they had tri tip with Montreal seasoning which I hoped was legal and as long as it was the steak and not chicken I think we're good (chicken has "sulfiting agents" in it).  The sweet potatoes were roasted with olive oil and herbs and they were delicious. And I didn't have anything to come home to clean up in the kitchen. That is a double yay as the last two nights I've been working in the kitchen until past 10:30. Tonight I get to just chill.  Oh, and my FIL dropped off 2 dozen fresh eggs from their backyard chickens so I can make scrambled eggs in the morning. DH had previously hard boiled all of the eggs that were left in the house. I'm feeling a little more optimistic about being able to finish the whole 30 days.

Today is already a struggle. I have zero energy and it continues to fade. I figure this is just my bodies way of adjusting but it's still a struggle especially being in nursing school and constantly on the go. Thankfully I have food in the freezer already prepped and ready to go so thank goodness for planning ahead.

Hi everyone,

So awesome to hear everyone's progress, the ups and the downs make me feel more human.

My week was OK but this morning I'm in a rough patch. My personal issue is sadness/boredom eating so I'm nervous about this weekend - no activities planned yet with friends, lots of jobhunting stuff to do and chores, low on food. I have to set myself up better for success but the week was very busy. Gonna eat the last of my real meal food here (have a chicken artichoke thing I can make), then RUN to the grocery store before it wears off.

I want to go to the movies today but I'm afraid of the popcorn and that's bummed me out :( Any ideas for movie treats? Don't say broccolli, lol.

Been energetic while I'm up but sleeping early and LOOONNGGG. Like 9 hours. Anyone else experiencing that?

I want to go to the movies today but I'm afraid of the popcorn and that's bummed me out :( Any ideas for movie treats? Don't say broccolli, lol.

/quote]

Nothing! Seeing the movie is the treat :)

Eating in the dark, watching a movie is mindless eating - you're only eating because you associate movies with popcorn or candy or chocolate..even eating compliant foods would more than likely be mindless eating!

@Nikkianetra, Thanks for the tip! Going grocery shopping today and I'm going to go ahead and snag a sweet potato or two to see if that helps! As far as the movies go, I agree with amberino about the movies. I was a little nervous the first time I went too but after watching them drown all that popcorn in nasty butter and salt, it made me more nauseous than hungry. I was one of those people that grazed throughout the day due to sheer boredom so going to the movies was a good time to really discipline myself and kick the habit. I just bring a water bottle from home and chug away. If it's during one of my meal times, I legitimately sneak in my whole meal and enjoy my lunch about midway through the movie. People look at me like I'm crazy but I would rather be eating my homemade meal then the nasty stuff they are! 

Morning guys! I woke up with incredible energy. Had my first food dream last night - about cake, and in real life I don't ever even eat cake, it's not my weakness (I got others). Weird. Looking forward to cooking some good stuff today. Made salmon & cauliflower, for breakfast. 

I did not go to the movies - too scared! I know popcorn is disgusting but it's such an association. Instead I started watching Homeland Season 2. Today I will get a massage as my treat :) 

It's day 8/9!

Mini Rant: I don't understand why people choose to talk down about my choices and how I want to go about living my life. I went to a party with friends last night and brought along my can of sparkling water as my "drink" of choice. Everything was going fine and dandy until the drinks started flowing for everyone else and then halfway into the party I started getting ridiculed for my choices. Comments ranged from "what your doing is stupid" to "your only in college once and your wasting all the fun times". Um excuse me? I'm wasting MY time in college by making the decision to not drink..that's a first. Not to mention I'm still underage! It's literally so aggravating. I've never been a heavy drinker even before I started the whole30 and never will be. Granted, my 21st birthday is Day 31 of this challenge and I will probably have one drink with dinner and that's it. I don't like the way it makes me feel and due to a gluten intolerance, I can't even have most alcoholic beverages anyways unless it be hard liquor and don't even get me started on that topic.

