Starting Tomorrow 8/17 - Anyone Else?

thewyrdwoman

Happy Day 14/15/16 (15 for me)!

I too have cut fruit waaaay down & started eating more sweet potatoes. Still having a serving of almond butter with dinner sometimes though. I fought & whined & argued about the fruit-for-dessert thing but remembered that sugar craving is one of my biggest reasons for doing Whole30. It was suggested that I add a touch of fruit TO the meal to minimize blood sugar impact - I found it to be very helpful; I get to taste the deliciousness & feel less "deprived".

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16 for me! Whoop! Over the halfway hump! I was craving Mexican food tonight so I settled with a chicken "faux"-jita. Made the base out of egg whites and topped with some Frank's hot sauce (don't worry! I checked to ensure it was compliant!), chicken, onion, and peppers. This meal definitely satisfied my craving. Experimenting with pulled pork tomorrow so fingers crossed it works out.

Day 16 for me! Whoop! Over the halfway hump! I was craving Mexican food tonight so I settled with a chicken "faux"-jita. Made the base out of egg whites and topped with some Frank's hot sauce (don't worry! I checked to ensure it was compliant!), chicken, onion, and peppers. This meal definitely satisfied my craving. Experimenting with pulled pork tomorrow so fingers crossed it works out.

i love making a "Taco salad" - loads of crunchy lettuce, beef chilli or chicken cooked with lots of spices, salsa, guacamole...it's yum!

is there a reason you just used eggwhites? did you add any other fat to your dinner?

Day 16! Cooked all day; made:

* Chicken & Artichokes w/ anchoives

* Salmon cakes from ISWF

* Marinara meat sauce for my spaghetti squash

Buying a rotisserie chicken and another thing of spinach tonight. With my cauliflower, eggs, sausage and sweet potatoes . . . I think I am set for the week. Never did make it to the movies as it's best I avoid mindless eating triggers right now, but I rewarded myself with a massage and Game of Thrones book 1 :) Polished off a carton of strawberries and three small bananas since Friday, so I don't think I'll restock fruit on this next trip to the grocery store.

Good luck out there! We're so close.

@healthy_haley:  That sounds so yummy. 

If you're a Mexi-fan, do make the WF chocolate chili, then check out my huevos "rancheros" post (you'll excuse the bragging, after a lifetime of vegetarian, whole grain cookery, I get so excited when I do something yummy with meat):  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13198-ha-huevos-rancheros-whole30-style/

:wub:

Welp..along with today comes good news and bad news. The good news is I no longer have any nuts in my house. The bad news is I binged on the nuts prior to that happening which resulted in an empty jar and an angry mindset. 

I had my first big exam today and an intense crossfit workout followed so my metabolism was raging..all my meals fit the template but I found myself still starving after dinner so one handful turned into two and then the rest is history. 

I'm trying to remind myself that mistakes happen and it's not like I broke whole 30 compliancy, but it's still frustrating. At least I can now breathe a sigh of relief at the fact that there are no more around me nor will I buy anymore to fill the void of the ones I just ate. So Day 18 was not a good one but at least now it's over, I made a mistake and can't undo it but I can learn from it and use that knowledge to carry out the rest of my whole 30 nut free. I will say that I am doing well with lessening my fruit intake which is a pro to add to the con listed above with nuts. I've managed to bring myself down to one serving a day, sometimes even none. So cheers for that! And cheers for learning from our mistakes and moving on!

Bring it on Day 19. 

@healthy_haley:  Good job on persisting & learning from the experience!!

Had another "wow-I'm-suddenly-really-tired-&-need-to-go-to-bed-now" last night, but overall my energy level has improved with fewer dips & spikes for the last week or so. 

