Frustrated with FODMAP and tummy issues

I'm so frustrated with my stomach. And I'm frustrated that my food choices are getting more and more limited as time goes on. It's so hard to stick to low FODMAP when basically everything I was eating, and everything that I really like, is high FODMAP.

But the gas and bloating is just getting to be way too much. I think even the amount of sweet potatoes I'm eating is giving me a problem now. I eat them so I can get through my workouts, but now I'm thinking that maybe I need to forego my beloved cardio program and running for a couple months so I can get my stomach back in normal working order. I just really hate the idea of doing that. I've worked so hard on my conditioning and I'm in such a great place with my fitness. How long will I have to eat this way to fix my tummy?

:(

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Marissa,

Did you manage to overcome this? I've been having the exact same problems for a couple of months and it just made me not want to eat anything for fear of ballooning.

Now a few weeks, a SAD blow-out and the accompanying illness and I've been officially diagnosed with IBS by my doctor this morning. That it's come from a professional rather than my own guesswork and experimentation, I've come to accept that if I want to be bloat free, then I need to eat low FODMAP, with the occasional deviation in pjs at home with nowhere to go!

I probably will not be sticking 100% to Whole9, as the Whole30 left me more stressed than before when I was on 90% + paleo. It will be down to self-experimentation now, keeping a food diary and whittling down the FODMAP list into what reacts with my system and what is ok.

Good luck with your journey, I hope we can beat this! :)

@Marissa It's not according to the Whole30 guidelines but you might want to toy with substituting the sweet potatoes for regular ones,or eat lots of pumpkin/beets or banana/plantain(not the overly ripe ones though) after your workout,bc even though they're fibrous sweet potatoes are also high in fructose which makes it a FODMAP too.

Archived