I just wish people could just accept the way others chose to live out their lives and not drag negativity into the spotlight when addressing the topic. I'm always going to be the health nut, I'm a nursing major for crying out loud and I've been health conscious since I was a little kid. I place a special emphasis on healthy eating and taking care of myself after watching my mom battle obesity for as long as I can remember and after my own personal battle with anorexia. Both those things put together are why I make such an effort to take care of myself and my body and I wish people would just mind their own business and keep their mouths shut if they have nothing nice to say. I don't judge them for their decisions so what gives them the right to judge me for mine? Sorry for the rant session. I just had to let it out. It was a frustrating night to say the least but I woke up feeling refreshed while they all are probably still hungover in bed.  :angry:

Stay strong Haley! Their comments have more to do with how your choices make them feel about their own choices than the do you. Just keep being yourself and don't let the haters drag you down. Maybe time to find a good group of like minded people at school.

Heya to everyone!  Happy Day 10/11 to us!! 

Just a status update here, it's been a rough week due to meds for ear infection & now a reaction to said meds.  I've been sticking with the food plan, but no yoga (ears & balance, etc.) and missed a couple of 11PM curfew nights.  This is my 3rd restart, which I chose to do after an unintentional cheat, all of them actually related to lack of mindfulness in checking before shoving-in-mouth. Mindless eating along with the sugar-dragon are issues I hope to resolve here.

The restarts are a personal decision for me; there's a lot of discussion in these forums related to this topic, with advocates of both sides.  My toughest problem is psycho-food, my physical health issues are chronic & will take time, & that's the main reason for strict compliance. 

Crankiness - yeah, I had that for a couple of days, but I feel slightly calmer the last couple of days.

Tiredness - fairly often, but then I am an old fart

Resentment - big time at the start re: everything I'm missing, but it's much better today. 

Anti-cook/prep syndrome or ACPS - Probably due to a first start ( :huh:) on August 3rd with all the cooking, stocking, prep etc., it's also better.  I also have a cheap trick for contingencies -- monster bags of frozen veggies & the leanest frozen burger patties I can find = dinner in 15 minutes.

My praise & acknowledgment to all the mothers of young children; raising my kids as vegetarians back in the 80s presented similar logistical problems, so I completely empathize with your struggles.  My firstborn did actually make it out of the cart to faceplant on the terrazzo (yes, he was fine after the goose egg went back down).  Hang in there, everyone, we can do this, even if we fall down, we just get back up and try again.  Watching your child learning to walk is a life lesson; where would we all be if we quit after the first fall?

I kind of feel like we couldn't have picked a busier time to start this thing but I knew if I didn't jump in I would never do it.  We are just sooo super busy and all the food prep and clean up are wearing me down.  It's hard to find time and my 2.5 year old daughter wants so badly to help in the kitchen and it makes everything take twice as long.  I let her help as much as she can but when I don't have anything she can do she gets into trouble to try to get my attention.  I get as much as I can done while she's napping or down for the night but I'm just not getting enough down time for myself.  DH is taking me out for dinner and I'm totally looking forward to it though I'm doing a ton of research before we go to make sure we stay on plan.

I've been trying to make enough to have leftovers but DH is eating us out of house and home and I just can't seem to keep up with him.  I need to go to the store again.  I'm used to only going to the store every week to 10 days with a quick milk/produce run in between but I'm needing to do our fourth big trip in the last 11 days.  I hate grocery shopping so that's hard for me too.  I know the timeline says that days 10/11 are usually the most difficult so I'm hoping that is true for us as well.  I don't know if I can do another 20 days if it stays this hard.  But I'm committed to give it at least another week and I'm hoping I'll start to feel some benefit by then.  Even if it's just how much more comfortable I am throwing food together without a recipe, it will have been a great learning experience.

Hi everyone! We are at the 1/3rd mark.  Omg can you believe it!

