Trader Joe's Clarified Butter (Ghee)

freelei

i just started the whole30 three days ago, and have started stocking up my pantry. i was delighted to see that trader joe's sells jars of ghee! however, it does not say anything about being organic (but the cows are not treated with rBST). i know it's recommended that we have ghee/clarified butter from 100% organic and pasture-raised cows, but is this ghee still an ok option? i'm working on a fairly tight budget.

here's what it says on the label:

"ingredients: unsalted butter. contains milk."

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Also, it is really super easy to make your own. Trader Joe's also should have Kerrygold unsalted butter. I bought my first jar of ghee but then after doing more research I realized it how easy it was to just make it. 

I just bought my first jar of ghee from Trader Joe's and it's so separated. Silly question but how do I use it? Am I supposed to shake it up until the solids and liquid mix or just take the liquid off the top? There's definitely wayyyy more liquid than solid so I don't see the two melding nicely unless I put it in a blender. Any thoughts?

I just bought my first jar of ghee from Trader Joe's and it's so separated. Silly question but how do I use it? Am I supposed to shake it up until the solids and liquid mix or just take the liquid off the top? There's definitely wayyyy more liquid than solid so I don't see the two melding nicely unless I put it in a blender. Any thoughts?

mine was all separated too! and the "solid" parts were gritty / grainy. I stuck a knife in it and stirred it up. I tried refrigerating it, but it got too hard to scoop out. I won't buy it again.

I haven't bought TJ's ghee, but after buying 2 jars of retail ghee I decided it was time to make my own clarified butter and it was a success. My local Trader Joe's sells the Kerrygold butter (recommended by the Hartwigs for making clarified butter). 

I've had bad luck with the TJs ghee.....it's all gritty. :(

Has anyone else tried it? the Purity Farms brand from Whole Foods is so smooth and beautiful comparatively.

i agree with your observations of the tj's ghee but i honestly don't have a problem with it. i've never had ghee before, so i guess i don't know!

i haven't really mixed it...i've just scooped some out and let it melt in the pan before cooking something. it melts fine. maybe mine isn't as separated as yours?

i suppose once i run out of this jarred ghee i will try making my own. thanks for the butter brand recommendations GFChris!

I bought my first jar of clarified butter at Whole Foods and it came with this really neat jar with a lid.  Since then I have made my own clarified butter and used this same jar to store it in.  It's perfect.  Here is the recipe I used to make mine.  It really is SO easy and saves so much money to do it on your own.  Then you can buy the more expensive grassfed butter and make it! 

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/how-to-clarify-butter-recipe/

I bought my first jar of clarified butter at Whole Foods and it came with this really neat jar with a lid.  Since then I have made my own clarified butter and used this same jar to store it in.  It's perfect.  Here is the recipe I used to make mine.  It really is SO easy and saves so much money to do it on your own.  Then you can buy the more expensive grassfed butter and make it! 

That's the same recipe I use: easy peasy!

• 2 weeks later...

I do the same with my ghee jars. Make my own ghee and store it in the jars, also use the jars for mayo. :) I knew saving them would come in handy!

Because the TJ's ghee is liquidy for me (I live in Phoenix... at TJ's, all of the jars of coconut oil on the shelf are completely liquid), I use it to cook with. I use the Purity Farms ghee (kept in the fridge) to flavor stuff (like adding to sweet potatoes, or finishing a sauce). The Purity Farms ghee tastes sweeter and cleaner, and I'd rather put solid, butter like ghee on my sweet potatoes, instead of drizzling a liquid.

I also bought Purity Farms - at New Seasons in the Portland, OR area. I'd never had ghee so I didn't know any better, but everything NS carries is healthy, and since it the only one they had in stock, that's what I brought home. So far I've only used it with eggs but it's very good. I'll try making my own next time since ghee could become a pricey habit.  :) 

I bought Trader Joe's ghee, and I don't think it's truly clarified.  There are milk solids precipitating out.  When I make my own ghee, it will solidify in cooler temperatures, but it's a homogenous solid, like coconut oil at cooler temperatures.  This clarified butter stratifies, with real solids in it, not temperature dependent.  Therefore I question if it's really compliant.  I'm going to email TJ's--they are pretty responsive by email. 

I bought Trader Joe's ghee, and I don't think it's truly clarified.  There are milk solids precipitating out.  When I make my own ghee, it will solidify in cooler temperatures, but it's a homogenous solid, like coconut oil at cooler temperatures.  This clarified butter stratifies, with real solids in it, not temperature dependent.  Therefore I question if it's really compliant.  I'm going to email TJ's--they are pretty responsive by email. 

Ugh. I really hope it is. I've been using it during my whole whole30. Today's my last day!

I am on my 5 day ... Have used Trader Jo's ghee the whole time on my vegetables as an oil... Is this wrong?... I have not cooked with it....I have never tasted ghee prior to this but think it's yummy...

You're fine. You can use it on top of vegetables and as your cooking fat.

Archived