A weird benefit I just noticed -- toenail fungus is going away.  Really, I checked with family to see if I was imagining it, and they noticed it too.  I guess the increase in protein (and/or fat?) is promoting nail growth, which I definitely noticed on my hands, and the reduction in systemic inflammation is allowing my feet to fight off the little buggers?!  Well, I'll take it, whatever is responsible.  :P

I'm really struggling today.  I thought it would somehow be easier by now.  There isn't a lot of food in the house despite the fact that I went shopping Monday and I just don't feel like eating because I don't know what to make.  The grocery budget is really suffering and DH is going to be out of town for a few days and so I'm heading to my parents' with my toddler and I went to an event this morning where there was tempting food and I refrained but it's awkward to be the only one at a table of 10 and not eat.  My total intake of food for the day was 2 eggs and a banana for breakfast (running out the door before my "breakfast meeting") and a few blueberries from my daughter's lunch before putting her down for nap.  The meal I made last night was a total flop (pork ribs and apple cabbage slaw but the pork ribs were bad when I opened up the package).  And I think about 40% of our meals are on the run or out of the house for at least one of us.  I'm seriously considering giving up.  I've learned a lot but I just don't know if I can do another 10 days of this.

Hope everyone is still kicking butt!! I hope you didn't give up SweetKendall! We are so close! If you did quit though, I understand completely. It can be a really complicated process...I've definitely struggled a lot just being in college alone so I can't even imagine having a family to deal with as well. Sending sweet thoughts your way! Even if you don't make it to 30, you still made it far which is a huge accomplishment!

@sweetkendall:  I hope you are feeling less stressed regardless of whether or not you are able to continue this Whole30.  <hug>

When I read that planning & preparation are the keys to Whole30 success, I just sort of glossed over that point, 'cuz I'm a "not-the-conventional-diet" champ, having become a vegetarian back in the day when most people thought it was a third-world religion.  Found out the hard way that having contingency plans are essential for me -- life always intervenes in my "regular" plan. 

You can always restart your Whole30 or do another one at a different time.  You did say that you'd learned a lot, so maybe you can experiment with some strategies for "fallback" meals.  I do most of my cooking in big batches on the weekend & freeze/store extras, like breakfast casserole that makes 12 portions to wrap & freeze.  Lots of recipes/suggestions at theclothesmakethegirl.com & nomnompaleo.com

Sorry it took so long to respond -- had a long weekend mini-vacation.  Sincere best wishes heading your way, though!!  :wub:

Well, I wouldn't say that I've quit but I did cut myself some slack.  I have been 100% compliant at home and about 85% compliant while out. My daughter was sick with croup the last four days and DH was out of town and I was staying with my parents Fri/Sat and the fridge was bare.  I just had to concede on some lunch meat with soy, some BBQ sauce on my tri tip out at dinner (though I cut off much of the outer layer some was still there), and my salad came with croutons and I just didn't eat them but I'm sure I ended up with a few crumbs consumed.  I'm ok with it.  Stressing out over it was more unhealthy than just doing my best and continuing along the way.  I will keep at it and do the best I can and not worry about the rest.  This week should be a little calmer so I'm hopeful I can finish strong.

Stressing out over it was more unhealthy than just doing my best and continuing along the way.

Big, BIG lesson here for me as well - kudos for your commitment to your SELF.

Happy Day 26, everyone! 

Also, a moment of silence for all those who sacrificed on this day, 12 years ago.

Confession time...with 2 days left to go. I caved :( Not badly...but while doing my hospital rotation today I took a piece of gum from one of the other nurses and munched away without even realizing what I had done until after the fact. Not a huge cheat but still broke the rules :( Stupid 5am wake up calls make me lose my train of thought and mind. I'm so disappointed but I'm proud to say I made it 27 compliant days..and I am going to make the rest of today as well as the next 3 still compliant until my birthday Monday! Whoops. Just felt the need to confess.

Congrats to all of us who made it!   :D 

I'm going to get the "I did it" banner for my Facebook page and then re-up for another 30 days to make it a Whole60+!  My chronic health conditions need more time & I may end up with a Whole90 or something.

Love to hear reintro stories from everyone that is "ready to ride without training wheels".

Archived