I'm experiencing great energy now but time-management challenge. I'm running low on food and need to cook & shop badly. Last night low on food I blended cauliflower with a handful of black olives, a tablespoon of coconut oil and had a hamburger (free range at least) patty.  Soo low on food, need to bust a move.

@thewyrdwoman I so have acps - lol - what is the cure???

@healthy_haley never let anyone make you feel bad for not drinking. Alcohol is a poisonous, addictive drug; sure sometimes it may have a place in our lives, but it is absolutely unnecessary for having a great time. Anyone who tries to force you to drink is a loser.

@sweetkendall it sounds like a real grind with the little one on top of all this food prep, but its such a great investment you are making in yourself and your families' future. you will look back and thank yourself so hard, I predict. heroic!

Day 10/11/12!

How's everyone on Day 12 (or 11 or 13)? 

Feeling pretty good here, except for post-meds digestive residuals.  Something is definitely working though, cuz I did my short training run last night, which still felt like a huge struggle in the heat & more walk breaks than normal.  But low & behold when I got home & checked my time, I nearly fell over!!  Beat my fastest 5K race time by 3 minutes!!  (Don't ask -- I'm an old, SLOW, fat runner, just finishing is enough for me!)  My recovery times are also way faster.  I'm liking this more & more!

I've decided to continue on my current Whole30 & not push the restart button.  I posted the question in the troubleshooting section and got some great feedback, especially concerning failure brain weasels! :o

@nikkianetra:  The same cure as for most things -- time!  Really, practice makes perfect & all that; habits take 90 days or so to really gel; the more you do it, the easier it gets, etc., etc., etc., you know the drill!  Nike said it:  "Just DO it!" ;)

The deeper into school I get, the more stressed I'm becoming and my appetite refuses to be tamed. Luckily I'm still keeping it under control but for some reason I'm really starting to struggle. Especially not having as much time to prep, it's leaving me with barely any options when it comes to "fast" meals. 

It also doesn't help that right at the beginning of this month, I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance which rocked my world. I followed Paleo about 85% of the time but still liked my occasional "treat" and for some reason I've really been craving bread lately and oatmeal. Might have to hunt down some GF alternatives after my 30 days and eat in moderation. 

I'm proud of the control I've been able to maintain but it still gets so hard sometimes. I feel like all I do is whine and complain on this board so my apologies. I swear I'm a happy person! Just going a little stir crazy trying to find a balance. 

Hang in there, Haley! We are all supporting each other through the tough bits! Did you post your 3 fast & easy "fallback" meals on the fridge? I keep monster bags of frozen veggies & lean burger patties in my freezer for meals in 15 minutes. Add herbs, fat or homemade mayo/sauce & it's quite good. Especially if I've missed my weekly "cook up". Check the resources page for more ideas.

I got the gluten discovery a couple of years ago - really shook me up too, as I've been making my own "healthy whole wheat" bread for decades! I could live on bread!! Hot from the oven, drool! But even the gluten-free grains were too much for my sugar/carb lust - ended up eating whole pots of "healthy organic oats" at a sitting. It made me crazy!

You are doing a great job staying the course!! Stay strong!!

Hey it's Day 13 for me - longest stretch so far!!! Happy Today, everyone!! We can DO this!!

congrats @thewyrdwoman! 

Day 12 for me, and I think my next move is to knuckle down with a weekend focused on cooking and cleaning. I will make this fun by playing music and turning it into a dance party.

I have cooked almost everything in my house - I'm at the very end of my initial grocery shopping and meal prep from Day 1 and surprised the food lasted that long. Had my last lunch today of spaghetti squash, red sauce and ground beef.  All that's left is eggs, sausage, one eggplant, one tomato, frozen shrimp, canned artichokes, and salsa. So, unless anyone's got a meal idea for that motley crew . . .  ITS GO TIME, lol. I know from my failed attempts that my Achilles heel is running out of food at my house, so I'm going shopping today after work.

I intend to come back to this forum bragging about some new recipes discovered, cooked and enjoyed come Sunday!

Hang in there, people!

What is this boundless energy spoken of in the timeline?  I am getting none of it here.  This is day 13 and I'm still exhausted and non of this is getting any easier.  I'm not having many cravings and they aren't that strong but seriously...I'm not feeling like I'm getting enough out of this to make it worth it.  I want to throw in the towel but I keep hoping that I will turn a corner and start feeling AMAZING like everyone talks about.  Grrr...I just want it to get easier.  My moods and blood sugars are much more stable eating this way but I miss having food be easy. Sorry for the rant - just tired and cranky.

What is this boundless energy spoken of in the timeline? I am getting none of it here. This is day 13 and I'm still exhausted and non of this is getting any easier. I'm not having many cravings and they aren't that strong but seriously...I'm not feeling like I'm getting enough out of this to make it worth it. I want to throw in the towel but I keep hoping that I will turn a corner and start feeling AMAZING like everyone talks about. Grrr...I just want it to get easier. My moods and blood sugars are much more stable eating this way but I miss having food be easy. Sorry for the rant - just tired and cranky.

I think you still have a few days til "tiger blood"? I can't say I noticed a massive difference between pre-whole 30 energy, but my diet wasn't that much different...I have more even energy, less dips...

What is this boundless energy spoken of in the timeline?  I am getting none of it here.  This is day 13 and I'm still exhausted and non of this is getting any easier.  I'm not having many cravings and they aren't that strong but seriously...I'm not feeling like I'm getting enough out of this to make it worth it.  I want to throw in the towel but I keep hoping that I will turn a corner and start feeling AMAZING like everyone talks about.  Grrr...I just want it to get easier.  My moods and blood sugars are much more stable eating this way but I miss having food be easy. Sorry for the rant - just tired and cranky.

You are not even half way through the program yet. Give it time. I didn't notice much increased energy until after day 14 and I would never say I had "tiger blood" but I had a vast reduction in my afternoon sleepiness and a complete removal of my brain fog that is worth more to me than "tiger blood". All that said there may be tweeks you can make that would help you out. Are you keeping a food log on here? If not could you post some sample meals? 

@sweetkendall & @jen_oro one thing that happened to me on my last attempt that i'm doing differently now and that might help your energy - water.

Pre-w30 I used to drink sports drinks and diet soda all the time, so I was getting some water that way; but with those all out of the picture on W30, on my last attempt I realized I wasn't actually even drinking 2 cups of water a day! Now I'm trying to get at least 40oz in, at work in the morning, as insurance . . . blah. I hate drinking plain water but it's helping me this time alot.

I have not gotten the full-on tiger blood effect either; but I have had a couple of days that felt pretty darn good and the fatigue I was having early on has pretty much disappeared.  It may just take some of us longer, depending on physiology, age, gender, other lifestyle factors, etc., etc.

My motivators have been focusing on other benefits I'm noticing; things like not feeling ravenous all the time, better performance with my running & faster recovery afterward, less joint stiffness, less irritability overall.  The appetite thing is actually really major for me -- it's really hard to stick to a plan that leaves me hungry ALL THE TIME, even after a substantial meal.  That is the worst feeling, physically & emotionally.  Finding a way of eating that keeps me satisfied with reasonable amounts of (yummy!) food for long periods of time is pretty amazing after a lifetime of struggling with diets & weight.

I'm still exhausted as well. Ready to wake up and be refreshed but I'm finding that's difficult with my school schedule!

The past few days have been a lot better and I've been in more control which is nice! Had a slight "binge" on raw nuts but proceeded to have my roommate hide them from me while I was gone and now I have no idea where they are and plan on keeping it that way until my whole 30 is done! I'm also going to stay away from high sugar fruits for the last half and focus on more vegetable consumption and lower overall carb intake. My grocery list will contain very few fruits so it will be interesting to see how my body adapts. Less fruit, no nuts and definitely no nut butters for this last half! Here goes nothing.

Archived